PDA

View Full Version : So I was in a car accident.

TeeKup
February 13th, 2008, 04:20 PM
We were on our way to school and basically a few hundred yards down the road my father suddenly says, "Joshua I can't see I need to turn around and go home." So we do, he crosses into a short little entrance to a neighborhood and then proceeds to turn to home, suddenly, he blacks out (has had a major flu lately, high fever must have gotten him) and keeps going past the white line on the street. Next thing I see is a black COIT truck slam our truck.

Now at this point, I had no time to be scared. I slung my arms in front of me to protect myself and slid down in my seat, all of that RIGHT as the truck hit us. Apparently that saved me from colliding into the dash board. Our 2002 Dodge Dakota did a 180 and rolled back down into the neighborhood. After it was all over I looked up. My dad had gone into shock for a few seconds, apparently he hit his head on the steering wheel or the window, I don't know.

I shake him and he comes too. The first thing out of his mouth was, "I wrecked my damn truck..." lol. He really loved that truck. Our jack russel terrier was riding with us, he was shaken pretty badly but he didn't receive any injuries. I'm still shaken a bit but myself and my father are ok.

http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/1157/0000036ky2.jpg
http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/782/0000037ye6.jpg
http://img206.imageshack.us/img206/3292/0000038zv9.jpg

Sever
February 13th, 2008, 04:32 PM
Shit, man. Glad everyone's ok. I've only been in a fender bender (the receiving car) but it is still quite a jolt to the system. Damn.

Limited
February 13th, 2008, 04:39 PM
Bloody hell that trucks smashed. Glad you, your dad and dog are okay :) Thats a beast of a truck too, probably not biggest in USA, but I saw a big one earlier today in the street, probably same sized as yours and it just looked goofy as hell compared to our regular cars.

I suppose being in a truck is safer isnt it? Or at least if you hit a truck its better to be in one than a reg car?

TeeKup
February 13th, 2008, 04:42 PM
http://nmxs-images.forbesautos.com/streamer/news/headlines/2006/billionaire_cars/dodge_dakota?WID=336
Thats what ours was like, except it was Jet black. The Dakota is the minor truck in dodge. Dodge actually make very sturdy and very durable trucks, which is why my dad got it. No doubt our lives were sparred due to the ingenuity of the truck. Dodge IS one of the biggest brands in the country.

Xetsuei
February 13th, 2008, 05:31 PM
I'm sorry for OT but, F150 is much better.

TeeKup
February 13th, 2008, 05:33 PM
Yes it is, unfortunately at this time Ford is approaching bankruptcy. Which I find displeasing because I'm a fan of the Ford Escape and the new Mustang.

PenGuin1362
February 13th, 2008, 05:45 PM
Yes it is, unfortunately at this time Ford is approaching bankruptcy. Which I find displeasing because I'm a fan of the Ford Escape and the new Mustang.

OMG! Guigiaro concept looks fucking hot! WANT! it is a shame, i have a '98 mustang and its been great. :(

Glad everyones alright but that sucks about the truck : / will your insurance cover any of that?

TeeKup
February 13th, 2008, 05:52 PM
I'm hoping so. :I

Con
February 13th, 2008, 06:27 PM
Glad you and your dad (and your dog) are all right, teekmeister!

ExAm
February 14th, 2008, 12:59 AM
I got into a car accident yesterday. Sort of. I scraped the rubber part of my neighbor's bumper as I was turning the corner (His truck was hanging out, in my defense). No damage whatsoever. A scuff on the rubber. My dad freaked out, though, also there were cops about 60 feet away picking up a guy who had been jumping fences. With knives.

Con
February 14th, 2008, 01:01 AM
silly fence jumper, everyone knows you shouldn't run with knives

Bodzilla
February 14th, 2008, 02:20 AM
Ino rite.

Scissors is the only way to go.

Cortexian
February 14th, 2008, 04:22 AM
I was in a collision awhile ago with a guy on a motorcycle who failed to stop at a stop sign... I was driving my moms Buick Park Avenue, turning left at a 4 way stop, we was on the opposite side going straight through.

Busted front bumper and headlight for me.

Busted crotch rocket and wrist for him.

I win, he's trying to put all the blame on me though because I'm 17, so that automatically makes it my fault. Fuck stereotypes. There are now lights at that intersection (lots of minor crashes there apparently, mine was the last straw though, so now I call them "my traffic lights").

Bodzilla
February 14th, 2008, 05:17 AM
never crashed a car.

but i have been over 200km/h (120 miles/hour)
Holly fuck your moving at that speed.

never doing that again.

beele
February 14th, 2008, 05:29 AM
glad you and the others are ok.

Leiukemia
February 14th, 2008, 09:52 PM
jesus man, I'm really glad you and your dad are ok! I saw the thread title and got all worried.

PlasbianX
February 14th, 2008, 09:57 PM
Did you scream like a little girl when it happened? :D

Bad Waffle
February 14th, 2008, 11:02 PM
never crashed a car.

but i have been over 200km/h (120 miles/hour)
Holly fuck your moving at that speed.

never doing that again.

me and my sister went 100mph in our old minivan on the highway. It looked like this.

http://randsco.com/_img/blog/0603/miniVan.jpg

We thought the car was going to explode. at least the transmission.

Mr Buckshot
February 14th, 2008, 11:15 PM
Your dad shouldn't have gotten behind the wheel if he were ill. And when he said he needed to "turn around," it would have been better to pull over and stop the vehicle. And possibly let you take over as an emergency.

But yeah, you're lucky to be unhurt. How big was the truck that hit you? With the laws of physics, big vehicle vs smaller vehicle = occupants of bigger vehicle more likely to survive since their vehicle has more physical mass. Y'know, F = ma and all that. And it's mean of me, but LOL @ how you described the dog's feelings too...

Eh, there's a new technology these days that has an infrared camera on the dashboard monitoring the driver - if the driver slumps or looks away for more than 5 seconds, an alarm sounds. If there's still no response within 3 seconds, the brakes are automatically applied. Did I mention that my car has this (I'm serious)? It should become a standard feature in ALL vehicles regardless of brand by 2010 due to the fact that drivers are becoming more reckless. If your truck had that, it most likely would still be intact - either the alarm would wake up the driver or the brakes would apply themselves.

Damage looks bloody bad. Is the truck still functional at the very least? Don't drive at night since it looks like the headlights are gone.

By the way, Zilla, my parents have almost never gone over 80 km/h since there are no highways within Vancouver (the highways here connect cities, but they don't cut through the cities themselves). As a result, any Vancouver resident who owns a car with a big engine will find that those extra cylinders are pretty much wasted. (end off topic)

TeeKup
February 15th, 2008, 12:37 PM
It's just a flu Buckshot, we never thought he would have passed out. However the factors are the fact he didn't eat any breakfast or dinner the night before. I tend to stay in my room when at home and mom was house sitting, if he had told me we wouldn't have even gotten on the road.

We're not exactly rich and spoiled like you either. By the end of the year my family won't be middle class anymore cause of what this is going to cost us. I need to start looking for scholarships and grants if I'm ever going to get into college..

Thank you for your concerns everyone, we'll be fine. And no, the truck is no longer operational, its been classified as totaled. Despite the relatively low damage to the frame, its unable to fix.

TeeKup
February 15th, 2008, 04:03 PM
So it turns out my family might be sued for $40,000 because our insurance won't cover all the charges. BULLSHIT

We didn't even do that much FUCKING damage to them. I saw their truck after it was over. It was a fender bende compared to what happened to our dodge.

http://www.coit.com/about.html

There a goddamn cleaner service for christs sake, why the hell would they sue for 40 grand.

Huero
February 15th, 2008, 04:19 PM
Your dad was endangering himself and others by driving. ):

TeeKup
February 15th, 2008, 04:46 PM
It happaned at random.

He told us that when we left the house he felt perfectly fine.

PenGuin1362
February 15th, 2008, 06:10 PM
unless the doctor specifically said don't drive for X amount of days, there was no way for your dad to know he was putting everyone at risk if he thought he was feeling fine before he left.

Mr Buckshot
February 15th, 2008, 07:28 PM
There a goddamn cleaner service for christs sake, why the hell would they sue for 40 grand.

they're American and want to make as much money as possible off a minor incident.

Hope you can replace the truck...I don't quite understand how exactly insurance works, but over here, if the damage is unintentional, you can be insured for the purchase of another vehicle.

Bodzilla
February 15th, 2008, 07:41 PM
it depends on what type of insurance you have.
comprehensive, 3rd party ect.