PDA

View Full Version : lol terrorism mb? Actually arson

Mr Buckshot
February 14th, 2008, 11:26 PM
Only 2 days ago, someone bombed a Taco Del Mar restaurant in Broadway, Vancouver (only 11 minutes drive from where I live). Blast destroyed the restaurant, a neighboring Starbucks, and also shattered the glass windows of nearby businesses, including a Holiday Inn room.

It's a miracle no one was killed. We were all gossiping about it yesterday, and a lot of stupid people were like "z0mg is Osama targeting us next?" I LOL'ed so hard when I heard that, it was such a stupid question. Then someone else remarked that if it were a nuke, we'd all have perished along with half of the Greater Vancouver district and neighboring Richmond. Now that sent chills up my spine.

Anyway, we have new information:

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-columbia/story/2008/02/14/bc-explosion-suspect-burned.html?ref=rss

Apparently, he must be a noob at arson to get injured by his own creation. If Al Qaeda's reading this, they must be shocked and disappointed.

Vancouver police say they've found a suspect in the fire and explosion that destroyed a taco restaurant and a coffee shop on the city's west side early Wednesday morning.
A man is in hospital with burns to 40 per cent of his body, police said Thursday morning. He is not currently under arrest, they said.

http://www.cbc.ca/gfx/images/news/photos/2008/02/13/bc-080213-broadway-blast6.jpgA Starbucks cafe and a Taco Del Mar restaurant were destroyed by the blast Wednesday morning.
(CBC) Police allege he is the same man that two witnesses said they saw running away from the scene of the fire and explosion, which destroyed the Taco Del Mar at 680 West Broadway Ave. and the neighbouring Starbucks, as well as damaging several other businesses.
Det.-Const. Rodger Shepard, a Vancouver police arson investigator said the suspect used two taxi cabs to make his getaway.
Both cars were impounded by forensic investigators, along with the digital camera footage from the cabs and surveillance camera footage from shops in the surrounding area.
The incident was an arson that went terribly wrong, said Shepard, adding police have little other information to release at this time.
"I'm not going to identify this person and I'm not going to give you specifics. The person does know he is under investigation. But that's as far as we'll go at this point," said Shepard.
The detective credited the teamwork of Vancouver fire department investigators for the break in the case and said they were confident the suspect would soon be charged with arson endangering life.
On Wednesday, police said a significant amount of accelerant was used to start the fire in the taco shop, and when an open flame was introduced, the explosion took place.
Investigators will not confirm the type of accelerant that was used, but said one gallon of gas can be equivalent to 15 sticks of dynamite when an open flame is introduced.
Witnesses said the explosion created a fireball that engulfed the taco shop and neighbouring Starbucks.
Windows were shattered at several businesses in the area, including the London Drugs store across the street.
The explosion also blew in a sixth-floor window at the Holiday Inn half a block away, but nobody, except for the apparent suspect, was hurt by the blast.
On Wednesday, the owner of the restaurant, Manjeet Nandha, told CBC News Wednesday she could not think of any reason why someone would set fire to her establishment.

There's no real evidence to arrest him, but he sounds like a very likely candidate. Thumbs up to the Vancouver Police Department for acting quickly and finding a suspect. My apologies for insulting you earlier, though I wish you could do your job like this all the time.

As traumatizing as this incident is for the owner of the restaurant, Mexican baked beans taste like shit.

Pope
February 15th, 2008, 03:36 AM
It's a miracle no one was killed. We were all gossiping about it yesterday, and a lot of stupid people were like "z0mg is Osama targeting us next?" I LOL'ed so hard when I heard that, it was such a stupid question. Then someone else remarked that if it were a nuke, we'd all have perished along with half of the Greater Vancouver district and neighboring Richmond. Now that sent chills up my spine.

I'm surprised that you think like that. I find Vancouver to be one of the safest places in the world. I'm not afraid to walk down my street, take the Skytrain and even go for a jog in the park in most outrageous of hours. A bomb? Hell, after this incident that idea didn't even cross my mind, let alone made me have chills down my spine.

As traumatizing as this incident is for the owner of the restaurant, Mexican baked beans taste like shit.

Jesus Christ. I can't believe you can even make that remark.

PS. The owner is Eastern Indian (Can't wait for you to talk about them).

PSS. I don't think anyone really gives a fuck about Vancouver news.

CN3089
February 15th, 2008, 07:01 AM
Could you detonate a bomb in Vancouver and not hit a Starbuck's? :v

OmegaDragon
February 15th, 2008, 08:09 AM

Anyway, we have new information:

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-columbia/story/2008/02/14/bc-explosion-suspect-burned.html?ref=rss

Apparently, he must be a noob at arson to get injured by his own creation. If Al Qaeda's reading this, they must be shocked and disappointed.

Al Qaeda has nothing better to do other than go to Canada and blow up a Mexican restaurant these days.

Anyways, lucky no one was hurt.

Con
February 15th, 2008, 12:16 PM
I find Vancouver to be one of the safest places in the world
http://geoscape.nrcan.gc.ca/victoria/images/earthquakesc_big_e.jpg

Let's just hope the stress keeps releasing in small amounts, or we're both screwed.

Mr Buckshot
February 15th, 2008, 09:23 PM
I find Vancouver to be one of the safest places in the world.

It's not so true any more. Look at how many shooting deaths have occurred in the past few months. They're all targeted at specific people, but one incident in neighboring Richmond had a stray bullet paralyzing an innocent woman. The RCMP tells us not to fear for our safety since the shootings are targeted, but there's nothing stopping a stray bullet from hitting a civilian. There was even a drive-by shooting in downtown once. And this happens in a province that bans private ownership of guns in most areas. And it just happens to be that we're extremely near the US-Canada border...see where the guns all come from?

I know no one cares about local news. If it had been simple vandalism or something, I wouldn't have made a thread. I was only inspired to make a thread after some idiots at school gossiped about how this was linked to Al Qaeda when we all know that if it were Al Qaeda's work, it'd be a lot more professional, with at least one suicide involved.

Mexican baked beans are t3h suck. But burritos are t3h awesomes. Screw whoever bombed the restaurant, I like Mexican food for the most part (until it induces poop emergencies).

Emmzee
February 15th, 2008, 09:24 PM
OMG YOU GUYS CRIMES THAT HARDLY EVER HAPPEN GET REPORTED AS IF THEY HAPPEN EVERY HOUR ON THE HOUR AND IT'S ALL SOMEHOW AMERICA'S FAULT
That's what I read.

Also, you live in Vancouver. Population 611,869. It's a big city. The bigger the city, the more crimes happen, fact.

While I have read that the Vancouver crime rate is spiraling upward, you have nothing to fear. You're rich, and therefore live in a good part of town.

SnaFuBAR
February 15th, 2008, 10:21 PM
i'ma make a trip to vancouver and rob you.

TeeKup
February 15th, 2008, 10:26 PM
"You must spread some reputation around before giving it to Snafubar again"

:gonk: