PDA

View Full Version : Article on tasers. Read it, comment. Please.

thehoodedsmack
February 19th, 2008, 09:09 PM
So I did this for a feature article in my Writers Craft class. Advice would be cool. Thanks in advance.

~Smack

Don’t Tase Me, Bro!

A look at the controversial use of tasers in law enforcement

Smack

February 20, 2008

I’d like to open this article with a little explanation as to the title. Perhaps you’ve heard these words before, or if you haven’t, allow me to explain. The phrase “Don’t tase me, bro!” was first uttered by University of Florida student Andrew Meyer, at a campus talk with Senator John Kerry, the former Presidential candidate. Meyer, 21, who barged into the discussion rather loudly, and by all means disrespectfully, began to ask rather outlandish questions of the Senator, who kindly offered to answer them. But by this point, police officers had started to get involved. Attempting to remove Meyer from the hall where the talk was being held, the officers began violently restraining him, and even as he offered to leave on his own will, more officers held him down. It was around this point that one police officer pulled out a taser, or stun-gun; essentially a handheld pistol designed to shoot projectiles which embed themselves in a person’s skin, and then release a painful, temporarily crippling electric shock into their body. Meyer then spoke the now famous line “Don’t tase me, bro! Don’t tase me!”, and was held down, while the taser was used to render him harmless. The quote has since become something of an internet phenomenon, with multiple videos of the tasering on popular sites such as YouTube, and even “Don’t tase me, bro!” merchandise. While Meyer was not seriously hurt, and had no lasting injuries, the incident has raised questions on whether or not tasers belong in our police forces, and when the use of them begins to infringe on our rights, crossing over into police brutality. In this article, I’d like to look at the varied opinions surrounding taser use, and if you’d be so kind, continue reading, and use this article as a basis for your own opinion, on what is becoming a very important issue in the way we police our communities.

Since we are Canadian citizens, I’d like to focus mainly on the opinions of Canadians. Unfortunately, many Canadians, and worldwide citizens for that matter, are under the impression that tasers are meant to replace firearms; that they are safe, and will not cause lasting harm. This is of course, incorrect. Tasers are by no means a replacement. In a recent interview, Cst. Adam Cheadle, the Use of Force Coordinator of the Winnipeg Police Service stated that: "Tasers are not meant to replace firearms,... The Taser is on the same playing field as a baton or [pepper] spray." This theory that tasers are as harmless (relative to a firearm) as a baton or pepper spray may be cause for the misuse of the tools by law enforcement officers. However, as history has shown us, the lethality of tasers is a real issue. Robert Dziekanski was the victim of a tragic misuse of tasers in mid October, 2007. Dziekanski was a Polish immigrant to Canada, who did not speak English. After hours of confusion, lost inside Vancouver Airport, he began acting irritated, and RCMP officers were called in. The officers were quick to use tasers on the man. In fact, tasers were used on Dziekanski within 25 seconds of his confrontation with police. Dziekanski went into cardiac arrest shortly after, and was pronounced dead in the airport. I use the example of Dziekanski because it shows us that even Canada is not immune to the incompetence of police, which we usually associate quite stereotypically with out southern neighbours.

As far as statistics go, the Canadian Press released finding that in cities that have recently added tasers to their police forces, the number of shootings stays fairly consistent, while tasers are being used “exponentially more often.” In relation to the death of Robert Dziekanski, Amnesty International has stated that tasers have been responsible in over 100 deaths since their conception approximately 35 years ago. Police officers and related law enforcement officials are generally fond of the technology, seeing as despite its possible deadliness, it will always remain the safest alternative to firearms. The problem with taser safety lies with the appropriate training. While police officers receive some of the best training in handling all their equipment, tasers have made their way into the hands of everyday consumers. People like Dana Shafman, a woman who has popularized “taser parties”, the modern day equivalent to the saleswomen of Tupperware parties, gathering fellow women in a living room setting, arming them with tasers, and letting them take turns shooting at metallic targets, getting them used to the products, which come in a variety of friendly colours. The idea behind this being that in the dangerous world we live in today, people need protection; and what better protection than your pretty-in-pink taser. Now the problem shifts to keeping something that looks like an electric razor out of your kid’s hands. As far as public opinion is concerned, until people hear of the deaths caused by tasers, there is generally nothing but support for the use of them. However, once cases like Robert Dziekanski’s are brought up, some find that their opinion quickly shifts. In addition to that, the further inquiry into what should happen if we were not to use tasers causes some to yet again, shift their opinion. The whole matter is extremely controversial, and most of the time, the public has little say in how matters concerning tasers are handled. On that note, however, after the Dziekanski incident, the province of British Columbia has launched a public inquiry into whether or not the people feel tasers should continue to be used. If the results prove to be useful, other provinces may poll their citizens, which will finally shed light on what people truly think of taser use.

When NASA scientist Jack Cover created the taser under the ideals of President Lyndon Johnson, the invention rested in obscurity for the better part of a few decades. Now, back and exploding onto the scenes, many people don’t know what to think of this possibly dangerous, yet always effective debilitating tool. Do the pros always outweigh the cons when upholding justice is concerned? What can be done to make these devices safer? Is it right for the average Joe to own one of these dangerous items? As we progress as a society concerned for our safety, these questions will have to be answered. And when they do, your opinion will matter more than you think. Form one, make it educated, and stick to it, so that one day you won’t be screaming: “Don’t tase me, bro!”

Jay2645
February 19th, 2008, 09:12 PM
You seem to be using the "Don't tase me, bro!" line too much. We're dealing with teachers here, not people on the internet.

Other than that, it looks good.

Huero
February 19th, 2008, 09:15 PM
Very informative, and you seem to know what you're doing. I disagree with Jay, though; it adds a feeling of personality to the article that most don't while staying official. : D

jngrow
February 19th, 2008, 09:30 PM
To Jay: Aside from explaining DTMB, he only uses it once. It was an interesting "grabber" to his article.

Pretty good, but it felt like there wasn't enough "stuff" to talk about in the article. Then again, I can't really think of anything else you can put in. I guess because tasers are still pretty new (spell check doesn't even recognize it :P), there isn't much to say about them.

Syuusuke
February 19th, 2008, 09:32 PM
Your name is Smack?

Also, I like what I'm reading.

thehoodedsmack
February 19th, 2008, 09:45 PM
Your name is Smack?

Also, I like what I'm reading.

No, silly. If you want to know my real name, you'll have to do some digging. It's out there.

Mr Buckshot
February 19th, 2008, 11:45 PM
Ah yes, there was a huge outcry at my high school among the European immigrants. I also believe the Vancouver airport cops were unjust in tasering the Polish man to death. He wasn't even aggressive - he only threw a chair on the ground to attract attention since no one noticed his signals for help and he couldn't speak English.

Tasers are often abused..."non lethal" my foot.

DrunkenSamus
February 19th, 2008, 11:52 PM
Tasers are often abused..."non lethal" my foot.

Careful...your foot can be lethal if used correctly.:)

Pyong Kawaguchi
February 20th, 2008, 12:14 AM
I liked this good job on it smack :)
Its very informative, and i learned something, makes me think of a news story interview, and thats good!

Bodzilla
February 20th, 2008, 12:34 AM
No, silly. If you want to know my real name, you'll have to do some digging. It's out there.
wheres the FBI theme music when ya need it?

good article :D

Limited
February 20th, 2008, 12:45 AM
Nice article. I agree with the fact that police now see this "non-lethal" weapon, and are more likely to use it rather than a gun. Sadly, for cops in US, the general alternative for a taser is a gun. So having no taser would probably escalate the problem. Places that dont use guns, there is no need whatsoever for a taser, its not eliminating any dangerous threat (gun).

Tasers arent safe, intheory yes they are safe, its not volts that kills you its amps (or other way around I cant remember) the problem is, people differ. Certain things that will not harm some one, could fatally kill another. People with heart problems, pace makers are at risk when you shock them.

Another problem is the fact in the US, tasers are getting used too often, as cops see them as non lethal, they are using them for completely stupid reasons, just like the dont tase me guy, he wasnt doing any thing illegal, he even agreed to leave after his question if I remember rightly. The LEAST they needed to do was tase him, yes they carried him off first and he resisted arrest, that doesnt men anything, he shouldnt have been arrested in the first place. I've seen videos of people getting tasered seconds after they have been asked to step out a car, in a routine vehicle stop, obviously the person asks why, then the cop suddenly tasers them, with no warning.

And finally, tasers were based off a design that had a completely different effect, the cattle stick, you touch a part of a cow with this stick, it shocks them. However due to the fact cows skin is thick, and cows are more robust that humans, its only a slight buzz, just like some one pinching you, sure it hurts at the moment of contact, but it instantly goes after. Tasers on the other hand, paralyzes you, thats completely different, it also leaves you tingling and has other side effects that last hours.

Dave Chappelles skit on the "dont tase me bro" thing is hilarious

SnaFuBAR
February 20th, 2008, 02:01 AM
You're forgetting the fact that these things are no longer labeled "non-lethal". They are officially termed "less-lethal". The same goes for all crowd/individual control devices. Never-the-less, these items are historically abused, even though they do have their place with law enforcement and private security personnel.

Please also consider that these items are sold in varying voltages, many of which are designed to do much more than "stun". They are made to incapacitate an adversary for several hours through loss of muscle control and consciousness.

Time and time again, police and private security forces have shown inability to use these weapons in an appropriate manner. All too often, the person on the receiving end really doesn't need to get hurt. There need to be protocols strictly enforced on "peace keepers". Failure to comply hardly requires someone to get electrocuted in such a way that it could kill them. Officers and rent-a-cops alike are using tasers too often on children and elderly, who are both especially at risk of fatality.

However use is not abuse. The use of a taser certainly has its place in keeping the peace. Abuse extends to repeated taserings of incapacitated subjects, or, unnecessary use on patrons not requiring subduing (children, elderly, disrespectful).

Those who need self protection on a daily basis, or want it and qualify (no criminal record, etc) should be allowed to carry tasers. We've heard of far less incidents of abuse by citizens of the general population than we have in enforcement. Carrying of tasers by women is especially a good thing. Far too high of a percentage of women are victims of brutality and violation than should be allowed to happen.

I, for one, advocate carry of self defense items such as mase, pepper spray, tasers and firearms. These are tools to help us defend ourselves and each other in our societies. Situational awareness and responsible use of self defense items is necessary these days. Remember, drawing a weapon doesn't always mean using it. These allow law abiding people an advantage in gaining compliance from an adversary. Only when an aggressor does not comply, should these items be put to work. Police forces are a second line of defense. The first is yourself, and the actions you take in situations. For a lot of people, running away or using martial arts self defense techniques is not an option. I don't know about a lot of you, but I'm not Bruce Lee.

Bodzilla
February 20th, 2008, 03:10 AM
Snaf is the only person in america i'd actually trust to carry around a weapon for self defense reasons.
i dunno why.

respect. :)

SnaFuBAR
February 20th, 2008, 04:28 AM
haha, much appreciated. i also find it ironically comical that my user title is "gun-toting badguy".

btw, everyone, being a victim is the effect brought about by not taking action to prevent yourself from being one :) being a victim is a CHOICE. so those of you who can vote on gun control, vote no on weapons bans. you have the choice to not carry a weapon on your person, or to own one for your home, don't decide for me, thanks.

Btd69
February 20th, 2008, 04:30 AM
You mean like how you're a victim of old age?

Emmzee
February 20th, 2008, 08:33 PM
http://weaponmasters.com/shopping/image.php?type=P&id=16195

$89.99. 500,000 volts. Say what you will about tasers, but this is awesome.

I want.

thehoodedsmack
February 20th, 2008, 08:36 PM
Say what you will about tasers, but this is awesome.

http://www.collider.com/uploads/imageGallery/Jumper/jumper_movie_image_samuel_l._jackson.jpg

No sir, this is awesome.

Warsaw
February 20th, 2008, 08:46 PM
http://www.halflife2.net/images/games/hl2/weapon_stunstick.jpg

:haw:

SnaFuBAR
February 21st, 2008, 12:42 AM
way to screw up a serious conversation.

n00b1n8R
February 21st, 2008, 01:04 AM
way to screw up a serious conversation.http://developer.valvesoftware.com/w/images/4/4f/Metrocop_police.jpg
PICK UP THAT CAN!

Mr Buckshot
February 21st, 2008, 01:09 AM
There have been times when I really wish I had a gun on me to defend myself, but guns are illegal in all urban areas of Canada, and the only guns that can be legally purchased (for rural and mountain areas only) are hunting rifles/shotguns. But I don't like the idea of killing a real person.

Here's a situation I fought out of without the use of a taser:

I'm walking home from school with my laptop slung around me in a carrying case. Suddenly, a black hoodlum jumps at me and attempts to snatch away my laptop case. I defend myself with the only weapon I have - the laptop bag itself. Swung it into his face and induced a nosebleed (the laptop bag is one of those rugged really tough materials, plus the laptop inside is heavy). The black kid howls in pain and runs away before I have a chance to strike again.

If I had a taser, I probably would've shocked him in the balls. And when he was keeling over, kicked him in the face. And shocked him till he passed out. And called 911 and put the idiot away for a few months.

Tasers should only be used on suspects who forcibly resist arrest. The Polish man was not violent at all - the cops who killed him were really thugs with badges, which they still managed to keep. However, if the Polish man had actually attacked a person or pulled out a weapon, then yes, the taser would be justified.

In addition, old folks and small kids should not be tasered unless they're actually threatening lives with real weapons. Their weaker bodies make them far more vulnerable to the shock. It's like falling and knocking your head on the pavement - for a young adult, it's just painful, but for an elderly man, it could be fatal.

There was one Vancouver case where the taser > the gun though. A schizophrenic cartoon studio animator was waving a tire chain at an imaginary threat. The cops tried to subdue him by hand, but they ended up getting smacked by the chain. What did they do? They pulled out their Glock 17s and shot him to death.

Sever
February 21st, 2008, 01:13 AM
http://developer.valvesoftware.com/w/images/4/4f/Metrocop_police.jpg
PICK UP THAT CAN!
http://www.hlcomic.com/comics/concerned008.jpg
A BEATING!
Good writing btw.

Bodzilla
February 21st, 2008, 01:54 AM
Here's a situation I fought out of without the use of a taser:

I'm walking home from school with my laptop slung around me in a carrying case. Suddenly, a black hoodlum jumps at me and attempts to snatch away my laptop case. I defend myself with the only weapon I have - the laptop bag itself. Swung it into his face and induced a nosebleed (the laptop bag is one of those rugged really tough materials, plus the laptop inside is heavy). The black kid howls in pain and runs away before I have a chance to strike again.

If I had a taser, I probably would've shocked him in the balls. And when he was keeling over, kicked him in the face. And shocked him till he passed out. And called 911 and put the idiot away for a few months.

Because thats not a massive over-reaction or grievous bodily harm.
Oh wait. :haw:

For Fuck sake Buckshot if you subdue a person why on earth would you want to do further harm to them and negate you "self-defense" argument.
I'ts mind-blowingly stupid to take things to such unjustifiable extremes, even with your supremely warped views.

if i was a cop and I found out what you did, i'd let the kid off with a warning and slap your ass with Aggravated assault and grievous bodily harm. Put you on the stand and threaten you with imprisonment, you cowardly fuck.

Warsaw
February 21st, 2008, 06:36 PM
way to screw up a serious conversation.

Ok, here's the basic idea then:

Tasers are abused by law enforcement officials because it is easier to tase someone than it is to wrestle him/her to the ground, chase him/her, or talk to the person. It is also considered "less lethal" which gives police the impression that they can use it whenever they feel like it, because the person won't be permanently harmed (which is wrong). Tasers do have their place in riot control and self defense, but as a commonly employed tool it should not be used. Limits need to be placed and enforced on the use of tasers.

Also, Zilla is right. +Rep.

Emmzee
February 21st, 2008, 06:46 PM
Tasers are awesome because, if used properly, they can be the most effective thing to stopping a criminal short of a bullet to the head or crotch.

However, many cops think they can do whatever they want with a taser and have it still be "okay." That's like thinking extremity shots are appropriate against a willing and cooperative suspect. It's not the tasers that are the problem, it's the people who aren't appropriately educated about their use.

Warsaw
February 21st, 2008, 08:53 PM
People suck.

/thread.