PDA

View Full Version : [HL2] HL2 SP mods?

343guiltymc
February 20th, 2008, 08:02 PM
Is there any good Singleplayer mods for HL2? I tried Minerva but it was over too quickly, Dayhard was simply too buggy for me. There doesn't seem to be a lot of quality ones out there. :(

Warsaw
February 20th, 2008, 08:27 PM
Cinematic Mod.

Not a new campaign, but it makes the original campaign SO much more enjoyable that it is worth playing over again 3 or more times.

Also, try Causality Effect. New campaign, good plot, quite entertaining...:D.

343guiltymc
February 21st, 2008, 03:12 PM
Cinematic Mod.

Not a new campaign, but it makes the original campaign SO much more enjoyable that it is worth playing over again 3 or more times.

Also, try Causality Effect. New campaign, good plot, quite entertaining...:D.
........You expect me to play cinematic mod with my shitty PC?

Warsaw
February 21st, 2008, 08:57 PM
Well, don't then. You asked for suggestions, and I gave some. Causality Effect is still a good one to give a try, since it is no more system intensive than regular Half-Life 2.

Syuusuke
February 21st, 2008, 09:04 PM
I think I'll dl both of those.

Timo
February 21st, 2008, 09:05 PM
Well I just spend 700mb out of my 10gb cap trying to download the cinematic mod, just to have the zip file turn out corrupt ;_;

Warsaw
February 21st, 2008, 09:08 PM
I know how you feel, I hate it when that happens.

The Cinematic Mod v.3.<insert patch here> is about 1.6GB. The later versions get up past 3GB in size. You need Episode I/II to play the later versions though (which I don't have).

DrunkenSamus
February 22nd, 2008, 06:50 PM
Substance Gold v 1.2, Smod Redux V6, the list for single player mods is endless. I highly recommend downloading those two mods.

cls
February 22nd, 2008, 07:03 PM
I don't have enough ram for the Cinematic Mod myself.

The most popular single player mod is Minerva Metastasis, it uses Half Life 2 Episode 1 making the game much harder. I think it's most fun on the highest difficulty setting.

Another one is the Ravenholm mod,its in a different language but the text is English.
Mistake of Pythagoras shows the full functionality of the Source Engine, but I only played it once.
Combine Destiny allows to the player to be a member of the Combine Overwatch, but it's a little short and has multiple paths to make up for it.
Those are the best ones I can remember playing.

Warsaw
February 22nd, 2008, 09:59 PM
I could not get Combine Destiny to work... :saddowns:.

343guiltymc
February 23rd, 2008, 07:08 AM
Substance Gold v 1.2, Smod Redux V6, the list for single player mods is endless. I highly recommend downloading those two mods.
I tried Substance Gold final, but I keep getting killed in like couple of hits by the combine. :confused2:

DrunkenSamus
February 23rd, 2008, 11:44 AM
I tried Substance Gold final, but I keep getting killed in like couple of hits by the combine. :confused2:

Dude, that's the point. Depending on the situation, you need to choose the right HEV form. It's pretty easy and once you get the hang of it, it's alot of fun. Also make use of your special abilities.

Syuusuke
February 23rd, 2008, 12:21 PM
Casualty Effect crashes when I reach the part after the pipes with the headcrabs in them...in that Loading point =/

Warsaw
February 23rd, 2008, 03:51 PM
Reinstall. Works fine for me. Perhaps you caused a temporal paradox by your actions earlier? It's possible, I've done it.

Also, your av is quite graphic...;).

Syuusuke
February 23rd, 2008, 04:00 PM
It's not supposed to be =P you dirty dirty man.

Also are you serious about the paradox? =(

Warsaw
February 23rd, 2008, 04:20 PM
If you do it right, you can screw up how it goes together. Depends on who you kill and when.

Syuusuke
February 23rd, 2008, 04:45 PM
I've been only killing Combine...and headcrabs and those flying things....and maybe that huge thing with three legs I forgot what it was called.

Maybe I shouldn't shoot at the people I see when I'm traveling through time.

343guiltymc
February 23rd, 2008, 05:57 PM
Dude, that's the point. Depending on the situation, you need to choose the right HEV form. It's pretty easy and once you get the hang of it, it's alot of fun. Also make use of your special abilities.
What are you talking about? Special abilities? WTF?! :confused2:

DrunkenSamus
February 23rd, 2008, 09:24 PM
What are you talking about? Special abilities? WTF?! :confused2:

WOOOOW. Read the damn manual, bro. This isn't your Grandma's HL2 mod. It's a completely new HL2 experience with brand-spankin new abilities, new techniques, new weapons, and new challenges, also new modes of gameplay. The manual is even in-game so you don't have to exit the game at all.

343guiltymc
February 23rd, 2008, 09:51 PM
WOOOOW. Read the damn manual, bro. This isn't your Grandma's HL2 mod. It's a completely new HL2 experience with brand-spankin new abilities, new techniques, new weapons, and new challenges, also new modes of gameplay. The manual is even in-game so you don't have to exit the game at all.
I tried that, I clicked the icon it just froze. I had to restart my PC. Besides, I've only played the mod for 20 minutes and I'm not sure what's more frustrating: The epic load times or the epic difficulty.

Warsaw
February 23rd, 2008, 11:15 PM
I've been only killing Combine...and headcrabs and those flying things....and maybe that huge thing with three legs I forgot what it was called.

Maybe I shouldn't shoot at the people I see when I'm traveling through time.

Causality Effect is all about those people who you see running through. Depending on who you kill, you will chance who is your next enemy and how the game will end. If you kill one too soon and in the wrong order, you could cause a temporal paradox, which will cause you to need to go back to a certain point.

Syuusuke
February 24th, 2008, 09:54 AM
Damn. Well I finished it (had to do noclip through a door on that part after the pipes where you enter a room full of those ugly ugly zombies and had to blow up the wall to get through...)

Well I moved on to SMOD and I saw a gameplay video with this guy killing a bunch of Smiths and then flying away like in Matrix:Reloaded

Where do I get that Smith bashing? Anyone?

343guiltymc
February 24th, 2008, 10:28 AM
Damn. Well I finished it (had to do noclip through a door on that part after the pipes where you enter a room full of those ugly ugly zombies and had to blow up the wall to get through...)

Well I moved on to SMOD and I saw a gameplay video with this guy killing a bunch of Smiths and then flying away like in Matrix:Reloaded

Where do I get that Smith bashing? Anyone?
I don't know what you're talking about, but there is slow mo ability similar to FEAR. You do need a beefy PC for the mod because the load times are long.

DrunkenSamus
February 24th, 2008, 03:40 PM
I don't know what you're talking about, but there is slow mo ability similar to FEAR. You do need a beefy PC for the mod because the load times are long.

Try Smod Redux V6. It is possibly the greatest modification of Smod ever.

343guiltymc
February 24th, 2008, 04:37 PM
Try Smod Redux V6. It is possibly the greatest modification of Smod ever.
Yeah that's the one I'm using. The only thing more outrageous than the load times of the mod is the outrageous amount of gore.

DrunkenSamus
February 24th, 2008, 09:22 PM
Yeah that's the one I'm using. The only thing more outrageous than the load times of the mod is the outrageous amount of gore.

There's a site that shows how to configure Smod through console commands. I forgot what it was. But if you want to disable the gibbing and the gore then type in "exec gore_hl2" or something like that.

Syuusuke
February 25th, 2008, 04:48 PM
I just want to experience the Burly Brawl with the shovel =/ That shovel makes amusingly loud PANG noises =)

DrunkenSamus
February 25th, 2008, 06:05 PM
I just want to experience the Burly Brawl with the shovel =/ That shovel makes amusingly loud PANG noises =)

Combined with exec ragdoll_funny, you're going to have break dancing combine and zombies.

Syuusuke
February 25th, 2008, 06:43 PM
Oooh noted.

itszutak
February 25th, 2008, 07:56 PM
Just started Minerva. That is an AMAZING mod for anybody who has a bit of patience and a good amount of skill with HL2 weaponry.

Seriously. It also makes you think.

DrunkenSamus
February 25th, 2008, 10:14 PM
Just started Minerva. That is an AMAZING mod for anybody who has a bit of patience and a good amount of skill with HL2 weaponry.

Seriously. It also makes you think.

Minerva is an expert single player campaign mod. I don't really like all the other mods out there like Coastline to Atmosphere.

Terin
February 26th, 2008, 12:00 AM
Oh wow. Just finished Minerva. Short, but awesome. Everything came intuitively, just like the Half Life games. Adam Foster should srysly be hired by Valve.

Warsaw
February 26th, 2008, 02:13 PM
I wish I could just download part 3, because I have the rest already...

DrunkenSamus
February 26th, 2008, 11:56 PM
I wish I could just download part 3, because I have the rest already...

Same. I don't wanna buy Episode One just so I can play Part 3.

343guiltymc
February 27th, 2008, 03:03 PM
Same. I don't wanna buy Episode One just so I can play Part 3.
You don't need to, get orange box.

Warsaw
February 27th, 2008, 04:24 PM
Which I also don't have, and won't buy until the final episode is released.

343guiltymc
February 27th, 2008, 07:55 PM
Which I also don't have, and won't buy until the final episode is released.
Why would you buy orange box then when you could buy <insert color here> box when EP3 releases?

Sever
February 27th, 2008, 08:09 PM
Because The Orange Box is here now, and when when the <insert color here> box is released, you can sell gift the games you already own to a friend. Or, you can simply download HL2:E3 when it comes out, and save the environment a tad (less plastic/paper used).

DrunkenSamus
February 27th, 2008, 09:32 PM
Because The Orange Box is here now, and when when the <insert color here> box is released, you can sell gift the games you already own to a friend. Or, you can simply download HL2:E3 when it comes out, and save the environment a tad (less plastic/paper used).

Paper is renewable so it's okay.:)

n00b1n8R
February 28th, 2008, 05:39 AM
not if they cut down rainforests cos they cbf to set up plantations :v
besides, plastic isn't.

ima_from_America
February 28th, 2008, 07:12 AM
Antlion troopers 2 is awesome.

Warsaw
February 28th, 2008, 02:37 PM
Why would you buy orange box then when you could buy <insert color here> box when EP3 releases?

Fine, I will... :maddowns:

Timo
March 1st, 2008, 01:30 PM
Well 3 attempts at downloading the Cinematic Mod and 25&#37; of my monthly bandwidth gone, it finally worked! The mod is pretty awesome, although I was pretty annoyed at when I got 3/4 of the way through an episode and died for the first time. Woop woop, back to the very start.

DrunkenSamus
March 1st, 2008, 01:39 PM
I'm kinda sick of all these HL2 mods. The only mod that I'm looking forward to is Black Mesa and the next version of Smod Redux.

Syuusuke
March 1st, 2008, 02:04 PM
But the Cinematic Mod is awesome, actually it doesn't change gameplay at all, it changes the feel of it though =)

343guiltymc
March 1st, 2008, 03:09 PM
I'm kinda sick of all these HL2 mods. The only mod that I'm looking forward to is Black Mesa and the next version of Smod Redux.
Not me, Black mesa requires counter strike source (which I don't have) and SMOD redux gives loonng load times.

Warsaw
March 1st, 2008, 05:48 PM
Black Mesa is one I am waiting for. As for Cinematic Mod, I think v. 3 is the best. All the later ones change the game so much that it no longer retains its classic Half-Life 2 charm.

DrunkenSamus
March 1st, 2008, 06:57 PM
Not me, Black mesa requires counter strike source (which I don't have) and SMOD redux gives loonng load times.

And Substance gives you gas.

343guiltymc
March 1st, 2008, 07:36 PM
Black Mesa is one I am waiting for. As for Cinematic Mod, I think v. 3 is the best. All the later ones change the game so much that it no longer retains its classic Half-Life 2 charm.
I can't even play V4, the game lags so much I can barely move. By the way which is the best co-op mod: Synergy, follow freeman, or obsidian conflict?

DrunkenSamus
March 1st, 2008, 08:51 PM
I can't even play V4, the game lags so much I can barely move. By the way which is the best co-op mod: Synergy, follow freeman, or obsidian conflict?

OC. Also known as Orange County.:)

343guiltymc
March 1st, 2008, 09:09 PM
OC. Also known as Orange County.:)
Does it allow you to play the HL2 SP co-op? Is there a lot of servers online?

DrunkenSamus
March 1st, 2008, 09:23 PM
Does it allow you to play the HL2 SP co-op? Is there a lot of servers online?

1. yes.
2. don't know.

Abdurahman
April 1st, 2008, 11:52 PM
Play Dayhard. It's the funniest mod EVER.

Terin
April 2nd, 2008, 12:45 AM
Dayhard is quite buggy and annoying. However, accomplishing it without cheating is an epic feat. Except I can't figure out how to beat the final boss. I've pumped hundreds of rockets in his head to no avail. Oh well. map prologue ftw

I've tried out Synergy recently. It is EPIC. It's not only a HL2 + EP1 co op mod, it has it's own unique extra, including some new weapons. There are some interesting maps made for those parts, built in and custom. It's really a social environment, and moar people need to play it.

DrunkenSamus
April 2nd, 2008, 10:12 PM
Dayhard is quite buggy and annoying. However, accomplishing it without cheating is an epic feat. Except I can't figure out how to beat the final boss. I've pumped hundreds of rockets in his head to no avail. Oh well. map prologue ftw

I've tried out Synergy recently. It is EPIC. It's not only a HL2 + EP1 co op mod, it has it's own unique extra, including some new weapons. There are some interesting maps made for those parts, built in and custom. It's really a social environment, and moar people need to play it.

It's HL2's Sven co-op, you might say...

Verdugo
April 5th, 2008, 07:51 AM
It's HL2's Sven co-op, you might say...

There is going to be a Sven Co-op for HL2 I think.

DrunkenSamus
April 6th, 2008, 07:48 PM
There is going to be a Sven Co-op for HL2 I think.

There is but the team has to finish Sven Co-op 4.0 for HL1 first.

Pooky
April 6th, 2008, 09:38 PM
Synergy just irritates me cause it seems like every server is set up so you die in 2 pistol shots and you never spawn with the weapons you're supposed to have in a map.

Aerowyn
April 6th, 2008, 09:43 PM
I've never heard of Synergy before! Care to explain that? Sounds interesting ^__^

Pooky
April 6th, 2008, 09:44 PM
Synergy is just Half Life 2 with online co-op.

ultama121
April 7th, 2008, 10:44 PM
Well... there's more to it than that. Check the website out http://synergymod.net/ .

MNC
April 8th, 2008, 05:36 AM
Synergy is great, but the way HL2 campaign's set up you have quite some loading screens to go through.

www.synergymod.net (http://www.synergymod.net)
Basically, you run through the Half Life 2 campaign or some custom maps together as a team. Recently they added support for Episode One.

DrunkenSamus
April 8th, 2008, 08:15 PM
Meh...Obsidian Conflict is better.

Botolf
April 26th, 2008, 02:51 AM
Holy crap, just played through MINERVA: Metastasis. It is filled with :awesome:

Timo
May 19th, 2008, 03:16 AM
Sorry about the bump - figured I was better off just using a topic already started.

It's been a while since i've played through MINERVA: Metastasis, but when I fired it up today and it seems that something has broken:
http://xs127.xs.to/xs127/08211/image_000048935.jpg
I'm pretty sure I could start a new game a few weeks ago :x
Has this happened to anybody else, and do they know how to fix it? I bandwidth cap as most of you know is very nice, and i'm not too keen to re-download it.

MNC
May 19th, 2008, 04:16 AM
So stop throwing away install files after install? :P I would say recheck the GCF, but it's a mod... So I don't really know.

Timo
May 19th, 2008, 04:32 AM
How would I go about rechecking the GCF?

Edit: Nevermind, just re-downloaded it - a lot smaller than I originally thought.

MNC
May 21st, 2008, 03:24 PM
In steam, you would right click a game, properties, check game cache file or something like that. But that's only possible with full source games, not source mods.

rossmum
June 28th, 2008, 05:23 AM
http://www.moddb.com/mods/dear-esther

THIS

FUCKING AMAZING

Terin
June 29th, 2008, 12:34 AM
I dunno about fucking amazing... from a technical standpoint, the terrain was glitchy, it needed a lot more playerclips, need HEAVY optimization (mostly on the west side. The map renders the whole bay, even after you go through the house and it is out of sight for a while). I also bunnyhopped throughout the island, which was fun, however, I could catch up with the... ghost citizens, and they would just stare at me. It was a neat effect, though. It would alternate between having no eyes and having a transparent texture.

Anyways, for the story, I'm still confused. So apparently I'm Esther, exploring this island, that had a hermit and some plague, and I'm hearing audio logs or messages from a guy who had also went to the island. And some other guy went there, too. There are random, strange messages, and the drawer has an obsession with Hydro-Carbon Dioxide (if I can recall my chemistry class well, probably wrong) In the end, the guy who has been speaking to me basically tells me I'm going to die here, and that other people will see me as well, and I'm going to turn into a bird. Then the screen goes black and it stays that way.

Of course, maybe I'm not high and mighty enough with my literature to understand this. It is a nice depature from all other HL2 mods that have been made, which is nice. I dunno, though, I remain underwhelmed.

rossmum
June 29th, 2008, 12:49 AM
As far as I can tell, you're the guy talking, and Esther died in a car crash with a drunk driver. You're trying to find any proof that he's drunk.

That's the story I got on my playthrough, anyway. I noticed some map glitches too, though most I was willing to overlook because it was just such a new concept and otherwise it was done quite well. The mapping wasn't actually half bad aside from the glitches, which the guy plans to iron out. The voice acting kicked the living shit out of every other HL2 mod I've ever played, and the soundtrack was great, too.

It was a refreshing break from "HUR KILL LOL"

Terin
June 29th, 2008, 01:36 AM
After I posted that and read a little on the website, I just browsed through the .wav files, and that does seem to add up, and make it a little more interesting. However, I missed about half of all of the files, and I did do quite a bit of exploring. And yet, I missed the details about the car accident and such, but did hear a little about some roads. I shouldn't have to tread every square inch at 5 FPS to find out key plot details. Maybe little things, like how the drawings were circut boards, which was neat, but not something like that.

And indeed, the voice acting and soundtrack are excellent. The voice-over guy, whoever he is, gets really intense with the "ascent" sound files. I just wish I could hear some of those more easily.

rossmum
June 29th, 2008, 02:51 AM
He's the actual dev. He did the lot himself.