PDA

View Full Version : So, would you sell your brain to science?

chicane
February 20th, 2008, 08:51 PM
In my psych class today the teach brought up an interesting topic. Who would sell their brain to science and who wouldn't? I need some statistics for the assignment so I decided to run a poll here.

Would you sell your brain to science after you die? Keep in mind that it would be completely dissected.

One last thing, please don't vote if your going to say something retarded like "ONLEE IF DEY CAN PUT MAI BRAIN IN ANUTHE BODIE SO I CSN CUM BACK 2 LYFE!!". I won't take that seriously.

thehoodedsmack
February 20th, 2008, 08:56 PM
If I was poor, then yes. The money could benefit my family. If I was rich, no. I would have it frozen for the day when science could put it in another body.

chicane
February 20th, 2008, 09:22 PM
Its a donation, I doubt you would make any money.

thehoodedsmack
February 20th, 2008, 09:24 PM
Oh. Same applies then.

chicane
February 20th, 2008, 09:25 PM
ok, thanks for voting. Also, if voters could please post to specify why they picked their answer, that would help.

PlasbianX
February 20th, 2008, 09:42 PM
I would. It's not like im using it anymore anyways.

itszutak
February 20th, 2008, 09:43 PM
I would. Don't have time to say why, TF2 to play

Classicthunder
February 20th, 2008, 09:48 PM
I would because there is no reason not to. I don't need it.

Boba
February 20th, 2008, 09:49 PM
No, bitches can get their own brains.

chicane
February 20th, 2008, 09:55 PM
You can't dissect your own brain boba :rolleyes:

Boba
February 20th, 2008, 09:57 PM
You could always hang out with PlasX in a knife store.. :v

DaneO'Roo
February 20th, 2008, 10:12 PM
no, because then they would steal mai skillz

but yes, oyay oyas

Syuusuke
February 20th, 2008, 10:23 PM
Sure, when I die. I need it for one thing.

Kornman00
February 20th, 2008, 11:10 PM
Nay ;_;

n00b1n8R
February 20th, 2008, 11:19 PM
I vote yes. I really won't have a use for it, and I doubt it will be preserved in any way that would make it revivable by future science. as long as they patch my skull back together so I look presentable at the funeral ;)

Skiiran
February 20th, 2008, 11:24 PM
I voted no.

Firstly, because I plan to live through the Quickening. Even if I have to hunt, kill, and eat my own family.

Secondly, science could learn nothing from my brain. I'd rather that they used a genius's mind to advance Man.

Limited
February 20th, 2008, 11:24 PM
Not enough money in world to buy my brain.

Doubt I will, I dont want some crazy scientistic cracking open my head while I'm laying nude on a cold table in germany.

OmegaDragon
February 21st, 2008, 10:58 AM
As long as they make sure that I am completely dead before removing it, then yes.

beele
February 21st, 2008, 11:09 AM
yes I would, not sure that they would be able to use it though :p.

CN3089
February 21st, 2008, 01:44 PM
What reason is there not to? http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c251/CN3089/Emoticons/confused.gif

Pyong Kawaguchi
February 21st, 2008, 02:53 PM
I wouldnt, because for all i know, the afterlife could be a state of mind, so basically, my brain is still active while my body is dead, and if my body is dead yet im living in my brain, i dont want my brain taken apart, i want to have afterlife :S
Also, My brain is supposed to be inside of my head, not in a scientist room.

teh lag
February 21st, 2008, 03:01 PM
I wouldnt, because for all i know, the afterlife could be a state of mind, so basically, my brain is still active while my body is dead, and if my body is dead yet im living in my brain, i dont want my brain taken apart, i want to have afterlife :S

That would make for a fairly short afterlife; even in burial the brain doesn't last too long. Let's not even get into cremation.

Also, yes.

Flyboy
February 21st, 2008, 03:48 PM
Yes.

Last time I checked the dead don't need their brain.

Monopoly
February 21st, 2008, 03:50 PM
I promised it to some hungry hobos, so no :smith:

Jelly
February 21st, 2008, 03:52 PM
I'd give it when I'm dead, since it would serve no other purpose.

Leiukemia
February 21st, 2008, 04:40 PM
The only reason I can think of for saying no is my family. I personally would be disgusted to know somebody I loved dearly was having their brain cut up. If it was secretive, so that my family/friends never knew, then I couldn't care less what they do with my brain.

chicane
February 21st, 2008, 05:28 PM
Well see this is what I think (though I'm not allowed to vote for the sake of my project): I would donate my brain. I hardly use the damn thing now, much less when I'm cremated.

Xetsuei
February 21st, 2008, 05:38 PM

So, would you sell your brain to science?

What? And no.

AAA
February 21st, 2008, 05:39 PM
...Why not give my brain? I'm gonna be dead, no need to keep what's not being used.

m13120
February 21st, 2008, 05:52 PM
What reason is there not to? http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c251/CN3089/Emoticons/confused.gif

It might offend some religions, stuff like disrespecting the dead.

chicane
February 21st, 2008, 08:07 PM
Xetsueiâ„¢;224350']What? And no.

Oh woops... I didn't think I typed that. Is there a way I can change it?

Flyboy
February 21st, 2008, 08:17 PM
It might offend some religions, stuff like disrespecting the dead.
Why should you give a fuck? Your dead!

Sel
February 21st, 2008, 08:21 PM
Im all for that, Id gladly sell my brain to science, for a fat wad of cash, Ill be dead anyway after.

Also, im all for the offending religions by doing it part too :o

m13120
February 21st, 2008, 08:36 PM
Why should you give a fuck? You're dead!

I thought it would be obvious that it wouldn't be you caring. Other people of the religion may see it as offensive, such as a family. A family of a person who just died may not want to see their relative being dissected, as I said, they might find it offensive as if the person dissecting it was disrespecting the dead.

chicane
February 21st, 2008, 08:40 PM
Hey guys, I'd really like to steer away from conversation about religion. That never ends well.

CN3089
February 21st, 2008, 09:17 PM

By definition, your brain isn't active after you die.

Pyong Kawaguchi
February 21st, 2008, 09:29 PM
dont mean that it isnt spiritually active, mb the dead state of it is of your afterlife :O

chicane
February 21st, 2008, 09:32 PM
Only if you believe that your brain houses your soul lone wolf.

Limited
February 21st, 2008, 09:46 PM
Lone wolf your brain is just fat floating in water. It does not house your soul.
Uh yes it does house your sole, the "sole" as people like to think it, is a fabrication of the brain.

So all you who are saying you would donate your brain, you have said you will so willingly, does that mean you will donate your whole body to science?

Also, how many of you actually have filed out a donor card? (To let hospital, etc know you want it to be donated)

n00b1n8R
February 21st, 2008, 11:11 PM
I'm not old enough to have a donor card, but they can take all they need, but anything they don't want (and I can't imagine why they wouldn't want all of it :P) should be cremated so I can stay with the family.

that's just what I want.

chicane
February 21st, 2008, 11:19 PM
Uh yes it does house your sole, the "sole" as people like to think it, is a fabrication of the brain.

So all you who are saying you would donate your brain, you have said you will so willingly, does that mean you will donate your whole body to science?

Also, how many of you actually have filed out a donor card? (To let hospital, etc know you want it to be donated)

I can understand where your coming from. It wasn't right for me to state my opinion as if it were fact, but it isn't right for you to do the same, sir. Also, I don't know what country your coming from so its possible that you just spell the word differently there, but to me the word "sole" (rather than soul) means the inner bottom part of a shoe, in which case it is certainly not a fabrication of the brain ;).

As for my opinion on donating the rest of my body, I would have to make that a "no", and for only one reason. Though I would like my organs to go to good use and possibly save a life, I sort of buy into the conspiracy that doctors will not try as hard to save a dying person's life if they can possibly harvest the organs to save another person. Frankly, I would like to live as long as I can. I'm not old enough for a donor card either but when I am, I will get one.

Flyboy
February 21st, 2008, 11:28 PM
I thought it would be obvious that it wouldn't be you caring. Other people of the religion may see it as offensive, such as a family. A family of a person who just died may not want to see their relative being dissected, as I said, they might find it offensive as if the person dissecting it was disrespecting the dead.
You know what, I find it disrespectful that people cause and propagate the death in the first place. The world doesn't give a shit, the quicker you learn that the better off you'll be. Studies with the brain could help people in the long run, so while someone might be offended now, maybe 30 years in the future someone won't be after their son was saved from mental retardation.

Am I actually arguing on this thread? lol

bobbysoon
February 21st, 2008, 11:41 PM
I'm a smoker, and I can feel it's effects in my brain. It would be an interesting subject in tobacco research, for better or worse. I don't know. Besides, I'd like to die in the middle of nowhere, preferably the vacuum of space. I'll settle for the middle of nowhere, though
I didn't vote. If a scientist finds my brain before a cyote does, so be it

CN3089
February 22nd, 2008, 12:03 AM
Uh yes it does house your sole,

No, your shoe does that.

:v

Bodzilla
February 22nd, 2008, 12:23 AM

I'm a full body organ donor.

they can take what ever they want.
i'd rather keep my Brain tho. it's gunna be of no use to other people besides medical research.
My noggins had quite a flogging over the years and i quite like the way it's turned out. But the thought of them ripping into and dissecting what makes me, Me isunnerving to me.

n00b1n8R
February 22nd, 2008, 12:40 AM
of course it's unnerving, their cutting into your brain :downs:

I totally had to make that pun.

FlyingStone
February 22nd, 2008, 07:28 AM
I do it, not like i am using it anyway. I mean...when i am dead that is.

Bodzilla
February 22nd, 2008, 08:12 AM
nah it's not that, it's juts that i put alot of work into getting my head in the space it is now,
and i'd rather not have someone dismantling it.

MastaCheefa
February 22nd, 2008, 08:30 AM
I cant believe the poll is as close as it is. There really is no good reason not to donate your entire body to science. Your helping someone else down the road. Helping somebody not have to live with cancer/epilepsy/autism...

FlyingStone
February 22nd, 2008, 08:43 AM
I cant believe the poll is as close as it is. There really is no good reason not to donate your entire body to science. Your helping someone else down the road. Helping somebody not have to live with cancer/epilepsy/autism...

I agree with this man.

ImSpartacus
February 22nd, 2008, 12:23 PM
I would donate my brain. But only after I'm dead (I think I like it while I'm still alive).

Dr Nick
February 22nd, 2008, 02:07 PM
Well, I think the thread title is a little misleading.

Also, I would. It'd be cool to wake up one day 2 years in the future with a robotic body or something like that. that and it might cure some disease.

klange
February 22nd, 2008, 03:28 PM
Yes, but I'd make sure it got put into some program related to bringing dead brains back to life or something to that effect.
Of course, it won't be for a long time, I plan on cryofreezing myself for a few hundred years once cryogenic freezing technology becomes usable.

m13120
February 22nd, 2008, 05:11 PM
The world doesn't give a shit,

Some people of this world do. I'm not big on religion but I'm sure there are people out there.

Studies with the brain could help people in the long run, so while someone might be offended now, maybe 30 years in the future someone won't be after their son was saved from mental retardation.

If that's the way you want to see it, then okay. That's what all the people that do want to donate their brain to science are for. You're almost making it sound like even if people don't want their brain dissected after they're dead don't have a choice, and "why should they care? they're dead!" which basically makes it sound as if their opinions shouldn't matter and shouldn't have a choice in it.

Am I actually arguing on this thread? lol

If you really want to call it that, then yes. I came to this thread and responded to CN3089's question on what reason would there not be to donate one's brain.

chicane
February 22nd, 2008, 05:50 PM
Guys, NIX THE RELIGION, PLEASE. Thats not what this is about. If someone responds to the Thread's main question by saying that donating their brain would offend their religion, please don't fight it. It's not like your going to change their opinion anyways.

bobbysoon
February 22nd, 2008, 09:57 PM
Science can be a double edged sword. Einstien had no intentions of killing hundreds of thousands instantaniously, but alas, thats where his research ended up. So too could brain research be perverted into, say, a neurological weapon
Also, we're plenty overpopulating the world and flushing wildlife into oblivion, so, sorry peoples, but my autobalance says no, screw science. I'm voting no

chicane
February 23rd, 2008, 01:33 AM
Not to unravel your logic bobbysoon, but Einstein didn't create the A-bomb. It was actually Szilard (I THINK thats the correct spelling) who did the work and wrote the letters to FDR to ask for the bomb's production. He only asked Einstein to sign the letters because he knew that FDR would only trust him seeing as he was the most well known physicist and would be most believable. Also, we already have weapons that can destroy the brain. Its called a gun.

CN3089
February 23rd, 2008, 01:43 AM
Not to unravel your logic bobbysoon, but Einstein didn't create the A-bomb. It was actually Szilard (I THINK thats the correct spelling) who did the work and wrote the letters to FDR to ask for the bomb's production. He only asked Einstein to sign the letters because he knew that FDR would only trust him seeing as he was the most well known physicist and would be most believable. Also, we already have weapons that can destroy the brain. Its called a gun.

Well, one person can't really be credited for the creation of nuclear weapons, it was a team effort. Oppenheimer and Groves were probably the most responsible for the Project's success.

Anyways, back to brains. Would you donate your brain to a feed the zombies initiative so they do not go after live humans? y/n

chicane
February 23rd, 2008, 02:02 AM
I believe zombies only want living brains. ANYWAYS back to the real subject...