PDA

View Full Version : [HALO 3] So i think I have a decent theory

MLG KiDD
February 22nd, 2008, 11:20 PM
I think, and know what I am saying is right.

Ill explian one more time

When you punch someone now, and they hit you, you both die.

Before when it happened. Only ONE person Died, and the other stayed alive.

If we go into our past and find an old saved film, of say, you shooting someone with a shotgun, you hit B and they hit B but only they die.

Would the NEW, or Halo 2 meele Still affect saved films, and corrupt the AI's Command Lists?

HDoan
February 23rd, 2008, 12:06 AM
H3 doesn't use the H2 melee system =/ If it did then the host would win most melee fights. Also if its on a save film it wouldn't cause its just a recording and game data on everything that happend.

MLG KiDD
February 23rd, 2008, 12:33 AM
I'm not gonna lie. Your pretty stupid. They did an AU and now, halo 3 uses the Halo 2 meele system. So shut the fuck up

And actaully halo 3 uses basically AI, to redo what happened. Do you really think 10 - 15 min films could be contained at such high quality in only a 4 mb file? I dont think so.

CtrlAltDestroy
February 23rd, 2008, 12:36 AM
1. Of course Halo 3 does not use the Halo 2 melee system. If you actually took the time to read the BWUs, then you would know. GG.

2. No "AI" is involved with saved films. I don't know where you would get such an idea.

HDoan
February 23rd, 2008, 12:46 AM
I'm not gonna lie. Your pretty stupid. They did an AU and now, halo 3 uses the Halo 2 meele system. So shut the fuck up

And actaully halo 3 uses basically AI, to redo what happened. Do you really think 10 - 15 min films could be contained at such high quality in only a 4 mb file? I dont think so.
If you want to read proof that your wrong, open the spoiler.

http://www.bungie.net/News/content.aspx?type=topnews&cid=13280[/url]"]
What Halo 2 Did
Put simply, in Halo 2, whoever threw the first melee won. Sounds perfect, right? Not quite.
Get your Einstein on, we’re going to talk about relativity. Specifically, the relative observations of host versus client. In Halo 3, across our entire population, we observe an average latency between host and client of around 80-100ms, which is around three frames. Assuming 90ms of latency, consider what happens when the host and client both throw melee attacks at exactly the same time. The host will see the client’s melee attack as many as three frames later, while the client will see the host’s melee attack three frames later. Who attacked first?
Well, in the halcyon days of Halo 2, the host made that determination. Which means his melee was first and the client lost the melee fight far more often than they should have. And in the event of two clients attacking simultaneously, the one with lower latency to the host would appear to have attacked first, and would be the winner. In a peer-to-peer environment with latency, it is nigh impossible to determine exactly who attacked first.
Over Halo 2’s three years online, many people adapted and got used to preemptively throwing a melee, but it was still fundamentally unfair in favor of the host or people with faster connections.
So, to be clear and upfront, we will not be returning to those days of letting the host win when the outcome is in doubt, aka. first melee wins.
The Halo 3 “Fix”
In Halo 3, there is explicit special treatment for what is called a “melee contest”, which occurs when two melee attacks occur almost simultaneously. Specifically, when the host starts to throw a melee attack, there is a short window after that (three frames, or approximately 100ms) during which the host will watch for a retaliatory melee attack. If one arrives inside that window, it is a contest. Besides smoothing out the latency differences between clients (it works the same way when one client melees another), this allows a client with a ping as high as 100ms to compete with the host on a far more even footing than Halo 2 allowed.
So now we have the contests, but how are they resolved? Having determined that we cannot trust timing in an environment with latency, we instead use the remaining health (including shields) of the contestants as the tie-breaker. This is about as fair as you can get, within the conventions of Halo—the guy who did more damage comes out on top. Specifically, the winner of the contest still takes melee damage from the loser, but is protected from death and lives to fight another day.
On paper, this method addresses the host advantage (among others) and is scrupulously fair. There’s just one problem:
The Fatal Flaw
Halo 3’s system is inscrutable. This is most famously illustrated by a splitscreen film (eliminating latency as a factor) of two players running at each other, firing, and throwing melee attacks on the same frame. One drops dead, and it isn’t clear why, so the result is declared to be random. The real reason is, of course, that one player landed one or two more bullets than the other, but that isn’t anywhere near obvious.
Any time you have a game system which players cannot understand, it might as well be random. No matter how fair the tiebreaker may be, if a single Assault Rifle bullet can slip by and decide the outcome, it might as well be random. And randomness is a poor substitute for tactics and skillful execution.
Addressing the Flaw
We considered and ultimately rejected some ideas that could have made melee contests produce a less inscrutable result. A major consideration was that we wanted to minimize the impact on how Halo 3 plays to the greatest degree possible, while still addressing the problem. Radically changing the mechanics of melee combat is not something we want at this point.
Ultimately, the change is targeted at the unpredictable outcome of a contest. Simply stated, it works like this: when a melee contest occurs, and both players are close to the same health (including shields), no special protection is given to either player. This means the outcome of a close melee contest can be death for both participants, but that a player who decisively injures his opponent prior to closing for a melee will continue to enjoy the victorious outcome.
For those of you uninterested in the precise details, the upshot is this: if you close for a melee attack and are at a clear advantage (or disadvantage), the outcome will be clear. If the outcome is unclear, too close to call, you will likely trade kills with your victim. But you should no longer watch your opponent saunter away for no clear reason (and if you do, check the film—it tells all.)
The Nitty Gritty
If you’re still reading, you’re probably interested in some details, so we won’t skimp.
A player in MP has a grand total of 115 hit points (to adopt a common term.) 45 of these are body hit points, 70 are shield hit points. For reference, a single AR bullet does 7.5 points of damage, and a BR bullet does 6. A melee attack does 70 for most weapons, with some weapons (notably the Brute weapons) doing 72.
When entering a melee contest, the combined body and shield hit points are compared. If the difference is above a threshold, then one player is determined to have won decisively and is protected from death. After testing with a variety of weapons, we settled on a threshold of 26.5 hit points (slightly rounded.) This translates into 4+ AR bullets worth of damage to decisively win a melee contest, instead of simply having 1 more hit point than the other guy.
There is one more wrinkle to this: your invisible body hit points do recharge, but at a different rate from your shields. While ordinarily this is a non-issue (we’ve always made this largely transparent), it can affect the outcome of a contest. For those of you keeping score, body hit points start regenerating 10 seconds after last taking damage, at a rate of 9 hp/sec. So if your shields are up but you’re fresh from taking a beating, you could still be in trouble in a contest.
YMMV, etc.
Despite our best efforts, this system cannot cover all cases: if your latency is beyond 100ms, you can still get into situations where the host legitimately believes that your melee did not arrive in time. In testing, we did catch a couple of films where perfectly balanced, simultaneous melee attacks produced an unexpected winner. But these were films recorded by the client—the host film told a different story, showing a very late melee.
The moral: when in doubt, check the host’s film, because latency still matters. Just a whole lot less than Halo 2.
"
To summerize it up, the new melee system is not Halo 2, and if you wish you be a H2V normal or even ask questions then stop flaming out of no where and do some research before you start going "Your wrong".

JDMFSeanP
February 23rd, 2008, 12:58 AM
AI is made using game data then the game just recreates the match from the game data. The old games are saved using old game data so nothing would change.

Snaver
February 23rd, 2008, 09:56 AM
You know all the answers you seek can be found on bungie.net, why do you think they spent so much time and effort writing those articles? Its to try and get across the facts to kids like you, but alas i guess you failed to read like the three articles the FAQ was copied pasted into.. They stated the saved films would not be affected, which is something they put time and effort into making sure it worked

You seem to be pulling random words out of your ass, ai commands?? wtf

and if you wish you be a H2V normal or even ask questions then stop flaming out of no where and do some research before you start going "Your wrong".

Some really good advice thar ^, now who really is the stupid one here, MLG KiDD?

Kornman00
February 23rd, 2008, 10:08 AM
Yay, giving MLG more of a bad name, awesome, I love it ^_^

Terry
February 24th, 2008, 05:18 AM
If saved films were replayed AI commands, then every time you replayed a saved film, something would change. Whether how a body flew, or how a particle scattered.

Looking at the current saved films, I can see that everything is exact whenever you play it. Thus, this leads me to believe that it rather notes down coordinates and animation info and stores it, rather than have a whole bunch of AI running around in a new environment.

Although I could be wrong, but I doubt it, as you could rewind and fast foward.

FRain
February 26th, 2008, 06:20 PM

Where the FUCK did you get the idea that they switched back to the H2 melee system, they haven't, they have stated, over, 3, times, that they are not switching back to the H2 system, as the host would win 99.99% of the time.

And since you responded with an attempted flame comment, I'll direct the fail truck right back at you.

I'm not gonna lie.

You're pretty stupid.

E:

And from what I'm seeing, you're saying they use AI for saved films, from what I understand, AI is NOT used, and why the hell would the AU change the old films? Over 1/2 of your films would have different outcomes, and I've been in old films before, so this is not the case, please, stop trying. And yes, I'm not sure, but I think it does recreate the game, so you can buzz around in that camera, but that does not mean it has to use AI (kill me if I'm right).

Double E:

I think, and know what I am saying is right.

Ill explian one more time

When you punch someone now, and they hit you, you both die.

Before when it happened. Only ONE person Died, and the other stayed alive.

If we go into our past and find an old saved film, of say, you shooting someone with a shotgun, you hit B and they hit B but only they die.

Would the NEW, or Halo 2 meele Still affect saved films, and corrupt the AI's Command Lists?

Holy shit, that's not even right, where the hell do you get these ideas? There's a shitload more behind it than just 1 person dies and the other stays alive and you both die. Please explain to me where the fuck you get these ideas before another (this isn't including me btw) highly respected member comes in and beats your ass for being 100% WRONG.

p0lar_bear
February 26th, 2008, 10:17 PM

The autoupdate is not the Halo 2 melee "system" (or lack thereof). The autoupdate made it so if niether player has a significant advantage in health and shields over the other when a contested bash happens, both players die. Before the update, the player with more total health, even if it was just a fraction, won.
Recorded films are not AI and command lists. Recorded films are a recording of the state of pretty much every object on the map, be it a player, a bullet, or a particle.
That said, no, the autoupdate doesn't affect your saved films.