PDA

View Full Version : Effin' Virus.

DrunkenSamus
February 24th, 2008, 01:43 PM
I got a lil' virus from a file I downloaded, so as usual the computer ADVISES me to download a trial antivirus, so I did and I quarantined a bunch of spyware etc...Anybody know a free antivirus that can repair the damage already done to my computer? After 5 minutes the computer is on and running, all the icons and the taskbar disappear and I'm forced to turn off the computer every single time. I use XP if that helps...

Edit: Ok, to hell with AVG since the installation keeps failing. Any other good antivirus programs that you use?

itszutak
February 24th, 2008, 01:54 PM
AVG. Link in a second

EDIT: Here. (http://free.grisoft.com/)

Very nice program, haven't had any problems with it, and it doesn't slow my computer down too much while it scans in the background. In fact, I keep it constantly scanning, and have had no significant drops in FPS on any game I play.

Emmzee
February 24th, 2008, 02:10 PM
AVG. Best free antivirus ever.

ima_from_America
February 24th, 2008, 03:14 PM
Try Avast.
Link http://www.avast.com/eng/avast_4_home.html

TeeKup
February 24th, 2008, 03:21 PM
Um...Avast fails outright, I tried it a while ago when I had a virus, does jackshit.

AVG is the way to go.

DrunkenSamus
February 24th, 2008, 03:38 PM
Alright, I'm going with everybody's word and go with AVG. If this doesn't work, then I'm disowning you, Teekup.

ExAm
February 24th, 2008, 05:36 PM
Um...Avast fails outright, I tried it a while ago when I had a virus, does jackshit.

AVG is the way to go.Avast always worked fine for me.

DrunkenSamus
February 24th, 2008, 07:34 PM
Any other suggestions besides reformatting?

Monopoly
February 24th, 2008, 07:44 PM
Do a system restore to a date previous of the Viral intrusion.

ExAm
February 24th, 2008, 07:45 PM
Is it even possible for you to do a virus scan?

Syuusuke
February 24th, 2008, 07:49 PM
Can you get into Safe Mode.

DrunkenSamus
February 24th, 2008, 09:19 PM
Do a system restore to a date previous of the Viral intrusion.

Are you sure that works?

Yes, I've tried a virus scan multiple times but I can't find a good/free antivirus that can remove or quarantine anything without registering. :/

And yes I can go into safe mode.

Kiwibird
February 24th, 2008, 09:26 PM
Microsoft has a something called Malicious Software Removal tool, and it worked fine for me, but it isn't a permanent fix.

DrunkenSamus
February 24th, 2008, 11:30 PM
Ok, I created a System Restore point and the most it could let me go back was to the day I got the virus. There's a big difference but it's still there. Oh well, I'll keep trying.