PDA

View Full Version : My bsp is inside out

Rob Oplawar
January 29th, 2007, 11:32 PM
Heh, it seems like whatever I post here is always some weird glitch with my level.

It's an interior area, but it has window frames sealed with +sky (it's just a test area). There are no two-sided faces, and switching the direction of the normals back and forth in 3ds max seems to have no effect. Otherwise there are no errors- it works just the way you'd expect if I had designed it to be inside out. Backface Cull is turned on in 3ds, although that shouldn't affect it anyway. I dunno what the deal is. Anyone have any thoughts?

-Rob

mR_r0b0to
January 30th, 2007, 08:28 AM
uh, face select, ctrl+a, flip?

An Emu
January 30th, 2007, 09:03 AM
can you post a picture of your map in max

Rob Oplawar
January 30th, 2007, 04:49 PM
In 3ds (render):
http://www.spacebrick.net/pictures/awesome.jpg

In Sapien:
http://www.spacebrick.net/pictures/not_awesome.jpg

grr.

-Rob

Stormwing
January 30th, 2007, 05:05 PM
why don't you just flip everything max before you export it?

I don't know why this happens, I don't know the right fix for it, but that's what I did when it happened to me. And it ended up working out perfectly fine.

Arteen
January 30th, 2007, 05:10 PM
Ouch. That happened to me in one of my maps, but only part of it was inside-out, so flipping gave me open-edge errors. Try detaching a small part and then try to export that.

Rob Oplawar
January 30th, 2007, 05:22 PM
Hmmm. I deleted all the data and tags associated with the level (it's a test level for textures and geometry- no loss) and had it make a new scenario when it built the bsp, and it's still inside out, so it has something to do with the .max file. And I already tried flipping and unflipping everything, and i got the same result. And I've tried rearranging things and flipping normals, and I still get an inside out level with the rearranged geometry.

-Rob

WhÎþLå§h ÐÆmØÑ
January 30th, 2007, 05:23 PM
Try getting someone else to compile/export.

TheGhost
January 30th, 2007, 09:15 PM
Yeah, I was going to say, export it as a .3ds or some other type of model and ask someone else to import it and try to compile it.

Rob Oplawar
January 30th, 2007, 11:10 PM
I flipped the normals again and compiled the level from scratch, and this time it worked. Still, it's pretty strange that it structures this particular level with all the normals opposite what they are in max. I'd still like to know what the cause is...

-Rob

Llama Juice
January 31st, 2007, 07:36 AM
How big is this map?

My setup was rather confusing though.... I had an indoor level... and then I made windows going outside of it. I made a "case" around my BSP (I made it so those windows were windows that you could jump out of and fall down this huge shaft....)

Then I made a HUGE skybox around the map.... when I opened it in Sapien it was inside out.