PDA

View Full Version : xbox live market place disaster

tehgrunt
March 7th, 2008, 06:42 PM
a couple of weeks ago microsoft programmed a block on all M and above rated content in the xbox live marketplace for child accounts not allowing parents to unblock it. if you have xbox live and already know this or there is already a thread on this then i am sorry but i just feel the need to let you all know what is going on.

but im 16 and i feel i should have the right to view and download what i pay for which is of course, is xboxlive and all of its features. by doing this MS is basiclly taking away an exclusive feature in xbox live and are basiclly stealing peoples money. all of my 360 games are rated M and when i bought them from the store no one stoped me. so what is this bullshit? i think microsoft is trying to rip people of. whats next another block on M rated games so u cannot play them with other people on xbox live? i know there must be some laws that also come into play here cause MS would not do this just because they dont think kids should be downloading M rated content. MS job is not to be are parents that is are parents job but microsoft is not even allowing them to unblock it. of course those who adult accounnts can download it but with those who have child accounts cannot.

now enough of my ranting what do you think about this?

btw here is a link to another forum about this: http://forums.xbox.com/1/17513933/ShowPost.aspx#17513933

TeeKup
March 7th, 2008, 06:45 PM
A lot of us here would actually appreciate that. I used to go to my friends house and play live until I got sick of all the 12 year olds screaming.

Masterz1337
March 7th, 2008, 06:47 PM
What makes you think this was microsofts decision? It was the ESBRs. +rep for ESBR

Emmzee
March 7th, 2008, 06:47 PM
Despite the terrible grammar and spelling, I agree.

Parents should do the parenting.

Timo
March 7th, 2008, 06:50 PM
Under 17's aren't allowed to get M rated stuff anywhere, you shouldn't have been able to get M rated stuff in stores by yourself. What are you restricted from getting? Game demos/movie trailers?

E: I understand that it should be the parents job to stop this from happening - but do your parents sit and watch you while you're getting stuff on the marketplace, to make sure you're not getting what you're not supposed to?

EE: Oh, here it's illegal to sell an R18 game to under 18's, but looking at that post on Xbox.com - it's the shop's decision.

legionaire45
March 7th, 2008, 07:20 PM
Actually I'm quite pissed off that they did this. I have always relied on playing a demo of the game before purchasing (except for Halo 3, but we all knew that would be good =P). They really could have used a better system, such as making it so that you have to enter a parent account thing before you play so that parents can keep watch over the games their children are playing. My parents have never had an issue with M rated games because they actually parent (ex. they didn't let me get GTA San Andreas for the PC off of Steam for two reason: A) hookers B) Shitty game according to them xD ) and it pisses me off that everyone has to suffer this bullshit because some dumbfuck lets his little shitball kid play CoD4/other "violent" games because he screams and bitches if he doesn't get it and the parents cave. Because of this bullshit I haven't been able to play any of the newer games that have been released in demo form for over 2 months. Good job MS and ESRB, you just pissed off a customer and potentially lost upwards of $120, a little bit over a quarter of the cost of the console itself.

Until I get a chance to play those demos I'm not interested in those games. I'm not going to risk $60 on a game that could potentially blow chunks no matter how good the reviews are. Considering other services like Steam let you download whatever game demos/content you want regardless of age why should I care? I have a service that has already filled the void. The only reason I'm holding onto my console is because I paid so much of my own fucking money for it and at this point I would be losing a massive amount by selling it. However, I do have to mention that the Wii is starting to look really nice now.

Until I can figure a way around this bullshit it looks like I have a $500 DVD player.

klange
March 7th, 2008, 07:22 PM
I think it's total bull****. I'm 18, but I can't "upgrade" my account to a regular account - they absolutely will not let you change it, I have to get a new Live account. I won't be able to get the new maps for H3 when they come out.

Bodzilla
March 7th, 2008, 09:20 PM
dont blame microsoft. blame the parents.

Arteen
March 7th, 2008, 11:57 PM
I think it's total bull****. I'm 18, but I can't "upgrade" my account to a regular account - they absolutely will not let you change it, I have to get a new Live account. I won't be able to get the new maps for H3 when they come out.

http://majornelson.com/archive/2007/11/30/child-account-graduation-and-changing-live-id-association.aspx
That doesn't work?

itszutak
March 8th, 2008, 12:13 AM
I could download the halo maps, and the Crackdown demo, with my >18 account... :/

legionaire45
March 8th, 2008, 03:08 AM
Alright, I give up. I tried changing my DoB and it's still no go. Big giant middle finger goes out to microsoft tonight.

SnaFuBAR
March 8th, 2008, 03:15 AM
http://majornelson.com/archive/2007/11/30/child-account-graduation-and-changing-live-id-association.aspx
That doesn't work?

PlasbianX
March 8th, 2008, 09:07 AM
Just make another account that IS 18 plus and download everything on that. Go to hotmail.com and just make a random new email, then sign up a new xbox live account on your xbox on that. You can then play the downloaded content on a child account on the same xbox.

Thats how i got around my block.

klange
March 9th, 2008, 12:49 PM
That doesn't work?
No. It doesn't. Maybe it's just my 360, but it refuses to work.
Also, I can't do it online because the "Family Settings" page doesn't load.
I also can't seem to get rid of an expired credit card either, but that's an unrelated issue.

Kornman00
March 9th, 2008, 01:37 PM
I blame America tbh.

itszutak
March 9th, 2008, 02:35 PM
I blame America tbh.SHIT THE TERRORISTS HAVE WON GET HIM PROTECT THE CHILDREN

PenGuin1362
March 10th, 2008, 03:58 PM
Bout time. These games are mature, if you're not 17, you have to wait like everyone else. TBH I don't think live should even be available to anyone 12 and under. I've played with 12 year olds that swear more than most of my friends. It's pathetic. If parents won't man up and do their fucking job then it's about time someone else did.