PDA

View Full Version : Why you dont give a newb a $2000 computer without teaching him how to not kill it -_-

legionaire45
January 30th, 2007, 10:45 PM
blue text means you can skip reading that part.

Heres a little background: I helped my friend pick the components for his gaming PC a few months back (around the launch of the C2D). Originally we were going to order the parts off of newegg and assemble it but we found a killer deal (at the time) off of iBuypower. At that time I had heard that iBuypower was a good company, but....well lets just say I want to send them a small explosive device now because they had to go and include a water cooling kit into his case. A BAD WATER COOLING KIT.

So anyways, he gets his computer, and to my horror I look inside and see that his 7950 GX2 was literally free-floating in the case. I plugged it back in, and the machine simply refused to boot. I told him that he would have to send it back, and he later found that the warehouse was within walking distance from his house. Basically after that he began having trouble with it "overheating" and crashing for a while. After he got his compy replaced the first time I left him alone except for the occasional setup thing for Oblivion or what not. BAD. FUCKING. IDEA.

Around early December last year my school had a lan party (which was fun besides what happened). As soon as he brought his computer in I knew there was a problem. Literally his entire computer was filled with INCHES of dirt, dust and dust bunnies. I don't know how it is humanly possible to get that much dust into a case without dumping truck loads of fine sand into it. But that wasn't the worst part. I noticed that his Gigabyte water cooling tubes were covered with this icky green film. I have been using water cooling and know that that is algae. Somehow algae had infested his loop within 2 months. I was almost frightened when he turned it on, but surprisingly it booted. I heard the sound of gurgling water and immediately asked him how he managed to pollute his water. He said that it just became like that over time. So I opened up the side panel and noticed that the twits at the factory had not sealed the cap on the combination res/pump.

After being horrified by the condition of his system, I went ahead and went back to mine to start playing some CS. He was a clan member (more or less just me and my friends at the time) of mine, and I went back to check up on his computer. He said it was working fine but that his GPU felt a little bit warmer then usual (im guessing he felt the heat sink). I told him that its probably normal and that it felt different because it was a colder night. He went ahead and rebooted though, and all I hear is this massive BEEEEEEEEP. I look over and his computer is stuck at the MSI boot screen. So an hour later after putting my HD in, putting my backup HD in and then trying to boot off of a memtest CD I had, I finally figured that his mobo's ATA controller had died. I let him play on my computer for the rest of the night because I was nice, and at because of that I got to play on my school's IT guys computer (an FX-62 with a REAL watercooling system and 2 7900 GTX's). Any who, he sent his computer back in and surprisingly they actually went ahead and honored his warranty.

So tonight my friend and I were talking about Oblivion and he mentioned that his computer had "overheated" again. I figured that the twits at iBP had done something stupid like not install the water block correctly. So I asked him to get me a screen shot from Core Temp. His temps were 44 degrees on both cores, so I figured I would ask him some more questions. This is how the conversation went.

Me: looks like your temps shouldn’t be that much of an issue
Not the best but certainly not killer
It’s either your GPU or your ram that is overheating
Him: the waterkooling is off right now
ibuypower is sending me new fluid
Me: ...what are you cooling your CPU with then
Him: nothing
is that a problem?
nvm
4 fans
(I though he was literally pointing 4 fans at his case. He does this kind of thing)
Me: ...do you have heat sinks on them?
Him: no
Me: as in does your CPU have anything touching it
air
Me: HOLY FUCK TURN YOUR COMPUTER OFF
Him: y?
whatz wrong?
Me: YOUR GOING TO KILL YOUR PROCESSOR
TURN IT OFF
Him: it been like that 4 2 weeks
Me: that’s why it’s overheating, turn it the fuck off!
Him: but im studying
the cooling was working fine
Me: save it, put your water-cooling back on
Him: but ibuy power called me and said i needed more coolant
Me: turn it off for gods sake
Him: its been fine 4 2 weeks
Me: ...whatever you say, you’re going to kill it though
Him: i turned on the cooling
Me: im surprised its lasted this long
is the CPU just exposed to the air
?
Him: it is under a vet spewing out 10 degree air
Me: no, inside of it
Him: ferenhight
Me: the actual processor
Me: you are going to fry it
Him: i just turned the cooling back on
Me: ...
I don’t understand, do you have something physically touching the processor
Him: yes
Me: -_-
Him: the waterkooling is touching it
Me: kill me now
Him: 2 weeks ago iBuypower left a message for me to turn it off
but they called me by the wrong name
thought it was weird
it called me mr. brown
There is a fan on top of the waterkooling thingy which is on top of the cpu
Hello?
Me: I understand the situation -_-*
Him: they pit it in complementary when they fucked my comp
And it gets worse.....

Me: since we know your CPU is not exposed to the air now, do one more thing for me
go to the control panel and go to the Nvidia control panel
Sent at 7:40 PM on Tuesday
Him: K
Me: click on 3D settings and then go to monitor temperature levels. Tell me what your temp is
Him: 60 degs C
Me: ok, that doesn’t sound too bad either......that leaves ram, hard drive or PSU...
Him: it usually overheats only if im running multiple games at the same time
usually if the number is over 4
Me: ....
thats why, Windows is running out of system and virtual memory
Partially my fault for not informing him about the basics of computer knowledge, but he really is clueless at times. I have tried and tried again to explain to him that his 2 cores do not add up to 5.8 ghz. He doesn't get that his motherboard does not support SLI. I'm amazed that he still has a warranty for gods sake. /rant.

Just a warning to anyone who builds computers for newbies, make sure that you teach them the basics of simple fixes first. It will save you time and effort later :gonk:.

InnerGoat
January 30th, 2007, 10:57 PM
Lmao @ watercooling with the pump off.. Thats terrible though :-3

legionaire45
January 30th, 2007, 11:00 PM
Lmao @ watercooling with the pump off.. Thats terrible though :-3

it wasn't off...it was overgrown.

*edit* I see what you mean. Yeah, that will do it, especially since he was trying to run Oblivion, Halo and Counter Strike at the same time. I'm not even kidding you btw.

WhÎþLå§h ÐÆmØÑ
January 30th, 2007, 11:08 PM
Wow, what an idiot. And that company needs to get shut down. :p

legionaire45
January 30th, 2007, 11:29 PM
Wow, what an idiot. And that company needs to get blown the hell up. :p

rossmum
January 30th, 2007, 11:42 PM
it wasn't off...it was overgrown.

*edit* I see what you mean. Yeah, that will do it, especially since he was trying to run Oblivion, Halo and Counter Strike at the same time. I'm not even kidding you btw.
... I don't even know what to say...

WhÎþLå§h ÐÆmØÑ
January 31st, 2007, 12:26 AM
... I don't even know what to say...That you wish your computer could run all those at once? :p

Con
January 31st, 2007, 12:34 AM
rofl, the kid's nuts

rossmum
January 31st, 2007, 12:47 AM
That you wish your computer could run all those at once? :p
Shut up. :gonk:

legionaire45
January 31st, 2007, 01:35 AM
rofl, the kid's nuts

I dont think he has heard of a little thing called "virtual memory". Or what happens when you fill it up.

BUT HE HAS A CORE 2 DUO! ITS 2 x 2.44ghz = 5.88 Ghz!!!

This will give me nightmares for the next few weeks -_-. I still think about that horrendous green coating his tubing. Its like hes trying to raise goldfish in his resovior and is dumping in handfuls of fish food every day.

Leiukemia
January 31st, 2007, 01:46 AM
Wtf does the kid need 3 games going at once for anyways???

rossmum
January 31st, 2007, 01:52 AM
God only knows.

n00b1n8R
January 31st, 2007, 05:01 AM
because he can?

Atty
January 31st, 2007, 06:14 AM
Wtf does the kid need 3 games going at once for anyways???The same reason I do. Because we can. :) Core 2's for win.

Cortexian
January 31st, 2007, 09:23 AM
Take his computer away from him and tell him to go to public LAN games or something. Yea I only have a Pentium 4 2.4 Ghz processor without hyper threading. No multiple games for me.

cls
January 31st, 2007, 09:23 AM
Those three resource eating games at once damn. He might as well have his computer calculate Pi to the last digit while he was at it.

Atty
January 31st, 2007, 09:27 AM
He might as well have his computer calculate Pi to the last digit while he was at it.Took me 16 seconds on my last over clock run. :-3

I_Am_Error117
January 31st, 2007, 03:38 PM
And thats why I used newegg kids.

Boo Diddly
January 31st, 2007, 04:52 PM
wow, just wow.
I knew there were people who can't be trusted with computers, but WtF?:suicide:

I've got a oc 3.8ghz P4, runs at "idle" between 43 and 47, but never had a problem. If he had my processor, he would of had crisp silicon for breakfast. *Water cooling I have*

Also, does he live in a sandbox or something?

Literally his entire computer was filled with INCHES of dirt, dust and dust bunnies.

An Emu
January 31st, 2007, 05:35 PM
haha, what a noob...

legionaire45
January 31st, 2007, 09:11 PM
I might be either getting his computer or going over to his place to install Vista when he gets it. :suicide:

I found out why he had his WC system turned off by the way. iBuypower literally called him up out of the blue and simply told him to turn the pump off. They said that because he complained about the "overheating" and they said that he had run out of fluid. This was about 3 weeks before they called him up.

How did these people get hired again?

Edward Elrich
February 1st, 2007, 07:31 AM
Wow, the company obviously needs to take "watercooling system management 101" or something. And I thought that watercooling systems were harder to manage. Easiest way to counter overheating: (or in my opinion, anyway) Point a regular fan (not a cieling fan) so the wind blows away from the compy, to draw out the hot air from inside the tower and lower the temperature. That, and don't play 4+ memory-eating games (like Halo and CS) at the same time.

Emmzee
February 1st, 2007, 01:38 PM
Maybe those games were eating his memory because the hackers stole his megahurtz. :v

Pooky
February 1st, 2007, 04:02 PM
What... the... fuck...

How... how do you even DO that?

Ugh, I guess I can't understand being the kind of person who air-dusts my case every few days.

Abdurahman
February 1st, 2007, 08:45 PM
lmao omfg!

legionaire45
February 3rd, 2007, 07:31 PM
:withstupid:

lmao I liek contributed to the thread. read the rules about stupid posts please /moderator.

btw, I talked to him about vista and he hasn't gotten it in yet. He now has his pump turned back on (thank god). Im guessing iBuypower expects people to come to them with basic tweaking knowledge of computers. The odd thing is that I haven't heard bad things from them (at least not this bad). Then again, I have heard of stupider things....here (http://www.rinkworks.com/stupid/)

Pooky
February 3rd, 2007, 08:31 PM
I want a Mac that can run Halo, that'll be around $20 right?

*dies*

Okay, the paranoia ones are awesome. Reminds me of at school, this guy was doing something in Pascal, and these black girls sitting at a table behind him got him sent to the Principal's office for hacking the network. No one understood why I was laughing for a good 3 minutes.

TeeKup
February 4th, 2007, 12:46 AM
Excuse me but is this kid stupid or something?

legionaire45
February 4th, 2007, 03:24 AM
hes a fucking genious in math and chemistry, just really inexperienced with computers and electronics because when he breaks stuff his parents usual either fix it or replace it for him. As you can see his spelling isnt that great either.

Cortexian
February 4th, 2007, 09:52 PM
... wow, if he's really good at math, he should be able to grasp computers and programming without much effort...

legionaire45
February 4th, 2007, 11:03 PM
... wow, if he's really good at math, he should be able to grasp computers and programming without much effort...

Its more like he is better at the concepts behind things rather then actually physically doing them. Also, hes a Oblivion Poser modder (much like me with CE xD). He cant program and has no knowledge of how computers really work except that you plug things in and it boots or it doesn't.

*goes back to dev'ving my game*