PDA

View Full Version : [map] - Scorpion Song

Idjiki
March 13th, 2008, 06:01 PM
SS: Tank battle concept map
SD: updated SS to Intellivision Triple Action concept map
GG: WIP for fully playable surreal (loosely) egyptian theme (currently, sans pyramids) map

download for original version: Scorpion Song (http://exchange.mxotech.com/xtransfer/scorpionsong.rar)
download for update version: Scorpion Dance (http://exchange.mxotech.com/xtransfer/scorpiondance.rar)
download for current WIP: Glass Glitcher WIP (http://exchange.mxotech.com/xtransfer/glassglitcher2.zip) (its a WIP if you don't want that then don't dl)
download for Triple Action Templates: Wartorn (http://exchange.mxotech.com/xtransfer/wartorn.zip) (I can't condone nor do I recommend dl'ing this one...its just here for the curious... and I emphatically suggest that you refrain from using the scorpion battle rifle 'cause modded weapons like that are just retarded)

edit: changed pics to 3dsmax images

http://exchange.mxotech.com/xtransfer/3ds_images.jpg

Kornman00
March 17th, 2008, 06:31 AM
When posting something in here, be sure to abide by the following rules:

For maps, there must be at least one picture giving a good idea of the level with a brief description.Anything posted in here which cannot follow these few posting guidelines will be removed.
You have 24 hours to comply. Failure to do so will cause this thread will be removed.

Lord Mirko
March 17th, 2008, 07:53 AM
You have 24 hours to comply.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3209/2340612700_7cc9d15508.jpg?v=0

RESISTANCE IS FUTILE. :lol:

WOW what a crappy map just some boxes and even the textures are ugly even one texture is not even correctly applied. Learn 3ds Max first, than make a map.Nothing personal.

Vicky
March 17th, 2008, 08:07 AM
It's a box with boxes and a lot of clutter, 3 million scorpions and no UVWs or shaders for that matter... and no CTF...

beele
March 17th, 2008, 10:41 AM
Yeah, give us some pictures of the map :)

spartan463
March 17th, 2008, 02:19 PM
oh you got my hopes up thinking that there is a new map, and that people are still working with H2 maps, but Im not so sure now.

cheezdue
March 17th, 2008, 03:27 PM
Hm just another map that makes people think that no one makes maps for h2.

Idjiki
March 17th, 2008, 08:04 PM
ha, it is a box map and your right vicky. its a concept model for the Scorpion Dance map which is coming soon. i have added my own shaders and some other stuff. I will work with textures next.
The song was a start and I wanted to get feedback from the forum. I will post the Dance soon (which I hope you guys will like alot more).

fyi- I've only been doing this for a little while so bear with me 'till you see the Dance. I'm really trying to make good maps for H2 cause I want it to live on forever..... :puke: :giggle:

Idjiki
March 17th, 2008, 08:07 PM
oh you got my hopes up thinking that there is a new map, and that people are still working with H2 maps, but Im not so sure now.

Ha now that is funny. I feel the same way. Where are the new maps? Hey I'm putting the hours in anyway.

Vicky
March 17th, 2008, 09:24 PM
ha, it is a box map and your right vicky. its a concept model for the Scorpion Dance map which is coming soon. i have added my own shaders and some other stuff. I will work with textures next.
The song was a start and I wanted to get feedback from the forum. I will post the Dance soon (which I hope you guys will like alot more).

fyi- I've only been doing this for a little while so bear with me 'till you see the Dance. I'm really trying to make good maps for H2 cause I want it to live on forever..... :puke: :giggle:

Song? Dance? .... You on the right game?

Don't you mean gut splattering, blood gushing, internals all over the map kinda map?

Idjiki
March 17th, 2008, 10:02 PM
I like these kind of names.

but yes, the blood & guts and all that is why i make the maps. luv digital massacre.

edit: redundant

Sel
March 18th, 2008, 10:41 AM
This is disgusting.

Like seriously, yuck.

You clearly have little knowledge of modelling, I suggest you learn how to do so well, before you post your work here again.

Simply, levels made out of extruded squares are completely unacceptable.

Idjiki
March 18th, 2008, 12:01 PM
Like wow, thanks for the input...

neway the extruded squares are inspired by the Battle Tanks title in Intellivision's Triple Action game. The idea was to adapt a 2d environment into a 3d one. If you think about it, an extruded square is perfect for that. I can make buildings and put in glass (which I did a little in the Dance map), make levels in there and do all that as well... I don't think that's all that hard but it doesn't make sense in this map. You are supposed to fight with tanks, then race, then fight with shees... hell I'm nostalgic why else would i be playing Halo 2?! There are much better alternatives than Halo 2 to play or map for, but I like Halo2 and I miss my Intellivision.

So, look at my Song map..look at the Dance revision and tell me I'm not working hard...
Give it some time and with your suggestions I will be making far better maps...All of which I plan on posting so get out your red pens and get used to the idea that a noob is the last one making maps that actually get played.

Oh, and my 3dsmax is so buggy on my x64 Vista that I have to keep re-doing my work if I don't save constantly. I must have re-done about a dozen elements b/c it keeps crashing on me... prevents me from putting in the very fine detail work cause the damn thing freaks out all the time.

Here is the link to dl Scorpion Dance:
Scorpion Dance (http://exchange.mxotech.com/xtransfer/scorpiondance.rar)

fyi - if anyone is having a hard time putting their maps or other files up for dl, I can help out for free on my web server...just ask.

SnaFuBAR
March 18th, 2008, 02:41 PM
Sounds more like you're lazy, you're making excuses, you're unskilled and you're covering up for it with BS. Don't do yourself that disservice. If it's poorly done, there's no excuse other than lack of skill or dedication. It's boxes inside a box, it SUCKS. Get over that fact. You can adapt 2d to 3d without it looking like a landfill.

You say it's supposed to be good for tactical tank combat? ARE YOU JOKING WITH YOURSELF? A crapload of boxes evenly spaced out in a grid is NOT good for "tactics". All it equates to is who's looking the right direction at the right time and who shoots first and it's NOTHING MORE than that.

Go learn to model so you can stop making excuses for your work, then come back with a decent map.

Idjiki
March 18th, 2008, 03:08 PM
Some ingame pics of the Dance:

http://exchange.mxotech.com/xtransfer/scorpiondance_ingame.jpg

Idjiki
March 18th, 2008, 03:12 PM
Sounds more like you're lazy, you're making excuses, you're unskilled and you're covering up for it with BS. Don't do yourself that disservice. If it's poorly done, there's no excuse other than lack of skill or dedication. It's boxes inside a box, it SUCKS. Get over that fact. You can adapt 2d to 3d without it looking like a landfill.

You say it's supposed to be good for tactical tank combat? ARE YOU JOKING WITH YOURSELF? A crapload of boxes evenly spaced out in a grid is NOT good for "tactics". All it equates to is who's looking the right direction at the right time and who shoots first and it's NOTHING MORE than that.

Go learn to model so you can stop making excuses for your work, then come back with a decent map.

Wow this forum...

Sel
March 18th, 2008, 03:14 PM
Wow this forum... anyway, ppl like the game. I'm not lazy. I just started cut me some slack and offer advice not crappy crit.

ppl are always asking me stuff and trying things out with me. I respond politely and I always help them b/c I want to support this community. I nvr called anyone a noob but myself (not that you did but its so implied) and I don't yell or fight about this stuff.

so, give me advice or look at another thread.

tx

He did give you good crit, learn to model something nice.

I guarantee you that hes a way better modeller than you are, and he knows what he is talking about, and if you have any interest in improving, youd do well to shut up, and listen to him.

Idjiki
March 18th, 2008, 04:16 PM
ok i am listening but it sounds like crappy crit not good crit

Bastinka
March 18th, 2008, 04:43 PM
My Advice:
Make maps that fit the concept of Halo, if not actually try to make more things such as weapons, vehicles and scenery that fit the concept of the map. It's basically like slapping Arnold Schwartzenegger in the Telletubbies series, it just wont work no matter how much you change it. I don't ever see anyone doing anything more then wasting bandwidth with maps like these, thats just my thought of it.

Sel
March 18th, 2008, 04:46 PM
ok i am listening but it sounds like crappy crit not good crit

It what you make of it, and if you want to sit around in bliss thinking youre actually good, go ahead, but youre not, you have to drop out of that cloud of dreams sometime and get used to reality.

Idjiki
March 18th, 2008, 04:50 PM
My Advice: Make maps that fit the concept of Halo, if not actually try to make more things such as weapons, vehicles and scenery that fit the concept of the map. It's basically like slapping Arnold Schwartzenegger in the Telletubbies series, it just wont work no matter how much you change it.

Thanks for the ideas.. I will be working with textures and modded weapons and stuff like that next.

I'm not so sure about making exclusively Halo themed maps though... I am interested in the Terminator and Telletubbies though... :eek: ok not really

LOL The Terminator meets the Telletubbies!

Idjiki
March 18th, 2008, 04:55 PM
It what you make of it, and if you want to sit around in bliss thinking youre actually good, go ahead, but youre not, you have to drop out of that cloud of dreams sometime and get used to reality.

hrrm... you just don't understand. I will blissfully ignore you now.

supersniper
March 18th, 2008, 08:29 PM
Dude there is an edit button for a reason. And personally I think you should get rid of the boxes inside and replace them with buildings. Then turn this into a city warfare theme basically. Because right now it does look like boxes inside boxes. It is a good idea for tank wars but poorly executed. Also try making the edges either cliffs or hills in the distance for the city idea. Anyways I hope you improve on this. Best of luck.

-Fro§ter-

Sel
March 18th, 2008, 09:09 PM
hrrm... you just don't understand. I will blissfully ignore you now.

Along with the rest of h2v. Have fun.

SnaFuBAR
March 18th, 2008, 09:46 PM
i can say what idjiki is saying, but it doesn't mean much. you can't google "3ds max tutorials" or "modeling tutorials"?? dude, how much do you need us to hold your hand? do your parents wipe your bottom for you? there's so much information out there that is easily accessible and readily available that you don't have any excuse to make a bunch of boxes with the worst textures you could get and call it a map.

NO EXCUSE. www.3dtotal.com. consider your buttocks wiped and your hand held. go get tutorials and learn, don't spend another 2 months making badly textured blocks.

Idjiki
March 18th, 2008, 10:41 PM
...personally I think you should get rid of the boxes inside and replace them with buildings. Then turn this into a city warfare theme basically. Because right now it does look like boxes inside boxes. It is a good idea for tank wars but poorly executed. Also try making the edges either cliffs or hills in the distance for the city idea. Anyways I hope you improve on this. Best of luck.

-Fro§ter-

i agree with you. i was thinking i should cover it all up and use some plains for distant objects views and to cover up the cave so you can't see it from up above...if that makes sense. I can do all of what you suggest and I really appreciate a normal post for once...

Tweek
March 19th, 2008, 03:30 AM
360 degrees and walk away

Sel
March 19th, 2008, 06:30 AM
i agree with you. i was thinking i should cover it all up and use some plains for distant objects views and to cover up the cave so you can't see it from up above...if that makes sense. I can do all of what you suggest and I really appreciate a normal post for once...

btw - my ingame comments are 180 degrees from this forum... and that's ok. I didn't think it would be too favorable, but i did expect some better feedback than what i got for the most part. its damn brutal in here and normally thats cool but some of these comments were just plain stupid.

just a question: ya the Song is a basic map, but did anyone look at the Dance? I mean i did alot more in that one. It just seems like i'm getting ripped a new one over the Song but the Dance is atleast as good as some other maps i saw in here that didn't get nearly reamed like i did.

here's me on the left and the forum on the right :fuckoff:

:gtfo:

Dammit cant -rep him again :|

Idjiki
March 19th, 2008, 12:17 PM
edit: i cooled down a bit.

to put a bttr spin on all this... i want to thank snafubar for the great lead.

"Google "beretta 9000 tutorial" and get the 9 video series"

incredible modeling VTM..
this will improve my skillset greatly.

disclosure: i think i get it now... this site is for serious stuff not just any old halo 2 map {snicker}

Idjiki
March 24th, 2008, 03:16 PM
I will link my WIP's and Finals on the first post of this thread. In case any one is interested or wants the map but is having a hard time doing it ingame.

Tx.

jngrow
March 25th, 2008, 10:03 PM
360 degrees and walk away

Wait... what?

Idjiki
March 25th, 2008, 10:11 PM
He was just using something i said against me in a funny way... i said that my ingame comments are 180 degrees from the comments here in this forum... so it was a funny comeback.

ya i edited some of my posts... realized it was pointless so...

johnnyblaz20
March 25th, 2008, 10:38 PM
You should make the edit button a little more handy. 4 double posts on 3 pages.

OmegaDragon
March 26th, 2008, 09:23 AM
Steps to success (maybe):
1) Practice.
2) Practice.
3) Practice.
4) Practice.
5) Practice.
6) Practice.
7) Lurk, look, and learn.
8) Practice.
9) Ask questions
10) Repeat 1-9 as necessary and go to 11
11) Know your tools
12) Practice with the tools.
13) Develop an original idea.
14) Start a WIP.
15) Mess around with your WIP.
16) If stuck, ask for advice or help (with proper grammar). Do not directly ask for someone to do a specific thing in a bossy way, (For examples view the posts of some of the people that have negative reputation) Instead ask nicely.
17) If you have tags that do not belong to you, give credit to the maker.
18) Once you have something established, make it happen.
19) Do not give up on your work (unless it is inevitable or a complete mess)
20) Before posting, make sure to make a clean, clear render and make it look pleasing to the eyes. (Renders to give out details in the model/map will look better without textures, for eye candy renders, it is OK to add textures as long as the mesh is properly textured and they are not stretched out)
21) Post it as a WIP and ask for suggestions (nicely and with proper grammar)
22) Allow more experienced members to give out opinions on the model. Follow their advice as necessary, not all advice is good.
23) There will ALWAYS be a flamer. Deal with it.
24) Although updating is nice, changing one little detail doesn't mean is time for an update. (unless that little detail is very important)
25) Once you think it is ready for the public, post the newest version in the WIP and let the community judge it. If they and you think it looks good, go for it.(import, add scenery, etc) Post one more time ingame, follow any good advice, then release it.

This process can take alot of time. (Months or maybe years *points at CMT, and Neuro after stating the years as an example*)

also learn to use the edit button ;)

Idjiki
March 26th, 2008, 04:02 PM
practice practice practice.. good advice
(+rep for Omega's very practical rules, all new modellers/map-makers should review, wish it was up b4 I posted)

I will be putting in as many hours this week and weekend as i can doing an overhaul of Scorpion Dance. This will be titled Triple Action and will close the Scorpion series. I have all my ideas down for that so if you still want to crit or give feedback I will be very attentive to it.

I would like some crit or feedback on the Glass Glitcher.
Here are my issues as I see them: (I know its an odd map for halo so don't crit that right now tx)
1. overall flow - I want it to play variants well, any map can be a slayer map
2. Inner complex - I am seriously considering tunnels and/or a complex built into the mountain somewhere but I'm not sure how to make it work with the map... no point in adding an element that provides no advantage to game play
3. Pyramids - there should be 2 floating pyramids for red and blue base and 1 for neutral base (not sure if this will just clutter it up or what the best approach with that will be)
4. water/fog - these got pulled around a bit in the WIP so I will have to delete and rebuild (no biggie); There will be a river flowing from down the mountain into the central field and out somewhere (more as an fyi, but maybe you have some thoughts that I could apply); my water (from the BigDaddy tut and JohnnyBlaz shaders) doesn't react with projectiles or vehicles driving through (maybe noone wants to share that..its ok I will work on it myself if needed)
5. shaders and UV'in needs work (fyi again)
6. Poly count - unneeded polys in current WIP, need to clean up and optimize
7. ?

fyi - my netiquette is improved now.. no more double posts.. sry

pls pm me with any further overall netiquette or unrelated topics.. I just want to discuss my WIP's here

I respect the intellectual rights of any member here. If you give me something or tell me something it was not mine to begin with and stays with me unless you tell me its ok to share.

tx.

edit: pic added of a beginning model for Triple Action.. wartorn/earthquake buildings...needs tons of work ik but just for kicks here it is

http://exchange.mxotech.com/xtransfer/wartorn_earthquake5.jpg
http://exchange.mxotech.com/xtransfer/wartornTA.jpg

xBigDaddyx117
March 30th, 2008, 09:18 PM
when you see me on live tell me cause I want to see that wall ingame.

Idjiki
March 31st, 2008, 01:33 PM
http://exchange.mxotech.com/xtransfer/asserror1.jpg

I knew that this could happen but omg so funny...

the .ass error was minor, i fixed no prob

xBigDaddyx117
March 31st, 2008, 07:14 PM
It looks a little to big for the master chief. idk. ill see it later.

What are you planing to do for the rest of the map?

johnnyblaz20
March 31st, 2008, 07:31 PM
Did you scale an object in one direction? Can't do that. If you scale it must be a uniform scale or you'll get an error exporting and the object will be unusable.

Idjiki
March 31st, 2008, 08:23 PM
The scale isn't perfect yet that's tru but I've tested with tanks and shees and it isn't too bad right now..some of it needs to be moved around a bit to polish it off... these buildings are all templates and are being built in their own max files... i merge them, box them, package and play for testing...

This is a total overhaul and re-envisioning of Scorpion Dance. I will try to make the three games (battle tanks, race and biplanes) a cohesive whole in this version... in other words, the race course, battlefield and air battle arena will make more sense together.
I'm also going off of the recommendations made here by snafubar, etc... eg - tank battlefield needs more to it to make it good for strategy; no extruded boxes; learn how to model; shut up and listen; etc

Don't know why I got my .ass error. I just re-merged the templates, re-boxed, etc.... and my .ass felt better!

paladin
April 9th, 2008, 09:44 PM
It redefines Box map.