PDA

View Full Version : [MAP] Sidewinder a.k.a. Summerwinder

johnnyblaz20
March 20th, 2008, 06:44 AM
I've been working on a port of sidewinder off and on for a while now in my free time. Now someone beat me to the punch so i decided to make a version of sidewinder based in the warmer seasons. Well i also changed the season because of the fact that hog will not loose it's friction on the ice but thats another story.

This is a beta and i'm working on the final version but i'd like some hard punch in the mouth criticism. So Please let me know what you think and what needs to be fixed. I'll edit this post when i get it finished.

edit: Okay many many changes to this map but its in essence the same deal. I would say this is the final release but i'm sure i'll get some hints on problems. And i'm not 100% sure all gametypes are 100% operational but i don't mind this being hosted now. Let me know what you think.

Keep in mind this is a port and alot of the scenery and bsp is brought to you by the fabulous M$ and also i had help with a couple textures thanks to bigdaddy. Hmm Also i used some of warningshot's tree knowledge to make the branches go with the flow. And a big thanks to my GF for not complaining "too much" about my computer usage the last couple days so i could finish this. Shh, i didn't say that. lol

http://img160.imageshack.us/img160/5177/00010copygy3.jpg
http://img100.imageshack.us/img100/8703/00000copytx7.jpg
http://img509.imageshack.us/img509/7446/00012copyja2.jpg

dl link= http://files.filefront.com/summerwinderrar/;9954618;/fileinfo.html

Lord Mirko
March 20th, 2008, 06:59 PM
The basic shape is ok.Its a good start, but its need more detail.
Ground, Rocks, Cliffs and Waterfalls.
Very Important the UVW, it needs a loot of fixing.

If u need any texture I can provide.

P.S - What is the Light Quality ?

jngrow
March 20th, 2008, 07:45 PM
I'd say work on the waterfalls, UVWs in some areas, and redo the cliffs a lil, make them sparkle.

johnnyblaz20
March 20th, 2008, 08:15 PM
The light quality is set at super. I know, it does not look that way. But uvw-ing is a large part of the process at hand along with some texture swapping. What exactly would i have to do to the waterfalls to make them look more realistic?

Oh and does my water look okay? I had a hell of a time making it as transperant as it is. I wanted it that way so peope can't hide in the water. Or do you think it would look better if it had a fog plane or maybe just less transperant.

Edit: the ground. does that need work or does it look okay because it was experimental for me with a full base map.

Sel
March 20th, 2008, 08:27 PM
Wow, Im liking this. :D

johnnyblaz20
March 20th, 2008, 08:42 PM
Are you sure you don't want me to add a bunch of extruded boxes? lol

Idjiki
March 20th, 2008, 08:42 PM
Looks pretty good. i will dl and check it out.

btw- vic or whatev his name is asked me to host sidewinder beta 1. i'll only put up betas that ppl want me too.

Warningshot3
March 20th, 2008, 08:58 PM
nice work, downloading now.

are you going to add grass with the decorator brush later?

johnnyblaz20
March 20th, 2008, 09:12 PM
yes. the decorator brush slows sapien down for me so thats the final touch. I also made a few other dec. brush tags that i'll be putting in also.

P.S. Warningshot3 Thanks for your trees. I used the pic from your tree file to animate my trees.

{XF}Lowsy
March 20th, 2008, 09:20 PM
Nice Job Johnny. Aside from the UVWing, the powerups in my test slayer match did not the invis next to the OS. One side had two OS' while the other side was proper.

Also, one of the portals faces you right into a wall. So check those out a bit.

And based on your other map, make sure the spawn points don't plop me right into the enemies base for CTF, assault, etc...

I like the summer sidewinder..

Warningshot3
March 20th, 2008, 10:40 PM
ok just played it :giggle: and now its time for some feedback.

this is probably stuff you already know.

well the leaves move a bit to fast. just ask me if you need help with the shader.

you might want to take the bump and refraction of the water down a little in the BSP water settings, reflection bump scale and refraction bump scale. would be nice if sapien could do cubemaps.

sapien can be slow with decorators but it will be faster in game from what i have learned, if you just cant put up with the slowness in sapien you can just use "rasterizer_far_clip_distance " and put a number like 20 on the end.
if one day you get a super fast computer you can add "-highquality" to the sapiens shortcut so everything looks like in game graphics.

that lens flare is giving me cancer. i recreated a lens flare that close to coagulation, here is a link http://www.mediafire.com/?mjx9omg3oxf
im sure you know how to set it up in h2kornman00.

um thats all i can think of right now. plz dont hate me.

StankBacon
March 20th, 2008, 11:01 PM
wow, this map looks friggin awesome.

nice job and keep up the good work.

johnnyblaz20
March 20th, 2008, 11:04 PM
As i fix some of these errors i'm gonna post updated map links at the top link.

Thanks for the input everyone. I expect much more. I'll start working on more when i get home.

Oh. P.S. warningshot. Thanks for the lens flare tag. And what do you concider a super fast computer? I don't think mine is slow atleast.

specs=
3ghz core2duo
4gb ddr2 kingston hyperX ram
radeon 1950pro X2 on crossfire
160gb raptor X2
ASUS P5B Premium Mobo
And well the rest really does not matter for mapping/modeling.

Warningshot3
March 21st, 2008, 02:53 AM
And what do you concider a super fast computer? I don't think mine is slow atleast.

anything thats better than my pos computer. 2.6ghz p4, 3gb ddr ram, x800 gpu and for my laptop centrino 1.67 dual core, 1gb ddr2 ram, 7300go.

yeah my computers suck but thats what i get for not having a job.

Kornman00
March 21st, 2008, 05:50 AM
Has some potential. Would love seeing this on xbox...

Keep up the work, and listen to the people's remarks on upping the quality.

johnnyblaz20
March 21st, 2008, 06:54 AM
Do you think redish cliffs like in burial mounds would look okay?

Lord Mirko
March 21st, 2008, 07:50 AM
One simple truth.Where flows the water

http://img329.imageshack.us/img329/4725/00004copyww2.jpg

LgK_BoZz
March 21st, 2008, 08:06 AM
wow nice map! but why we can't host it?

johnnyblaz20
March 21st, 2008, 10:03 AM
wow nice map! but why we can't host it?
It's not done yet. Not trying to be a jerk but i don't want 10 versions of the same map floating around. The last time i put a beta out it ended up getting hosted and i went to join the server thinking i could just join and i got the DL message. Needless to say if this map for some reason becomes popular that could be an issue for everyone. I thank you if you just wait. Give me a week. 2 at the most and it will be done.

Feel free to play it with a friend but please don't put it on a dedi but pass that message along.

cheezdue
March 21st, 2008, 10:55 AM
really nice map you made.

Idjiki
March 21st, 2008, 11:06 AM
i know what your sayin about the multiple files... but honestly i nvr had that prob b/c i'd just dl the diff one and backup the orig...or i just let the dl replace the current map if it was an update.

Anyway, awesome job so far.. its lookin real promising.. i'm excited to see it all uv'd up and detaild out

-its pretty cool to have 2 new betas to look at...funny that they are the same map basically with diff seasons and diff touches

Syuusuke
March 21st, 2008, 11:18 AM
Well, I did see someone hosting it (via peer game, not dedi) so... that works too right?

johnnyblaz20
March 21st, 2008, 01:49 PM
Well, I did see someone hosting it (via peer game, not dedi) so... that works too right?

Yeah but thats okay. Its much better testing a map with others. Aslong as it is not repetitivly playing on a playlist. I know by me putting this map here alot of people will have it. All i am asking is please just use this map for testing and critisizim because it is not complete.

Anyways back to the map. I am working on putting a redish tinted cliff in like the one in burial mounds and coag textured rocks. I think it is looking alright but i don't know if its what i want. I'll post a pic later after compilation So i am currently working on the cliff/rock textures.

Any suggesions for textures or if you have any custom textures you think would be good please let me know.

Syuusuke
March 21st, 2008, 02:18 PM
At least take off the first link, I joined a game that had the old beta...well that won't matter anyway.

johnnyblaz20
March 21st, 2008, 03:48 PM
Check these Screen shots of my cliffs i'm working on. 2 of 3 thought it was worth fixing up so i thought i'd get some more opinions.

http://files.filefront.com/Screen+shotsrar/;9863002;/fileinfo.html

xBigDaddyx117
March 22nd, 2008, 03:06 PM
No, those cliffs look bad, Use the ones i gave you.

Idjiki
March 22nd, 2008, 03:20 PM
i like the cliffs the new way 'cept too red. Red color like that is usually found in the desert areas like moab, utah and not around grassy areas. i'd suggest making it a little less red.

syuusuke, r u sur you played another beta of summerwinder? there is a sidewinder beta that is an ice and snow level by xBigDaddyx117 that was just released.

Con
March 22nd, 2008, 03:23 PM
Why don`t you actually modify the map rather than directly porting the sidewinder bsp into H2V. It`s pretty boring looking.

Syuusuke
March 22nd, 2008, 03:25 PM
syuusuke, r u sur you played another beta of summerwinder? there is a sidewinder beta that is an ice and snow level by xBigDaddyx117 that was just released. Just released?

It happened two days ago...so I don't know.

Thing about Summerwinder: Turret is unreachable by foot. Thanks for melting the ice.

Idjiki
March 22nd, 2008, 03:29 PM
Why don`t you actually modify the map rather than directly porting the sidewinder bsp into H2V. It`s pretty boring looking.

ditto... but he did make it a summer map so that's pretty cool plus the water and trees are awesome improvements

johnnyblaz20
March 22nd, 2008, 04:59 PM
Just released?

It happened two days ago...so I don't know.

Thing about Summerwinder: Turret is unreachable by foot. Thanks for melting the ice.

I can reach the turret by foot on the left side. but i'll change the bsp a bit.

Also Conscars, i'm working on putting some fallen cliff/rocks half way blocking one of the side teleporter path.

Got any ideas for the large flat areas? Or any good ideas for bsp modification.

Syuusuke
March 22nd, 2008, 06:51 PM
Perhaps more hilly.

Warningshot3
March 22nd, 2008, 07:09 PM
mancannons, if thats even possible. maybe some light patchy fog on the ground to give cover to vehicles.

Syuusuke
March 22nd, 2008, 07:23 PM
They are possible, in fact I think they already exist (look in Colossus and Ascension).

johnnyblaz20
March 22nd, 2008, 10:06 PM
Ahh finally fixed my home network. DNS issue. Anyways sunday night "tomorrow night" i have about 10 hours to work on the bsp and textures.

It seems from the feedback that i need to make some bsp modifications. Maybe i'll make it slightly more hilly but i have a couple ideas. I really don't want to change It too much because of the fact that it is a port of a popular classic h1 map. I did have an idea to make the bordering hills into maybe more mountain like borders. That would also make the waterfalls more believeable in my opinion.

stunt_man
March 23rd, 2008, 05:19 PM
I have a real suggestion that you absolutely should consider:

Make this map like it was for Xbox, not Halo PC. I'm talking about the teleporters on top of the bases - make them one-way!

Making the bases accessible from the cliff passage makes the map design pointless. Please understand what I mean!

johnnyblaz20
March 23rd, 2008, 05:25 PM
How about a landslide or large rocks blocking the path so you can't just run to the other tele without jumping down and climbing back up the other side?

stunt_man
March 24th, 2008, 12:16 PM
What? I mean just like making it so you can't get into the bases from the cliff path.

Base > Teleport > Cliff

Cliff > XXXXXXXXX

Get it?

Flyboy
March 24th, 2008, 04:44 PM
Woh, I run it on high and my water isn't nearly as smexy (if you can call h2v water smexy).

Syuusuke
March 24th, 2008, 04:54 PM
Some of your teleporters are still facing the wrong way.

johnnyblaz20
March 24th, 2008, 09:14 PM
I fixed the tele problem and made some bsp modifications to make the waterfall surroundings and locations look a little more realistic. I also made it so you can reach the gunner easier along with making the terrain slightly not so flat but you might not notice that. Still working on textures, i am making a bunch of shaders for test until i find the right ones. I'll have another beta in a day or so with new pics.

What? I mean just like making it so you can't get into the bases from the cliff path.Get it?
Yes i understood what you were talking about but i don't like the idea thats why i gave another example.

Idjiki
March 30th, 2008, 10:37 PM
How much longer?? I want to put this up on H2..

damn i feel like the kiddies in the back seat..."are we there yet?"

blind
March 31st, 2008, 04:45 PM
remakes blow, plz dont

xBigDaddyx117
March 31st, 2008, 07:10 PM
Are you realy still working on this map? you havent been on msn for a while now, whats the deal?

johnnyblaz20
April 2nd, 2008, 10:15 PM
I think its done. i'm gonna do a final check when i get home and i'll post it if i'm happy with it.

Idjiki
April 2nd, 2008, 10:18 PM
:D

Beautiful..

johnnyblaz20
April 3rd, 2008, 12:57 AM
I had a couple minor problems and i had to fix it in max. hopefully the final compile.

TheGhost
April 3rd, 2008, 10:46 AM
Great job here. Keep up the good work. Take other people's feedback and improve on your map until it's the best it can be. Again, nice work!

Idjiki
April 3rd, 2008, 11:43 AM
Not one of these errors I hope!

http://exchange.mxotech.com/xtransfer/asserror1.jpg

johnnyblaz20
April 3rd, 2008, 07:49 PM
Thats the error you get when you scale an object in one direction instead of uniform.

No i didn't have any "errors" besides there was 1 spot in my water that would not splash.
I edited the bsp a bit, modified the shader, and ran a super compile last night and when i get home i'll see if my modifications solved my problem.

Syuusuke
April 3rd, 2008, 08:05 PM
Can't wait man.

Pooky
April 3rd, 2008, 08:36 PM
One simple truth.Where flows the water

I didn't see anyone take note of what this guy said but it's true and actually rather embarrassing. The way you've got that waterfall and lake set up the whole map should be flooded by now :S

johnnyblaz20
April 3rd, 2008, 10:07 PM
The bottom of the pools are sand. sinks into the water table and evaporates from the intense heat. Freshly melted snow from the mountains and ground are causing the waterfalls and pools of water in result. Good enough answer?????

Pooky
April 3rd, 2008, 10:13 PM
The bottom of the pools are sand. sinks into the water table and evaporates from the intense heat. Freshly melted snow from the mountains and ground are causing the waterfalls and pools of water in result. Good enough answer?????

I was going to say just put a drain at the bottom but whatever you want, its not like I'm ever reinstalling H2v anyway. :p

johnnyblaz20
April 3rd, 2008, 10:41 PM
I was going to say just put a drain at the bottom but whatever you want, its not like I'm ever reinstalling H2v anyway. :p

LOL. A drain would look much more realistic.... in my tub.

I honestly don't think that the valley will flood.

Sever
April 3rd, 2008, 10:45 PM
Hell, Sanctuary doesn't seem to be flooding, and its had ages of water puring down from those aqueducts. I believe that the water level in your horseshoe canyon will be fine.

Pooky
April 3rd, 2008, 10:47 PM
Hell, Sanctuary doesn't seem to be flooding, and its had ages of water puring down from those aqueducts. I believe that the water level in your horseshoe canyon will be fine.
Thats because the Forerunner have magic powers, GOSH.

Or else the energy sword just vaporizes all the water...

johnnyblaz20
April 3rd, 2008, 10:58 PM
And "magic powers" make more sence than questionable irrigation. lol

StankBacon
April 3rd, 2008, 11:11 PM
or you could just open it up, so the "back wall" is a giant cliff, and the water falls off of that...

plus itd be neat have it be alot more open looking, and to be able to fall off and stuff.

Sever
April 3rd, 2008, 11:17 PM
If it weren't for the terrain requiring there to be an elevated section between the inside and outside canyon walls, I would fully agree with you there, Bacon, but since one of the core aspects of vehicle combat on Sidewinder was having to slightly extend your travel route to avoid terrain impediments, I personally have to disagree. Nice thinking though.

johnnyblaz20
April 4th, 2008, 01:50 AM
Okay i fixed the problem with the water, I seen something i didn't like in the bsp so i slightly changed a part, and i'm compiling. Will be on here tomarrow. I have to still point the spawns in the correct direction still, i just noticed that and thats it.

Lord Mirko
April 4th, 2008, 10:24 AM
If u need any texture i can provide.:cool:
But request here.;)
Good luck with your project/map.:)

johnnyblaz20
April 5th, 2008, 12:18 PM
See the first post.

Lord Mirko
April 5th, 2008, 12:26 PM
Still needs more work.
For the texture, that i want to provide, the only reason why i want to do is because your map has potential. You don`t have to give me any credits for the textures,in the end u can say u made them your self.

Sever
April 5th, 2008, 12:34 PM
The first and third pictures look amazing, but the grass and dirt of the ground texture in the second picture ruins it. Fix it.

johnnyblaz20
April 5th, 2008, 10:49 PM
I actually changed the ground texture since that image along with making a decent bump for it. check it now and see if its better.

Still needs more work.
For the texture, that i want to provide, the only reason why i want to do is because your map has potential. You don`t have to give me any credits for the textures,in the end u can say u made them your self.

If you want to help with some textures just let me know and i'll put them in if there sweet. Just let me know what one would look good where. I'll give credit btw. I won't take credit for other people's work. BTW the water is 150% me. lol

Sever
April 5th, 2008, 11:11 PM
The near grass in the second pic looks great, but the far 'grass' and dirt look bad - improved, but still unacceptable. If I were capable, I definitely would, but... I'm simply not. Someone out there who's good help him out. Some quick pointers - make the dirt look fresher and less trodden - its not a frozen environment anymore, so the terrain should be loose and feel fertile. Make the dirt and grass have non-similar values - currently they've got about the same value when I greyscale the image. In fact, give everything greater contrast - toy around with repositioning the sun (try lower in the sky), and even having two light sources (two suns, a yellow-orange sun on one side and reflective blue-purple light from a moon on the other, etc). I'm sure that you'll run radiosity on your computer's highest-possible setting when the time comes, so that should help greatly.

johnnyblaz20
April 6th, 2008, 09:59 AM
The dirt and grass have similar values because they are the same shader. Thats the only way i could make them blend togather like they do instead of having a defined line between them.
I will mess with the shader/bitmaps later i have an idea to make the dirt look more fresh so to speak. The near grass looks the same as the far grass when you get close.
Help would be appreciated like i said because i'm not very photoshop literate. Maybe i'll take a pic of dirt and turn it into a bitmap. lol

I will try messing with the light a bit. BTW this is lit on super quality.

Just wondering, did you check it out in-game because i did make some slight modifications.

I'd like some ingame feedback because i think the ground bump looks very nice "there is disagreement there" along with a few other objects.

Oh 2 more thing. I was wondering if there was a way to make the water constantly splash like when a rocket hits it at the bottom of the waterfalls. Constant collision is what i mean. Doubt it but i'll check it out.

Warningshot3
April 6th, 2008, 11:27 PM
i created a fast tutorial on how i make a ground bitmap and shader.
Probably the most fucked up tutorial ever created but it might help.

click on the image to get full size.
http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/219/step1yo3.jpg

http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/3725/step2aj4.jpg

http://img397.imageshack.us/img397/4030/bitmapkt0.jpg

http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/8509/groundshaderyk4.jpg

http://img229.imageshack.us/img229/2007/00000yq6.jpg
i hope some expert call me a noob and explains how to do a better job.

johnnyblaz20
April 7th, 2008, 12:29 AM
I"m really gonna have to look at that a little closer later. That looks very confusing to me.

The way mine is set up is pretty much the same principal but nowhere near as damn confusing like i said.

Maybe that's what this map needs. Thanks for the input/help.

Edit: You can do most of that with a basic layout of your map and seperate bitmaps in the shader if you use the alpha correctly. I will try it your way though. Maybe it'll look better.

paladin
April 9th, 2008, 09:44 PM
looks good. the waters a little wierd but good. Nice job!

johnnyblaz20
April 10th, 2008, 08:56 PM
The thing is my water is one of the only water plane that has real-time reflection. I could cut the bump down a bit.

paladin
April 10th, 2008, 09:45 PM
Naw, its fine :)

Heathen
April 21st, 2008, 03:49 PM
Is there a map like this for CE? Just wondering...

johnnyblaz20
April 21st, 2008, 06:05 PM
No, Just halo 2.

LlamaMaster
April 21st, 2008, 06:24 PM
Something like this, I think the name was sandwinder. Only similarity though is it isn't snow.

Heathen
April 21st, 2008, 07:59 PM
Close Enough....I just like maps that did what Snowgrove did for Grove. Not populate it with fanboys, I mean changing the season.

t3h m00kz
April 22nd, 2008, 12:50 AM
Wow, fucking +rep to you son.

If only Halo 2 Vista didn't have zero community.