PDA

View Full Version : Rep Personal Opinion thread.

FRain
March 24th, 2008, 08:49 PM
We've had a talk about the gay/penis shitposting that you guys have been conjuring up recently but this is also bothering me.

Now, I am not flaming the rep system, but how it is read, and I'm neither going to attack or defend it, because I want your personal, personal opinion on the reputation system.

Notice how I put personal opinion in bold. This means you can actually disagree with someone else and not repetitively get flamed.

Now, IN MY OPINION

I think the rep system is really misread.

Now, I don't care that I have 3 rep. Not at all. However, it does bother me that some people can consider themself "Superior" when they have a lot more than the other does, but does that really mean you have anything more than a high ego and make gay shitposts often? (because I noticed when I made 3 actually funny gay shitposts I got +rep for it wtf?) It should be read that you are a respected member and if anything, do listen to them, but not that you are "superior" than them, sure you might be able to mod better, make better models, animate better, or anything really, but it doesn't make you "superior" to them. Maybe they're better at one aspect and you're better at another aspect.

I'm talking about these two particular posts:

http://www.h2vista.net/forums/showpost.php?p=233885&postcount=44

http://www.h2vista.net/forums/showpost.php?p=233885&postcount=47

Now, then again this can be sarcasm, because, I will admit, I do have a very unreliable intertubes sarcasm detector.

Now, I want your personal opinion without people with high rep nuking other peopleses rep because they disagreed with them.

Mods, if this is offensive material, delete it or PM me and I'll delete it.

YOUR PERSONAL TAKE, AND KEEP YOUR BAD COMMENTS TO YOURSELF.
KEEP THIS THREAD TO A NICE LITTLE DEBATE.

IF THIS THREAD TURNS INTO A FLAMING SHITFEST, I WILL LOCK IT.

Sel
March 24th, 2008, 08:53 PM
Now, I don't care that I have 3 rep.

Now you have 1 rep, hope you dont care.

Also, those are both the same post.

Simply, there is a reason why you may have low rep, and really no one cares, this is the internet, and E peen here means nothing, so lets leave it at that.

Con
March 24th, 2008, 08:54 PM
However, it does bother me that some people can consider themself "Superior" when they have a lot more than the other does, but does that really mean you have anything more than a high ego and make gay shitposts often?
Why does that bother you? It really shouldn't considering that you understand how boasting superiority through rep means nothing.

Flyboy
March 24th, 2008, 08:55 PM
I think the system is fucked for one reason and one reason alone. Those who have a giant rep dick, can take away more than those with a small one. Giving doesn't bother me, but why should a popular persons negative opinion on another have more impact than just a normal person. If someone has twenty billion bars, then they should still only be able to take away one point. I don't care about the giving.

Watch me drop sixty three points and my bar take on a reddish hue by tomorrow.

Ifafudafi
March 24th, 2008, 08:56 PM
From what I can tell, rep is supposed to be a measure of how much the person has contributed to the community, or how much of a childish ass they've been. As long as it's kept at that, I'm fine. Generally, people with higher rep are more credible sources for information because, based on the community's opinion, they have proven themselves as such.
Now, flaunting a high rep is simply bragging about your e-penis, which I personally detest, and anyone who believes they are "superior" to someone else for any reason, especially their reputation on an internet forum, is a blithering idiot. In my humble opinion.

I'm guessing that was sarcasm on Tweek's part, however.

Con
March 24th, 2008, 08:58 PM
I think the system is fucked for one reason and one reason alone. Those who have a giant rep dick, can take away more than those with a small one. Giving doesn't bother me, but why should a popular persons negative opinion on another have more impact than just a normal person. If someone has twenty billion bars, then they should still only be able to take away one point. I don't care about the giving.

Watch me drop sixty three points and my bar take on a reddish hue by tomorrow.
I agree with you for the most part, however as Mr. Ifafudafi says, those with more rep power generally know what they're doing and should have more of an influence. The problem is when people with lots of rep start -repping people for stupid reasons. If that happens, it's best just to report rep abuse on the person to an admin or a mod and let them deal with it.

Mass
March 24th, 2008, 08:58 PM
He was being sarcastic.

Rep might not be proportional to what one believes to be a fair quality assessment, but it is more than that. It is a representation of your experience, your social niche in the community, and how well you are recieved by the community as a whole.

It is a system based on the opinions of your peers with the most popular and longstanding bearing more power than less liked or frequent members.

On the whole, anything close to a system reflecting the actual will of the majority will always offend some group: conservapedia and conservatube where the legitimate left social leaning of internet users gives conservatives a sense of abuse are examples.

Neuro Guro
March 24th, 2008, 09:00 PM
My personal opinion is that you should blow it out your bung hole.

That is exactly how I feel about this issue.

,also did you know that tangerines are packed full of vitamin C?

Random
March 24th, 2008, 09:01 PM
Rep really doesn't mean much. Yah its nice that you get input on your posts from others, but really its no big deal.

legionaire45
March 24th, 2008, 09:01 PM
I PERSONALLY THINK REP SUCKS SINCE TWEEK -REPPED ME WHEN HE LOST THE GAME.

Seriously though, I don't put much merit into the rep system. I only use it to post short little semi-constructive messages to people like "lul" when something is funny or I -rep them when they are deserving of it. Of coarse when someone has red bars you know to be aware that they might be a shitposter/asshole but to be honest I value a person's posting history far more then rep, which is why I tend to be more skeptical of new members then others with an established posting history.

PlasbianX
March 24th, 2008, 09:02 PM
My personal opinion is that you should blow it out your bung hole.

That is exactly how I feel about this issue.

,also did you know that tangerines are packed full of vitamin C?

You know what butterscotch is? :Awesome:

And rep is lolfunny. I get so many -neg reps for random shit, its awesome :awesome:

Neuro Guro
March 24th, 2008, 09:04 PM
lol, i just lowered flamin to red. First time i've ever done that before! yay

Sel
March 24th, 2008, 09:04 PM
Love the theme song.

Flyboy
March 24th, 2008, 09:05 PM
you lost the game
Lol, that actually took me a while.

But seriously guys, this is the shit I'm talking about. What did he honestly fucking do, I don't personally like him but what did he do? Does his opinion on this matter really deserve this much...er...joyous shit spewing. Seriously, I don't see much of a problem in his opinion, he's not lashing out on anyone, he's not spewing hateful shit. Do you really find joy in just pissing him off for whatever he did in the past? It's kind of pathetic in a way. Then again.

"I have a right to my opinion!"
"Oh yeah, well I have a right to my opinion and my opinion is that you have no right to your opinion."

Then shoot the fuck and walk away.

-George Carlin

Con
March 24th, 2008, 09:05 PM
And rep is lolfunny. I get so many -neg reps for random shit, its awesome :awesome:
oh like this?
http://img266.imageshack.us/img266/6560/captureuf2.jpg

you're lucky it was only -13, i got to 14 power today :awesome:

legionaire45
March 24th, 2008, 09:06 PM
Love the theme song.
...Theme song? I'm not hearing anything.

EDIT: Slow fucker took a while to load. <3 Adblock plus <3.

Sel
March 24th, 2008, 09:07 PM
...Theme song? I'm not hearing anything.

It cycling between two songs, one of them is talking about a bad reputation, and I didnt listen to the other one :\

Who posted it?

Who cut it?

Its back, who posted it?

Ki11a_FTW
March 24th, 2008, 09:09 PM
:pervert::pervert::pervert::eekdance::hyper::hyper : THEME SONG IS AWESOME!!

Random
March 24th, 2008, 09:11 PM
It cycling between two songs, one of them is talking about a bad reputation, and I didnt listen to the other one :\

Who posted it?

Go find who by quoting them.

Sel
March 24th, 2008, 09:12 PM
Rep really doesn't mean much. Yah its nice that you get input on your posts from others, but really its no big deal.

Twas you.

Mr Buckshot
March 24th, 2008, 09:13 PM
Bragging about the amount of rep you have is like bragging about having a score on a test that's only a little bit higher than the class average.

However, there's a positive correlation between the amount of rep a user has and the amount of trust/respect he receives from others. Generally speaking, we prefer to listen to the advice from the guy with 5 green bars, not the advice from the guy with a red bar. The red-bar guy's advice might actually be better, but that's just the way it is.

I like the rep system. But I don't like users who take it very very seriously. I've been -repped many times before, and I don't care, unless the comment given in the -rep was over the top (i.e. willful racist remarks). If you -rep me and comment, "your post sucks" or "bullshit", I couldn't care less. If you -rep me and comment "fucking Chinese inferior douchebag" or "go do your mom" or something, I'm going to get very angry.

By the way, as for anyone who has a red reputation bar, I can only say one thing: You got that bar for a reason. Either remedy your behavior or GTFO. I'm talking about people like TLSHunter, TerrorNoMore, Steva, etc.

There's been a thread about this before, so someone lock this before it turns into a flame fest.

Ki11a_FTW
March 24th, 2008, 09:13 PM
Random, you sir, are awesome

E: Also, i like the reputation system, usually, i cant remember the last time i got a -rep that said something like Buckshot said, but i do get some -reps here and there for stupid things, for the most part it seems pretty fair to me, you know , you do something idiotic, and you get -repped for it, so what, you probably deserve it..

Random
March 24th, 2008, 09:17 PM
I didn't mean actually quote me. That makes everything sound horrible.

Sel
March 24th, 2008, 09:18 PM
I didn't mean actually quote me. That makes everything sound horrible.

That might have had to do with me copying the code 5 times.

I think it sounds better now :D

Botolf
March 24th, 2008, 09:22 PM
Rep is like a dog, pet it, feed it, and it'll love you forever, but poke him with your foot when it's trying to sleep, and Rover'll wake up with incurable bloodlust.

Flyboy
March 24th, 2008, 09:26 PM
So random, in the past twenty minutes, I'm guessing you got, eh, 7 points. Thats more than I make in say a week (lol, salary). Rep circle much? Feels kind of like everyone with the large amount of rep is stroking everyone else with a large amount of rep, causing a rep hyper drive that defies the laws of physics.

(Not a personal attack on random though I know that it will be interpreted that way, so I might as well be asking for my bar to go red.)

Limited
March 24th, 2008, 09:28 PM
To me, reps just an indicator if some ones a real asshole, if its red, then their likely to be one, if its green its likely they're not. As for how many greens, I like looking at all the green bars :)

I usually +rep the people who +rep me first, to thank them for being arsed to rep me. -Rep, well Emmzee left me some note too nice but I take as a pinch of salt.

Random
March 24th, 2008, 09:32 PM
So random, in the past twenty minutes, I'm guessing you got, eh, 7 points. Thats more than I make in say a week (lol, salary). Rep circle much? Feels kind of like everyone with the large amount of rep is stroking everyone else with a large amount of rep, causing a rep hyper drive that defies the laws of physics.

(Not a personal attack on random though I know that it will be interpreted that way, so I might as well be asking for my bar to go red.)

Actually I got 0 rep out of that :)

Monopoly
March 24th, 2008, 09:33 PM
What's rep?

Flyboy
March 24th, 2008, 09:35 PM
Actually I got 0 rep out of that :)
Yet do you understand my point?

Con
March 24th, 2008, 09:39 PM
Feels kind of like everyone with the large amount of rep is stroking everyone else with a large amount of rep, causing a rep hyper drive that defies the laws of physics.
If you want to hear from me, my rep circling is very minimal :eyesroll:

I only ask for rep when I'm close to getting my next block, although that doesn't matter anymore because I'm at the limit for green boxes (although the rep can keep going up). Jfap needs to give us gold blocks or something.

Ki11a_FTW
March 24th, 2008, 09:40 PM
curse this 24 hour rep brake!:smithicide:

Random
March 24th, 2008, 09:42 PM
What's rep?

hf o/
width=435 height=100

adumass
March 24th, 2008, 09:44 PM
Lets all go around -repping people with big green bars, then they will -rep us back. Then there will be a rep war. All rep problems will be solved by this rep war.. probably.

Con
March 24th, 2008, 09:45 PM
That one sucks, put on the other one, Random.

Gamerkd16
March 24th, 2008, 09:45 PM
The rep system would not be flawed if people used it correctly. You see people negative repping just because they hate you. Not because of the post that you made. Luckily, some of those people are banned now. :) But still, if everyone had the same repping power (1 point only), everything would be fine. You have these guys who have like 100 rep and are able to negative rep 6 points at a time. Then they abuse their power, not all, some, and ruin everyone else whenever they like. This is the flaw. Give the high powers one point too. That way they can't kill the small guys just because they don't like them for an unjust reason.

"Your signature sucks. -10 for you!"
"I hate your name. -6 for you!"

It's ridiculous at times. Some people negative rep you back just because of a conversation you had in a PM. That has nothing to do with the forums. It's a private matter. It shouldn't be reflected on your profile.

Monopoly
March 24th, 2008, 09:46 PM
I just found rep kIq0BqlUhYg

Ballin

SnaFuBAR
March 24th, 2008, 09:46 PM
oh here he goes again. ever since you came here you've been like "baawwwwwww rep bawwwwww :cry:"

rep is just a shortcut for me to tell people what i think without wasting my freakin PM space.

Con
March 24th, 2008, 09:47 PM

It's ridiculous at times. Some people negative rep you back just because of a conversation you had in a PM. That has nothing to do with the forums. It's a private matter. It shouldn't be reflected on your profile.
That's why I said it's rep abuse and you should report the person and have your rep fixed :\

Gamerkd16
March 24th, 2008, 09:49 PM
That's why I said it's rep abuse and you should report the person and have your rep fixed :\
That depends. What if the person abusing the rep is a moderator or a friend of a moderator? They just ignore you, call you an idiot because they are the ones doing it, and then negative rep you some more. It's frustrating.

Ki11a_FTW
March 24th, 2008, 09:50 PM
i wonder what the max rep limit is

http://img248.imageshack.us/img248/122/ircoolnl2.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
oh ya i r cool

WHOSE THE GOD OF REP NOW CONSCARS

Gamerkd16
March 24th, 2008, 09:51 PM
i wonder what the max rep limit is

http://img248.imageshack.us/img248/122/ircoolnl2.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
oh ya i r cool

WHOSE THE GOD OF REP NOW CONSCARS
Or someone who knows how to use Photoshop.

Flyboy
March 24th, 2008, 09:55 PM
oh here he goes again.
:smithicide:Seriously, I'm crushed.

Obviously discussing my opinion on a matter in a topic which was originally created for that purpose makes me both a fool, an ass, a blithering idiot and ignorant (possibly on that remark, but the point behind wasn't just some stupid asshole remark). I love how I'm always viewed as the guy taking the offensive.

I beg of you Snaf, don't turn this into a shit fest. -_-

SnaFuBAR
March 24th, 2008, 09:57 PM
stating my opinion of how you react to every thread about rep is turning it into a shit fest? if you say so. but hey, i'm not going to start an argument with you about it.

Ki11a_FTW
March 24th, 2008, 10:01 PM
i see frain has ditched this thread :raise:

width=435 height=100

Con
March 24th, 2008, 10:04 PM
What's sad is that people -repped him for making it. There's nothing wrong with this thread or him making it.

Monopoly
March 24th, 2008, 10:04 PM
Or maybe he has a life outside of the forum and isn't on 24/7 to see all the postshttp://www.h2vista.net/forums/h2images/smilies/extra/raise.gif

But this is highly unlikely of a person complaining about rep.

Flyboy
March 24th, 2008, 10:07 PM
What's sad is that people -repped him for making it. There's nothing wrong with this thread or him making it.
Oh so true.

Gamerkd16
March 24th, 2008, 10:10 PM
Ya see, Conscars is an understanding person who knows how to use this system responsibly.

FlamingRain presented this thread is a very organized way with no bitching or screaming like others would. To be negative repped for this would be silly. This is the kind of abuse I was talking about. The problem with giving everyone repping power is the fact that the ignorant idiots on the forums also get it. :p

SnaFuBAR
March 24th, 2008, 10:15 PM
Oh so true.
what the hell we agree??

Gamerkd16
March 24th, 2008, 10:18 PM
what the hell we agree??
Never thought I'd see that....:eek:

Jay2645
March 24th, 2008, 10:23 PM
oh like this?
http://img266.imageshack.us/img266/6560/captureuf2.jpg

you're lucky it was only -13, i got to 14 power today :awesome:
I demand a reprice on my soul. You don't get to keep it, you know.

Gamerkd16
March 24th, 2008, 10:26 PM
Where did this come from?

Ki11a_FTW
March 24th, 2008, 10:26 PM
noooo new page >_<
zeph edit: -snipped
Do not repeat embedded flashes based on your personal forum preferences for number of posts per page. There are many others that do not use the same as you.

:worship:

Con
March 24th, 2008, 10:29 PM
Oh so you want your soul back do you? No deal :). Maybe later.

Gamerkd16
March 24th, 2008, 10:31 PM
Please don't start the flashes. It's only a matter of time...

Jay2645
March 24th, 2008, 10:32 PM
Oh so you want your soul back do you? No deal :). Maybe later.
No, you just need to pay soul rent.

Ki11a_FTW
March 24th, 2008, 10:43 PM
Please don't start the flashes. It's only a matter of time...

dont make me get the screaming wolfs out here :haw:

FRain
March 24th, 2008, 10:44 PM
Personally, I think you are just all jackasses now because only the people with 34320943289473298473289473289473289479328478932748 9323 rep have their opinions count, and that nobody else has their opinion.

http://img72.imageshack.us/img72/6466/stupidshitlz4.jpg

See! All I wanted to know was what other people's opinions on the rep system was, but this is a shitfest, lock placed.

Zeph
March 25th, 2008, 11:47 AM
The rep system would not be flawed if people used it correctly. You see people negative repping just because they hate you. Not because of the post that you made. Luckily, some of those people are banned now. :) But still, if everyone had the same repping power (1 point only), everything would be fine. You have these guys who have like 100 rep and are able to negative rep 6 points at a time. Then they abuse their power, not all, some, and ruin everyone else whenever they like. This is the flaw. Give the high powers one point too. That way they can't kill the small guys just because they don't like them for an unjust reason.

This is a good example of why the rep system works and how misunderstood it is. Reputation is relative to ALL members in the database. It is used to show not just what everyone thinks of a specific user's, but what groups think of specific users and how social people are amongst those groups. Reputation was never designed to be a way for someone to judge someone else based on the individual post before them on a case for case basis.

http://www.h2vista.net/forums/memberlist.php?&order=DESC&sort=reputation&pp=50

If you look at that, you can see the top ten people based on reputation all have over 1200. Well, except for me because Korn -repped me down to 1195 for changing one of his thread titles making him look extremely gay. The 20 users below that end up filling the range of 500 to >1200. Beyond that, 58 users fill up the 100-500 rep range. There are hundreds of active users with less than 100 rep.

Reputation isn't really about reputation. It's more like being a spokesman for other people. If you give someone rep, you're saying "hey you can speak for me." Everyone reps Conscars. When he reps someone, he's not just giving rep from himself, but from everyone who has repped him in the past. If a new user comes in and does something Conscars doesn't like. He'll probably -rep him. When he does so, he's saying "everyone likes me and I dont like you, so everyone doesn't like you."

So people mitch, boan, and complain about getting random bouts of -rep, you're doing it wrong.