View Full Version : [map] Desolate Keep by Dontu

UXB
March 28th, 2008, 12:42 PM
Halo CE Maps: Desolate Keep

http://hce.halomaps.org/images/files/lg/15screenshot00-57.jpg
http://hce.halomaps.org/images/files/lg/Untitled-1-1.jpg

Title: Desolate Keep
Author: Dontu
Description: A desolate Forerunner outpost located in the desert cliffs of Installation 05

File Name: desolate_keep.zip
Media Type: http://hce.halomaps.org/images/icons/zip.gif Zip
Size: 9.4M Date: 03/27/08
Map Size: Medium
User Rating: pending

File Notes

Recommendation:
The map is a medium sized map that is best played with 4-8 players. In addition every power location on the map has 3 or more paths of access, making the key locations on the map difficult, but crucial to keep, as they provide the best sight lines into the sniper towers and the bases. The map supports all gametypes except race. The recommended gametypes are FFA or CTF.

You can see 22 more screenshots of the level in the Halo Maps account at the PC Game Shots website http://www.pcgameshots.com/?user=HaloMaps

beele
March 28th, 2008, 01:25 PM
Model looks good, but looks a bit boring texture wise.

Sel
March 28th, 2008, 07:32 PM
Its a very nice map, if dontu was here, Id +rep him for it.

Too bad it wont be played because it doesnt have a custom weapons set :|

Dontu
March 28th, 2008, 07:40 PM
Suprise! There is one server that is currently running the map, but for some reason its only rockets CTF. btw thanks for the feedback. There are some easter eggs to be found : )

Sel
March 28th, 2008, 07:42 PM
Suprise! There is one server that is currently running the map, but for some reason its only rockets CTF. btw thanks for the feedback. There are some easter eggs to be found : )

Oh, now you show up, and Ive given out too much rep today D:

Arteen
March 28th, 2008, 08:12 PM
The model looks good, along with the layout, but the rest needs work. You need much more variation in the textures, lighting, and scenery. Those floor tiles really shouldn't be on the walls. Aesthetics go a long way towards making a map appealing.

Sel
March 28th, 2008, 08:15 PM
I find halo 2s yellow structures really displeasing, itd be nice if you went for the halo 1 or halo 3 look, halo 2s structures really displease me D:

Sever
March 28th, 2008, 08:37 PM
First off, the layout is very basic and straightforward (albeit uninteresting and lacking in strategic layout, in my opinion), so I guess it works. I've got a few specific pointers though.
- Generate a higher risk for players trying to get the Rocket Launcher, since it definitely can own on a map like this. Put it in a waist-high trench or a thin catwalk.
- Do something more with the Flamethrower hallway. Right now, its just a u-connector with a weapon spawn.
- Fix the ladders. They are nearly impossible to fully ascend.
- Retexture the whole thing better - cliffs and hills included.
- Give some landmarks. People always love referenceable scenery and locations.

Dontu
March 29th, 2008, 12:30 AM
The ladders are definetly a large problem with the map. Are there any tips for making easily climbable ladders or should I use air lifts?

Sever
March 29th, 2008, 06:08 AM
Do NOT use any kind of lifts, since they don't work online. Just look at other maps with ladders to see how its properly done. I think the HEK Tutorial even has a ladder or two in it.

CrAsHOvErRide
March 29th, 2008, 06:36 AM
Textures are a bit bland but overall quite nice modeling. Don't use air lifts...they really fucked up that part of the engine. ;)

OmegaDragon
March 29th, 2008, 11:23 AM
Work on the textures, otherwise it looks good gameplay/model wise.

SgtBotley
March 29th, 2008, 12:11 PM
why not implement an Ivory Tower style animated lift,

p.s dont fong me for not knowing what may be obvious for some, im a noob.

Apoc4lypse
March 29th, 2008, 03:18 PM
why not implement an Ivory Tower style animated lift,

p.s dont fong me for not knowing what may be obvious for some, im a noob.

meh again wouldn't work too well...

If you really can't just use ladders, the next best thing for "quick lifting" people would be gravity style lifts... but they tend to lag horridly.

They do however work in some instances quite well, if properly made. Just don't plan on following someone up a gravity lift and plan to be able to shoot at him and kill him while hes in the gravity lift (similar things have happened in halo 2 gravity lifts), unfortunately people warp around too much in halo 1 with the current "gravity lift" method we use.

Currently made using "forces" similar to the forces experienced from explosions, but with out the damages, although I'm, sure u prolly knew this already.

Also, you could go the route of using teleporters... just to make life easy heh.

SgtBotley
March 29th, 2008, 04:31 PM
i suggested an animated scenery object as i thought it was discussed that grav lifts dont sync online and the no damage explosion method is too unreliable.

i think an aztec-y style 'Ivory Tower' lift would work well if done right, aslong as it was a continious stream of lifts that is.