PDA

View Full Version : College thread

Random
March 28th, 2008, 09:40 PM
Where have you gotten into and what do you want to major in.

Johns Hopkins
Syracuse
Pitt

wait listed at Northwestern

I am looking at an Engineering major.

cheezdue
March 28th, 2008, 09:44 PM
I still got a while to get to college. But im undecisive to what college to go to. I wanna major in game and level design

thehoodedsmack
March 28th, 2008, 09:53 PM
I still got a while to get to college. But im undecisive to what college to go to. I wanna major in game and level design

I don't think you'll find something like that at your typical college. I'm attending the University of Waterloo, majoring in Legal Studies. Didn't we have a thread like this at one point?

Gamerkd16
March 28th, 2008, 10:03 PM
Yes. I believe we did. It seems like a new one is made each time around the end of the second semester.

I'm majoring right now in Computer Science.

n00b1n8R
March 28th, 2008, 10:19 PM
Why do americans end the school year halfway through the year?

Bodzilla
March 28th, 2008, 10:30 PM
same reason they use imperial instead of metric.

paladin
March 28th, 2008, 10:40 PM
I go to Washington State University, when I was applying I applied to:

University of Washington: accepted
Western Washington University: denied
UCLA: accepted if played sport
Perdue University: accepted
Bosie Sate University: accepted
Seattle University: accepted if played sport

I plan on applying to Boston School of Architecture for my Master of Architecture in two years.

n00b1n8R
March 28th, 2008, 10:56 PM
same reason they use imperial instead of metric.

:v

PenGuin1362
March 28th, 2008, 11:03 PM

because we mother fucking can. shut up. lash of anger, nothing personal >_>

I applied for 3 got into 2. Going to Champlain for game art design.

Was accepted to Art Institute of Ft. Lauderdale on the spot but I didn't like the restrictions cause it's not a traditional college. Applied for University of Central Florida back in October....have yet to get a response...faggots.

Tweek
March 29th, 2008, 05:16 AM
schools for gamedesign are bullshit, i went to 3 different ones, and they were all total bullshit, teachers being idiots, and not aving a clue what they're talking about, resulting in me correcting them on 90% they said, etc etc.

i gave up on going to school for that shit. personal experience outweighs any of those swats of paper in "this" industry

cheezdue
March 29th, 2008, 09:26 AM
schools for gamedesign are bullshit, i went to 3 different ones, and they were all total bullshit, teachers being idiots, and not aving a clue what they're talking about, resulting in me correcting them on 90% they said, etc etc.

i gave up on going to school for that shit. personal experience outweighs any of those swats of paper in "this" industry

Wow really? I was hoping i could go to a good college for game design.

Bodzilla
March 29th, 2008, 09:35 AM
Game design i'd think would be like the English side of academics for games. No real set foundations/ check lists or right or wrong answer.

it's be more about how well you could talk out your ass and get other people to believe the bullshit your sprouting.
Just a hunch.

Arteen
March 29th, 2008, 10:13 AM
I am looking at an Engineering major.
Engineering in general, or are you considering something more specific?

Monopoly
March 29th, 2008, 11:10 AM

To be honest, it's portfolio first then resume :cool: And school for game design is automatically going to be bad, they have NO clue what they're fucking talking about. If you're going to be a 3d artist mine as well know the whole shibbang, modeling/animation/texturing etc.

PenGuin1362
March 29th, 2008, 11:11 AM
Game design i'd think would be like the English side of academics for games. No real set foundations/ check lists or right or wrong answer.

it's be more about how well you could talk out your ass and get other people to believe the bullshit your sprouting.
Just a hunch.

After looking at a few different colleges, what I gathered from it was they basically teach you the basics for everything and get you introduced to different things. It's up to you to perfect your skill.

However at the Art Institute of Ft. Lauderdale, they actually had a great program. The head of the program has worked for a few game companies himself, and now owns his own animation business. Not to mention he's like in love with gears of war >_>

Monopoly
March 29th, 2008, 11:13 AM
For game design really you can be uneducated. It's just that companies will look down upon you even if you're giving the job 120% because you don't have a university back down. They do things such as holding you down to one project, setting a pay limit when you can easily get much more, but since you don't have a degree behind your name (even if you're the best) they'll still hold out. Example, Bioware :smith:

Btw, they're looking for Lead Tech artist's, but it requires you to know unreal engine 3 like that back of your ass. Also, they'll be taking on apprentices soon :)

Mr Buckshot
March 29th, 2008, 11:22 AM
Applying next year (in 11th grade aka IB year One). UBC (University of British Columbia) will be my fallback option. I'm aiming for medical sciences so I won't be going to any of those game design polytechnics like BCIT since they don't match with my goals.

I'd very much like to get into the University of Toronto and see one of the most important Canadian cities for myself. I'll probably try my hand at those top-level American universities like Harvard and Stanford and Yale, but even if I get in I may not want to return to live in the U.S. again for various reasons. I won't even bother trying for Oxford or Cambridge since it's going to be quite costly to just move to the U.K. to study, awesome as it is.

If I end up getting rejected from UBC, I think I'll commit suicide, because then I'll have suffered through IB in high school for nothing, but there's a 90% acceptance rate for IB students to any university so that's not too bad.

Monopoly
March 29th, 2008, 11:25 AM
You could always push off some freelance game work while being a doctor :P

Limited
March 29th, 2008, 11:28 AM
Studying Computer Games Development.

Plus side of getting a degree in it over than just having the skills?
1. You get BSc after your name :D
2. Actual industry standard qualification
3. Partying :D

In theory, you dont need to go to college/uni to get a degree to work in a game company, its definitly a plus, but not a requirement, if you have amazing skills in what you do and no qualification, you can still get the job as long as you have their requirements etc, a good thing about Uni/College is it shows you have commitment into the work, your willing to spend 3 years doing it, so its definitly just a fad you have. Its also good because you work on your portfolio while learning.

I applied for one university and one course, only because I am not really happy living any where else, the place I do live, is far away enough from home to feel like I've moved away and started my life, but its also relatively close so I can go on the train back home like 5 times a year.

Llama Juice
March 29th, 2008, 11:29 AM
Full Sail in Orlando
Computer Animation major.

as much of the stuff seems irrelevant, it is all about knowing your shit and they really hound on you to learn the program.

It's crazy how good some of these kids get in just six months of working with Maya

Zeph
March 29th, 2008, 11:31 AM

Because we use to have to use all of our family to grow and harvest our food. We went to school when we were done harvesting and ended school when we needed to get our asses out there and plant shit.

East Tennessee State University
Digital Media with a concentration in interaction.

Limited
March 29th, 2008, 11:36 AM
Because we use to have to use all of our family to grow and harvest our food. We went to school when we were done harvesting and ended school when we needed to get our asses out there and plant shit.

East Tennessee State University
Digital Media with a concentration in interaction.
Ah, never knew the actual reason. I always though because its sunniest the most at the summer break (unless your in southern hemisphere) and they thought "why not".

England schools finish at around July, and start up at September.

Zeph
March 29th, 2008, 11:44 AM
To be honest, it's portfolio first then resume :cool: And school for game design is automatically going to be bad, they have NO clue what they're fucking talking about.

I dont know how much I can stress this and why many of you who go to a school for "game design" aren't getting your money's worth. 'Knowing the programs' and 'knowing the enginge' isn't even close to what you need to do in order to become successful in producing game content. You need to have a strong art background in 2-D design, 3-D design, and color theory to understand not only how to get things to look good but WHY. If you dont understand why people perceive things as looking nice, you're going to waste soo much time trying to get something to look good and you WILL NOT improve until you can do so.

Also, what does a degree in game design get you? Lets say ten years down the road you get totally burned out of game development and look for another job. Surely you're not going to apply for a job requiring an artistic portfolio, so you're just going to have a resume. Your potential employers are going to see you've been playing games all your professional life and somehow have a degree in it. (Yes this is a true story, my professor heard it happened to multiple people while he was at GDC this year.)

JunkfoodMan
March 29th, 2008, 04:52 PM
I applied for one university and one course, only because I am not really happy living any where else, the place I do live, is far away enough from home to feel like I've moved away and started my life, but its also relatively close so I can go on the train back home like 5 times a year.

What University did you apply to?

Monopoly
March 29th, 2008, 05:31 PM
When I said portfolio first, then resume I was speaking for what game companies are really looking for. Also, a degree in game design sounds like a waste. A person with a good grasp on multiple 3d applications, 2d art techniques etc can easily land a job doing many things; just don't limit yourself to just one thing.

Limited
March 29th, 2008, 05:45 PM
When I said portfolio first, then resume I was speaking for what game companies are really looking for. Also, a degree in game design sounds like a waste. A person with a good grasp on multiple 3d applications, 2d art techniques etc can easily land a job doing many things; just don't limit yourself to just one thing.
Like Zeph said, just having a good grasp wont cut it. You can end up with good results, but you need to know why it worked well, and how it can be improved upon, and MANY more things.

Not telling junkfoodman :D (One in Soton)

Monopoly
March 29th, 2008, 05:47 PM
It cut it for me.

Limited
March 29th, 2008, 05:50 PM
It cut it for me.
Fair enough.

1. Whats your job
2. Whats your earnings (Dont have to say, I'm just saying is it 10k+)
3. What are your career prospects

fatso784
March 29th, 2008, 05:55 PM
I hope to get into McGill University in Montreal for a major in Art. Art is very flexible; it leaves my job options wide open.

Atty
March 31st, 2008, 12:37 AM
I could go anywhere but due to family concerns, I'll be at my local community college...at least for my associates.

Random
April 2nd, 2008, 07:45 PM
Engineering in general, or are you considering something more specific?

Possibly computer engineering, but I am willing to change if its not for me.

And maybe a minor/ double major in computer science if I feel like dual majoring