PDA

View Full Version : Bad graphics. Great PC. Question.

genfuyung
February 2nd, 2007, 12:00 AM
Halo looks muddled and jaggy on my comp. I have a barand new dell e1750 inspiron laptop dual core 2.0 processor and 2 gigs of ram. What are the best settings for the video options?

Mr Buckshot
February 2nd, 2007, 12:05 AM
What is the video card make? If not, we can't help you.

To check your video card, right click on the "My Computer" icon on your desktop. Click on "Properties." Click on the "Hardware" tab. Go to "Device Manager." Click on the "+" sign next to "Display Adapters." Then tell us what you see.

If Halo is running at a lower resolution than your computer screen's native resolution, you need to raise the resolution OR run the game in a window, which you do by adding " -window" to the tagline of the Halo desktop shortcut.

legionaire45
February 2nd, 2007, 12:05 AM
depends on your monitor's screen resolution. Basically go to settings->video settings in Halo and then turn all the options you see to "on" and "high". Then for resolution turn it as high as it will go on your system. A system like that should play Halo reasonably well at high settings unless it has integrated graphics.

rossmum
February 2nd, 2007, 12:23 AM
Muddled and jaggy? Got the latest drivers?

genfuyung
February 2nd, 2007, 12:28 AM
What is the video card make? If not, we can't help you.

To check your video card, right click on the "My Computer" icon on your desktop. Click on "Properties." Click on the "Hardware" tab. Go to "Device Manager." Click on the "+" sign next to "Display Adapters." Then tell us what you see.

If Halo is running at a lower resolution than your computer screen's native resolution, you need to raise the resolution OR run the game in a window, which you do by adding " -window" to the tagline of the Halo desktop shortcut.

Nvidia Geforce Go 7800

resolution is 1440 by 900

Muddled and jaggy? Got the latest drivers?

no idea

i have the latest drviers according 2 hardware wizard

rossmum
February 2nd, 2007, 12:37 AM
Forum tip - http://h2vista.net/forums/h2images/buttons/edit.gif is your friend.

Maybe download the latest drivers for your video card and install just to be sure... in what sense is it jaggy? Can you post a screenshot?

WhÎþLå§h ÐÆmØÑ
February 2nd, 2007, 12:39 AM
There, do not double, triple, or quadruple post like that. There is an edit button. I took the liberty and merged the posts.

You also need to cool down on making the threads, you have been making to many.

genfuyung
February 2nd, 2007, 12:47 AM
There, do not double, triple, or quadruple post like that. There is an edit button. I took the liberty and merged the posts.

You also need to cool down on making the threads, you have been making to many.

well i do apologize for the quad post. but as far as making a lot of threads. i just got the game and therefore have questions. Im in no way spamming or anyhting like that.

No idea how to tkae a screen shot. ALL edges are jaggy though. especially the guns and sides of hills and buildings liek in blood gulch.

WhÎþLå§h ÐÆmØÑ
February 2nd, 2007, 12:49 AM
Well, try and limit to how many threads you make in a given amount of time. Try and put them in one thread too.

genfuyung
February 2nd, 2007, 12:52 AM
Well, try and limit to how many threads you make in a given amount of time. Try and put them in one thread too.

Ok. I thought if i asked to many questions in one thread I would be told to make threads for each question. Ive been told that on other forums. But so far this is the best forum so Ill start doing that.

rossmum
February 2nd, 2007, 01:07 AM
Screenshot = press print screen key, then paste into Paint/Photoshop/whatever. Save, upload to imageshack.us and post.

genfuyung
February 2nd, 2007, 01:16 AM
what a pain. anyways im just gonna assume my brand new pc cant run a couple year old game and buy it anyway.

legionaire45
February 2nd, 2007, 01:29 AM
what a pain. anyways im just gonna assume my brand new pc cant run a couple year old game and buy it anyway.

It looks icky, you probably just need to change some settings. Halo does not support Anti aliasing so it will have lot more jaggies. Also the image quality on Nvidia cards seems to be fail. there is a fix (http://gbxforums.gearboxsoftware.com/showthread.php?t=60814) though.

genfuyung
February 2nd, 2007, 01:47 AM
It looks icky, you probably just need to change some settings. Halo does not support Anti aliasing so it will have lot more jaggies. Also the image quality on Nvidia cards seems to be fail. there is a fix (http://gbxforums.gearboxsoftware.com/showthread.php?t=60814) though.
ah firefox says unable to connect to page. IE says cannot find server.

genfuyung
February 2nd, 2007, 02:34 AM
finally got to the site and that is just for some active camo glitch. my whole game is fugly

rossmum
February 2nd, 2007, 02:43 AM
Fugly as in weird colours, triangles or shapes all over the place where they shouldn't be?

If so, it's definitely your video card's drivers.

Bodzilla
February 2nd, 2007, 04:57 AM
dude we need a screen shot to understand wat your trying to explain.

Fugly just doesnt give us enough information to give u a proper answer. get a screenshot, upload it and ppl will be able to fix your problem

Reaper Man
February 2nd, 2007, 06:16 AM
Halo 1 does not support anti aliasing.

Limited
February 2nd, 2007, 07:55 AM
Halo 1 wont be any sexier with newer better pc's.

Halo 1 has always been kinda crappy looking due to the antoshperic thingy and no anti aliasing.

So yeah not much you can do.

Reaper Man
February 2nd, 2007, 07:57 AM
Anisotropic filtering. And you're wrong there, Halo 1 supports up to 8x anisotropic filtering.

Limited
February 2nd, 2007, 07:59 AM
I wouldnt say supports, more like accepts..

// UseAnisotropicFilter - For high end cards will use Anisotropic filtering instead of trilinear on environments

you cant set that to 6x...

Reaper Man
February 2nd, 2007, 08:12 AM
Have you tried using NVIDIA's drivers?

Limited
February 2nd, 2007, 08:46 AM
Have you tried using NVIDIA's drivers?
You mean where you set it per application? Um that isnt "supporting" Anisotropic and it doesnt work that way does it?

itszutak
February 2nd, 2007, 09:52 AM
It's worked in terms of AA in WoW, which dosn't support it as far as I know; I haven't tried antriscopic filtering in HPC or CE <_<

EDIT: But yeah. We do need screenshots to figure out your problem. <_<

genfuyung
February 2nd, 2007, 05:11 PM
Um a little while ago i was deleting stuff of off my pc and somehow i lost MS paint and wordpad. N e 1 know how to get it back? nvmnd picture coming soon

Pooky
February 2nd, 2007, 05:19 PM
Halo 1 does not support anti aliasing.

That's odd, cause I told my drivers to force 6x anti aliasing and I swear it worked...

rossmum
February 2nd, 2007, 05:22 PM
That's how Halo is supposed to look. An old game looks no better on a new PC.

genfuyung
February 2nd, 2007, 05:28 PM
for some god forsaken reason it wont upload as a full screen picturehttp://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b14/toasty3d/tehjagsreturn.jpg\http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b14/toasty3d/tehjags.jpg

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b14/toasty3d/tehjags.jpg

rossmum
February 2nd, 2007, 05:32 PM
Yeah... that's perfectly normal...

genfuyung
February 2nd, 2007, 05:35 PM
Yeah... that's perfectly normal...

My friends is perfect looking though. Oh well.

rossmum
February 2nd, 2007, 05:37 PM
Your friend's is perfect looking?

He must have played around with his video card settings like Reaper does, because that's about as good as Halo will get.

genfuyung
February 2nd, 2007, 05:41 PM
Your friend's is perfect looking?

He must have played around with his video card settings like Reaper does, because that's about as good as Halo will get.

alright

itszutak
February 2nd, 2007, 07:45 PM
About the antriscopic filtering...I only have choices of 2x, 4x, 8x, and 16x... How did you get 6x? <_<

Reaper Man
February 2nd, 2007, 09:06 PM
About the antriscopic filtering...I only have choices of 2x, 4x, 8x, and 16x... How did you get 6x? <_<
Oshi- whoops, I meant 8x...
I also use colour overlays to make halo look better. <3 Adobe RGB colour overlay.

Pooky
February 2nd, 2007, 09:57 PM
That's how Halo is supposed to look. An old game looks no better on a new PC.

What?

And yeah, I have no idea what the hell you're complaining about, your graphics look fine. If the edges are too jagged maybe up the resolution some.

Limited
February 2nd, 2007, 10:23 PM
Reaper wanna show us a picture of your halo? :D

Pooky
February 2nd, 2007, 11:10 PM

Halo? pfft

Check out my MARATHON

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v226/SA2/marathon.png

rossmum
February 2nd, 2007, 11:31 PM
I could never work out how to make Marathon work on my PC... :|

Pooky
February 2nd, 2007, 11:43 PM
http://source.bungie.org/get/

<3 Marathon

The multiplayer is pretty good Quake style action (as in nothing but the Rocket Launcher gets used... ever)

Mr Buckshot
February 3rd, 2007, 12:19 AM
Nvidia Geforce Go 7800

resolution is 1440 by 900

I believe your problem is that you're running Halo in a mode that fills the whole screen, which will "stretch" the game image (squares become rectangles, circles become ovals, etc).

My laptop is a widescreen too (1280x800) and if I run Halo such that it fills the entire screen, poof, everything is stretched, fattened, and fugly. Halo does not support widescreen natively. It will display the correct # of pixels (1440 horizontal, 900 vertical on your laptop) but the picture itself will still be stretched.

Your video card is SUPERB and totally owns mine, on both desktop and laptop. If my graphics card can run Halo on full settings with no less than 80 fps, yours can do way better.

There is a FOV (field of view) hack out there to run Halo in true widescreen (however the reticule is still stretched but who cares). Google it because I forgot the location.

p0lar_bear
February 3rd, 2007, 12:22 AM
Game models are fine. HUD and widget bitmaps will be stretched, as widescreen support wasn't really factored in. Not everyone could easily get a widescreen monitor back in 03.

Reaper Man
February 3rd, 2007, 02:13 AM
I couldn't figure out how to screencap with the colour overlay, so I attempted to recreate it in photoshop, it turned out reasonable, but slightly too dark. I also downsized the image for filesize, I actually run on 1280x1024.
Bold so that there are no misunderstandings.
http://img209.imageshack.us/img209/2083/1screenshot00ri6.jpg

rossmum
February 3rd, 2007, 04:37 AM
needz moar contrast

Just a little, though.

Pooky
February 3rd, 2007, 12:38 PM
lmao, that doesn't look any better than mine. I love old games where mid range hardware can do just as well if not better than brand new crap

4RT1LL3RY
February 3rd, 2007, 12:45 PM
I can tell that you are either running at 640x480 or 800x600. To get 'perfect' halo you just need to race the resolution.

Limited
February 3rd, 2007, 12:48 PM
I can tell that you are either running at 640x480 or 800x600. To get 'perfect' halo you just need to race the resolution.True, but having high res decreases your FPS