PDA

View Full Version : [UNREAL] 2008 UT3 Mod Contest Announced -- 1,000,000$ in Prizes

Phopojijo
April 3rd, 2008, 09:32 AM
http://www.makesomethingunreal.com/

Once again Epic Games is paying people to mod Unreal Tournament 3!

In this contest -- you can submit your work into any category (Best level, best mutator, best external development tool {WOTGreal will most likely win this one though}, etc.) in various phases.

Prizes will be given for {typically 1st, 2nd, 3rd place}.

The grand prize is a royalty-free Unreal Engine 3 license to make your very own marketable game off of.

Get moddin' folks! Phase 1 closes June 17th, 2008!

Remember -- it doesn't *have* to be a mod!

There are prizes for Machinima movies using Kismet and Matinee...

Likewise there are prizes for custom applications. Could be something like -- oh I don't know -- a Maya Hypershade to Unreal Material package exporter? UnrealScript IDE {Even though WOTGreal has that locked}?

Sel
April 3rd, 2008, 03:21 PM
Holy shit that is awesome.

Unfortunately I dont have UT3, otherwise Id jump right in.

Phopojijo
April 3rd, 2008, 03:32 PM
You could always pick it up o.o The collector's edition would be best because of 3dBuzz's tutorials... but the regular UT3 obviously comes with the editor as well.

That assumes you're serious about it.

sdavis117
April 3rd, 2008, 03:49 PM
Royalty free engine!?!?!?!

Count me in. I would love to make my own game. Royalty free too.

Phopojijo
April 3rd, 2008, 04:01 PM
Royalty free engine!?!?!?!

Count me in. I would love to make my own game. Royalty free too.Remember -- that's the *grand prize*

It's submission date is August 31st, 2009 -- and it's pretty much required to be a TC.

Ki11a_FTW
April 3rd, 2008, 04:52 PM
does it say anything about team mates, i didnt see that

DaneO'Roo
April 3rd, 2008, 05:01 PM
Oh fuck yeah. See, this is why epic is awesome.

Phopojijo
April 3rd, 2008, 05:11 PM
does it say anything about team mates, i didnt see thatTeams can be any size you wish... however only ONE person will claim the prize... it's up to your trust in him/her to distribute the earnings properly. That one person is the person who submits the mod.

You can also, last I heard, enter in as many sections as you wish and submit as much work as you care to do. From what I read though -- if you submit the same map in Phase 2, and 3, and 4 (or whatever) it needs to satisfy 2 conditions:

1) There needs to be a reasonable level of enhancement
2) Your entrance in the later phases forfeits your position in the earlier phases of the same category with the same mod. {Earlier phases have less prizes... however less entrants and less quality per entry as well... so the bar is lower}

DaneO'Roo
April 3rd, 2008, 06:37 PM
Well, I better start work on my family of characters :)

LlamaMaster
April 3rd, 2008, 07:23 PM
Ouch, this is harsh. Great time to have a computer that can't run UT3...

Zeph
April 3rd, 2008, 07:49 PM
Any idea on how the educational category will be judged?

Phopojijo
April 3rd, 2008, 07:57 PM
The educational category is open to any student or faculty member of any accredited school. This can be a high school, university, community college, etc. You don't have to build the mod on behalf of any official school project or function. You simply have to be an enrolled student or faculty member and submit a mod for the contest and the name of your institution. In order to be eligible in each category, the school will be required to verify your status and indicate that they would accept cash prizes, and allow us to use their name publicly when listing contest winners.Basically it's a mod as usual -- but the prize goes to the institution.

Ki11a_FTW
April 3rd, 2008, 10:19 PM
Ouch, this is harsh. Great time to have a computer that can't run UT3... or any other game in your case :awesome:

Phopojijo
February 15th, 2010, 10:48 AM
Well the contest is over (except for the Grand Finals and Educational categories) and the winners selected. Check 'em out at http://www.makesomethingunreal.com/phase4_winners.aspx

Phopojijo
February 21st, 2010, 08:18 PM
http://www.makesomethingunreal.com/final_winners.aspx

And here's the absolute final winners. It's ALLL over now.

Heathen
February 21st, 2010, 08:43 PM
Which version should I buy? I wont be creating anything for the game so I dont need any special tutorials or editor.

t3h m00kz
February 21st, 2010, 11:04 PM
Editor comes with it, as far as I know, regardless of what version you buy.

I'd say get the Unreal Pack from steam, but if you just want UT3 pick it up from wherever. It's cheap by now.

Heathen
February 22nd, 2010, 12:03 AM
Well the only one I see on steam is UT3 Black. Is that the same as plain ol' UT3?

Ifafudafi
February 22nd, 2010, 12:50 AM
Yep, just with the added Titan Pack (which was fairly light and free anyway) and complete Steam integration.

SiriusTexra
February 22nd, 2010, 07:50 AM
The Australian one really surprised me. The flat coloured one with the trippy effects. That could really be something.

Limited
February 22nd, 2010, 08:33 AM
So they only won $50,000 and the license thingy? Some one got bamboozled.

Llama Juice
February 22nd, 2010, 09:08 AM
You do realize how much a UE3 license is worth, right?

I can't find a solid number on it, but what I heard throughout college was that it's damn near a million dollars.

Warsaw
February 22nd, 2010, 08:24 PM
And you can go places with a UE license...look at Tripwire Interactive.

Phopojijo
February 23rd, 2010, 03:33 PM
You do realize how much a UE3 license is worth, right?

I can't find a solid number on it, but what I heard throughout college was that it's damn near a million dollars.... if you include royalty fees... that's a veryyy big lowball.

If you're modding and looking to make a TC... UT3 is probably not a good idea now that the UDK is around.