PDA

View Full Version : "Termites ate my life savings"

Emmzee
April 7th, 2008, 07:01 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/south_asia/7334033.stm?hungry

A trader in the Indian state of Bihar has lost his life savings after termites infesting his bank's safe deposit boxes ate them up.

Dwarika Prasad had deposited currency notes and investment papers worth hundreds of thousands of rupees in a bank safe in the state capital Patna.

The bank says it put up a notice warning customers of the termites.

Mr Prasad says he did not see it in time as he did not go to the bank for months after the notice went up.

Bank officials admit they did not inform the customers individually about the termite problem.

I'm no expert, but if you're handling valuable things that can be eaten by termites, you should probably invest in an exterminator.

Pooky
April 7th, 2008, 07:03 PM
'rupees'?

Emmzee
April 7th, 2008, 07:05 PM
'rupees'?
Rupees (रू) are the currency in India. रू100,000 = $2504 USD.

Amit
April 7th, 2008, 07:05 PM
'rupees'?

The currency from India/Legend of Zelda?

Con
April 7th, 2008, 07:08 PM
heh, how unlucky is that?

Phopojijo
April 7th, 2008, 07:10 PM
I think the big issue is:

If you're a bank... albeit -- true -- not a Western nation... but even still.

If you have termite problems... you might want to protect your customers by moving valuables off site.

That's the reason for a *safe* deposit box.

Btw -- how did the termites get IN to the safe deposit box? They're usually metal. And I somehow doubt it was climate controlled.

Amit
April 7th, 2008, 07:11 PM
heh, how unlucky is that?

That's one bullshit day. Also, that guy's name is scarily close to my dad's. For security reasons I will not say his name.

Pooky
April 7th, 2008, 07:12 PM
Guys my first name is Andrew please don't come to my house :saddowns:

Amit
April 7th, 2008, 07:17 PM
Guys my first name is Andrew please don't come to my house :saddowns:

You didn't know it's very easy to trace people over the internet with just their name? It is very unlikely but I'd rather not take an unnecessary chance.

Pooky
April 7th, 2008, 07:20 PM
How are you going to trace somebody by their first name. Unless you're the only person in a large area with a particular name, which is highly unlikely. Hell, there are like 3 Andrews in most of my classes.

Phopojijo
April 7th, 2008, 07:21 PM
How are you going to trace somebody by their first name.It's possible... it's definitely possible.

Pooky
April 7th, 2008, 07:22 PM
I guess if you were really determined, but I don't have shit and don't go making enemies, so I don't see where anyone would have a good reason to sort me out from the hundreds of other people with identical names.

Amit
April 7th, 2008, 07:25 PM
How are you going to trace somebody by their first name. Unless you're the only person in a large area with a particular name, which is highly unlikely. Hell, there are like 3 Andrews in most of my classes.

That's the thing, though. You fail to realize that I didn't specify that it was just his first name.

I guess if you were really determined, but I don't have shit and don't go making enemies, so I don't see where anyone would have a good reason to sort me out from the hundreds of other people with identical names.

You're probably a good person so you wouldn't but there are a lot of random people in this world. Not everyone is as nice as you or I.

Bodzilla
April 7th, 2008, 07:50 PM
It's possible... it's definitely possible.
it's doesnt chane the fact that it's stupid.

honestly what could we possibly want thats of value from a guy that we know nothing about
no bank details, we dont even know what they own.
there is no point.

ultama121
April 7th, 2008, 07:50 PM
This is horrible, I wonder how it would feel to wake up one day to see that termites have eaten your life savings. :(

Dr Nick
April 7th, 2008, 08:38 PM
Maybe he needs to save the princess. She could give him as many Rupees as he wants!

Phopojijo
April 7th, 2008, 08:46 PM
it's doesnt chane the fact that it's stupid.

honestly what could we possibly want thats of value from a guy that we know nothing about
no bank details, we dont even know what they own.
there is no point.Tell that to Anonymous

Some people out there (are/are either):
A -- Bored
B -- Insane

Will one of those people decide they'd like to know more about you?

I mean yes true there's managed risk... but if you and someone else disagree about where the line should be drawn between security and paranoia -- doesn't mean either of you are wrong.