PDA

View Full Version : Problem.

Bodzilla
April 7th, 2008, 08:10 PM
Why not add a gallery section where each person can have their own thread to post all their WIP's and get criticism on it? I personally liked the WIP section even though the majority of the posts were shit posts and +1 posts.

due to the massive influx of threads in said gallery section for each individual member, nobody would take the time to read it all and give you guys proper constructive critism.
the CE gallery thread was your Best option and u guys blew it.
the only other real alternative to that^ is what you guys had before.

i dont think you'll get another shot at it for a long, long time.
this is exactly whats going on.

in under a week we already have over 2 pages of threads because every man and his dog has their own gallery thread.
It's just turned into a clusterfuck and one of the gallery's biggest selling points (to provide criticism on people works to help them improve) is already becoming impossible.

with so many threads I dont see how people will get The info they need to help them.

the hole section needs to be dummed down into individual sections.
Musical, Photography, Modeling, Texturing and General art.

Emmzee
April 7th, 2008, 08:13 PM
Wrong forum. (http://www.modacity.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=82)

thehoodedsmack
April 7th, 2008, 08:18 PM
I agree. Criticism came better when it was all grouped together. Granted, now you can choose whose work you do and don't want to see, but that just keeps the unliked from getting any advice to get better.

Emmzee
April 7th, 2008, 08:22 PM
Subforums (hand-drawn art, models, photography, etc.) would be great. It would prevent such a flood of threads.

Bodzilla
April 7th, 2008, 08:23 PM
dammit, too much rep in the last 24 hours, sorry smack :/

also emmy shh you. i'm sick ok :(, completely forgot we had that section :\

look i can understand that people want to have their own little space on the forums for everything creative but it just does not work.

and seeing as we've got a massive influx with all these new sections to attract new users it will only get worse.
Having harsh, Firm but great criticism is what set this forum apart from the other Halo forums, and what helped this forum, the mappers and the artist to evolve and get better. It's too important to lose.

Timo
April 8th, 2008, 02:22 AM
Seperate forums in my opinion wouldn't work. Split up into WIP/Finished works might be better, but having a forum for each type of creative whatever would be too much. I say we leave the forums as it is for now, and if it starts to get cluttered, do something about it.

Bodzilla
April 8th, 2008, 02:55 AM
it's got 2 Pages of threads in two days.
@___@

Timo
April 8th, 2008, 05:19 AM
Well I would think that'd be expected considering that all the people that want to show their stuff will post it, since the other gallery thread is locked and going down the page lists. Give it time.

Zeph
April 8th, 2008, 08:21 AM
I dont understand what the problem is. There are only 7 WIP/Complete threads in the studio. Those are the ones you should be directing your critiques to and it's not that hard, seeing that you can control+f WIP. After looking through each WIP thread, I've seen that each one has had at least one person critiquing the work.

Right now, everyone is posting their life's work without giving much of a second thought on presentation or anything. That's why we've had such a rapid influx of threads to this section. When everyone exhausts their supply of art, which will be soon, posting in WIP threads will start to pick up. Even if it doesn't and for some only-known-to-God reason the gallery threads just keep on coming, we'd drop the WIP/Complete threads into their own boards.

Masterz1337
April 8th, 2008, 05:16 PM
I think Bods point is that we have alot of gallery threads, but people dont want to sift through them. With the old gallery thread, you could easily see what other people were doing each time you made a post to show off your own stuff.

Zeph
April 8th, 2008, 05:24 PM
What? You mean people would prefer having to sift through other's shit in a huge gallery thread rather than decide on what to look at based on who the author is? When did this change occur? Before this, all complaints about users posting work was based around bad people posting things or people posting bad things.

If you're wanting to keep up on the progress of an item, or more specifically the author is wanting to, then a [WIP] thread is needed.

Bodzilla
April 8th, 2008, 10:18 PM
What? You mean people would prefer having to sift through other's shit in a huge gallery thread rather than decide on what to look at based on who the author is? When did this change occur? Before this, all complaints about users posting work was based around bad people posting things or people posting bad things.

If you're wanting to keep up on the progress of an item, or more specifically the author is wanting to, then a [WIP] thread is needed.
But the cure is worse then the disease. The lesser known developing artists will be ignored because people would just rather see what Snaf, or con, or Dano is doing.

they wont Get the Amount of crit they got with the older system.

Zeph
April 8th, 2008, 11:02 PM
If they aren't willing to take the time to simply look at the thread, what makes you think they'd be willing to take the time to consider the artistic aspects of the work therein?

Con
April 9th, 2008, 08:06 PM
I expect it's going to slow down after people stop posting all their old work.

Bad Waffle
April 9th, 2008, 08:29 PM
But the cure is worse then the disease. The lesser known developing artists will be ignored because people would just rather see what Snaf, or con, or Dano is doing.

they wont Get the Amount of crit they got with the older system.

bodzilla, what you're saying is crazy--lesser artists wont get ignored, they have even MORE room for their own stuff. and two pages of threads in one day was a lot less that what i expected--its a lot more organized having each piece have its own thread instead of it all clumped into one thread, which is harder for moderators to clean in my opinion.

Emmzee
April 9th, 2008, 10:14 PM
I expect it's going to slow down after people stop posting all their old work.
This.