PDA

View Full Version : [UNREAL] Unreal Level creation.

johnnyblaz20
April 7th, 2008, 10:32 PM
I'm gonna give it a shot when i get home after i watch a couple tutorials.
I tried the other week and it gave me a headache because i could't control the editor, but i found a couple tuts.

My question is-is there any way to inport or export a bsp with the unreal engine?

MMFSdjw
April 7th, 2008, 10:46 PM
depends on what kind of bsp.
I don't know of a way to import brushes but brushes are not nessesary to make a level.

Phopojijo
April 7th, 2008, 10:58 PM
I'm working on Skyhook at the moment. It's got zero BSP... all static meshes (and non static meshes, of course :p)

You import it by going into your "Generic Browser" (where all materials, meshes, etc are kept) and clicking file -> import.

It looks for static meshes in ASE format. If you have Max -- you can use the built-in export command.

If you have Maya -- you can pick up ActorX (http://udn.epicgames.com/Two/ActorX.html) and make an ASE file using the axmesh MEL command I believe.

**If you want to do animations in Max, you'll need ActorX too -- but not just for static meshes...**

Make sure to check out Hourence's Tutorial

http://hourences.com/book/tutorialsue3modeling1.htm

He explains how to use per-poly collision, and how to make your own collision models if you wish to not use per-poly. {He also explains with pictures how to import Static Meshes}

I don't think ANYTHING in UnrealEngine3 has any form of "sealed world rule" or anything stupid like that. Collision can have open edges, etc. If you see infinity -- you just see a Hall of Mirrors artifact -- whoopdie do.

Per-Poly collision is typically fine for testing purposes... and typically runs well enough even for some final builds. Making collision meshes with lower polycounts is always a smart idea though... no need to waste performance for nothing.

johnnyblaz20
April 8th, 2008, 12:24 AM
Thanks alot...

Right now most of that sounds like -boabiddy blaa blaa- to me but i'm sure i'll understand after i go through a few tuts.