PDA

View Full Version : Shark attack at Ballina.

Bodzilla
April 7th, 2008, 11:11 PM
theres a seaside town about an hours drive from where i live.
I've been there a lot of times over the years surfing and swimming but i havnt heard of a shark attack happening at Ballina.

The boy, from Wollongbar, west of Ballina, died after being bitten on the legs and body while bodyboarding with his friend at Ballina's popular Lighthouse Beach about 8am (AEST) today.

Surf Life Saving NSW spokesman Stephen Leahy said the friend had described the moments after the attack.

"One boy indicated to his mate that he was in trouble and his mate went over and as he approached him he saw the water was beginning to turn red," Mr Leahy said.

The boy went for help at a nearby beach tower, where lifeguards raised the alarm.

"The boy was dragged up out of the water and onto the sand, shortly after emergency services arrived, but there was nothing we could do to save that boy's life," Mr Leahy said.

He said the two bites caused massive blood loss.

Mr Leahy also indicated that the shark was very large.

The friend was later discharged from hospital but was suffering shock. Poor bastard, he was only 16 and my brother does ALOT Of body-boarding in the same areas up and down this coast.

by the looks of it the shark just got confused and thought he was another kind of animal, hence why it let him go, but the damage had been done.
It's just a shame that such a great fun sport makes you look exactly like a Seal or turtle to these ancient predators. Paddling at the sides on a board and wearing flippers.

But i'm more concerned for the after affects of this, there will be over-zealous freaks going out and trying to kill sharks now.
just a shame.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,,23504836-2702,00.html?from=public_rss

rossmum
April 8th, 2008, 04:01 AM
It's always shitty to hear about attacks, especially since the shark doesn't actually realise what it's doing half the time - it thinks it sees a turtle, it bites and finds out it's not a turtle, then goes off looking for a real turtle. By then, the damage has been done, and some poor bastard is either dead or very seriously wounded.

It's a shame when people go all vigilante on the sharks, but the dumbfucks can't tell a Great White from a Blue or Grey Nurse and so end up killing off rarer, less aggressive sorts.

Bodzilla
April 8th, 2008, 04:26 AM
they've had a look at the Teeth marks and found out it's from a Bull shark.

Number 1 most aggressive Shark in the world. They hunt ANYTHING, have a fucking mean set of teeth thats really jagged and serrated, hunt in murky water and can go Km's up Fresh water systems.
Nasty things Bull sharks. You'll never know it was there until it too late.

I cant believe they went out in the water at all. The beaches around here are absolutely terrible at the moment, theres massive amounts of mud and debri floating around from all the rain we've had, it was a small swell and had really choppy waves.
Chances are him and his mate would of debated about even going in for a swim, but decided to go ahead because they'd traveled for Half an hour to get there.

And yeah ross, Trust me i know about the Grey nurse's. Theres a Rock (it aint really an island) floating off of one of the beaches ( i think it's Coffs or byron) where theres a breeding ground for them. It's one of the few places they still are.

rossmum
April 8th, 2008, 04:29 AM
Yeah, my dad used to do a lot of diving and he'd play with them. Gentle creatures, but just because they got wrongly blamed for some attack a while back, there are almost none left anywhere around here.

DaneO'Roo
April 8th, 2008, 04:31 AM
What the fuck a bull shark?

Also, holy shit, I might have seen that guy before at wollongbar tafe o_O

*e*Wait, no, completely different looking.

Bodzilla
April 8th, 2008, 04:33 AM
Yeah, my dad used to do a lot of diving and he'd play with them. Gentle creatures, but just because they got wrongly blamed for some attack a while back, there are almost none left anywhere around here.
so did my dad

o/

rossmum
April 8th, 2008, 08:59 AM
\o.

Bit dicey going in the water in those conditions, though. I wouldn't even if I'd driven for that long D:

TeeKup
April 8th, 2008, 10:19 AM
There have actually been several Bull Shark incidents in the fresh water lakes that run up and down central North and South Carolina. I actually had a chance to see one myself, massive son of a bitch.

It's going to be hard for that family to move on, no one should ever have to bury their child.

rossmum
April 8th, 2008, 10:20 AM
Messy way to go, too. :gonk:

paladin
April 9th, 2008, 12:10 AM
Heard it on the news, that sucks.

SnaFuBAR
April 9th, 2008, 12:39 AM
my dad used to dive with bulls without a cage all the time. i accidentally free-dove with a great white, scared the living crap out of me...

bull sharks have the most testosterone of any living thing on the planet, which is what makes them the most aggressive.

Phopojijo
April 9th, 2008, 01:55 AM
Well that settles it...

Swim with a gun.

An underwater gun.

alby
April 9th, 2008, 02:04 AM
Heard it on the newsYeah me too.
Just don't shoot me if I want to taste your leg.

rossmum
April 9th, 2008, 04:28 AM
Well that settles it...

Swim with a gun.

An underwater gun.
http://world.guns.ru/assault/aps.jpg

?

leorimolo
April 9th, 2008, 10:08 AM
There was a crocodile attack down here (costa rica)on a surfer about an year ago. :eek:

ultama121
April 9th, 2008, 12:59 PM
This is very sad... it always is horrible to hear somebody die like this. :(

Corndogman
April 9th, 2008, 07:16 PM
Its Especially sad when the persons just a kid or a teenager. 6 years in a row now a student has died at my high school. just happened again last week. last year a good friend of mine was in a car accident with another student. the other student died in the accident, and my friend was fine. it scared the crap out of me when i heard the principle say their names during their announcement. we are cursed.