PDA

View Full Version : [COMPLETED] Color Theory

fatso784
April 11th, 2008, 05:20 PM
This piece was created because:
1 - I needed some basic training in Photoshop (this is my first digital painting)
2 - I wanted to try to use the entire color wheel and not deviate much from primary and secondary colors
3 - To practice Color Theory (the placement of colors on a canvas and how they relate to each other)

Anyway, it's not a very good piece, it was just a quick sketch that I used to practice Photoshopping.

http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/3096/paintestcopykg0.jpg

paladin
April 11th, 2008, 05:22 PM
Looks nice.

Ki11a_FTW
April 11th, 2008, 06:18 PM
i like it, except the legs look messed, the way shes standing

SnaFuBAR
April 11th, 2008, 06:37 PM
If you're really trying color theory, that's not how. all you're doing is picking colors and coloring in the spaces. What you need to do is study color mixing using a double primary palette, as well as learning how to understand complementary, split complementary, triad, analogous, double split, and tetrad colors, and then understand how these colors mix and react when lain over each other being semi-opaque. Then you need to get to know how colored light plays on surfaces, and how artificial and natural light cast shadows, etc.

P.S. Don't forget to have the tertiary colors as well

hint: photoshop won't teach you one ounce of color theory, it doesn't mix colors correctly in an overlay.

Bad Waffle
April 11th, 2008, 06:39 PM
If you're really trying color theory, that's not how. all you're doing is picking colors and coloring in the spaces. What you need to do is study color mixing using a double primary palette, as well as learning how to understand complementary, split complementary, triad, analogous, double split, and tetrad colors, and then understand how these colors mix and react when lain over each other being semi-opaque. Then you need to get to know how colored light plays on surfaces, and how artificial and natural light cast shadows, etc.

P.S. Don't forget to have the tertiary colors as well

hint: photoshop won't teach you one ounce of color theory, it doesn't mix colors correctly in an overlay.

What you should do with color study is use watercolor. Also, i can give you a few quick things so show some blending techniques in photoshop, although it wont be true color blending.

SnaFuBAR
April 11th, 2008, 06:43 PM
Don't give him anything about color blending in photoshop, he's just going to have to unlearn that crap when he does the real color blending. Also, I've found gauche paints to be far superior to watercolors for color blending, and painting in general, but they are also ridiculously more expensive, especially the cadmium paints X(

So yeah, since you're learning, pick up a color wheel and some watercolor paints and watercolor paper.

fatso784
April 11th, 2008, 07:13 PM
Thanks for the advice, Snafu. I have some old watercolors I used when I was like 8 or something, I'll dust 'em off and try and do something with them. I haven't painted in a long time, that's probably why I'm not used coloring in general, tbh I have only done pencil works over the past 3 years.

Bad Waffle
April 11th, 2008, 08:17 PM
Don't give him anything about color blending in photoshop, he's just going to have to unlearn that crap when he does the real color blending. Also, I've found gauche paints to be far superior to watercolors for color blending, and painting in general, but they are also ridiculously more expensive, especially the cadmium paints X(

So yeah, since you're learning, pick up a color wheel and some watercolor paints and watercolor paper.

oh yes, i forgot about guache. I love those paints. too bad im a cheapskate.

If you want any help regarding different color schemes etc, ask me or snaf.