PDA

View Full Version : Studio Question

Classicthunder
April 11th, 2008, 07:04 PM
I've really enjoyed the studio thread and there is a lot of talent. First that come to mind is Reaper, Timo, Ross, and Snaf. But I was wondering if it could be expanded to include programming for us less artistic types? I've made small games and apps that I would like to share and have critiqued.

thehoodedsmack
April 11th, 2008, 07:27 PM
You could probably just put that in Tech Talk or Off Topic.

fatso784
April 11th, 2008, 08:39 PM
That kindof stuff should be included in Studio. I dunno, its a hard call. If its really welldone, it should be considered art in its own right. After all, a gallery could include programming works. Its really up to discussion though.

SnaFuBAR
April 12th, 2008, 01:35 AM
programming is tech related. post in tech talk.

Kornman00
April 12th, 2008, 01:46 AM
programming is tech related. post in tech talk.
programming is still an art jarkass <:maddowns:>

Apoc4lypse
April 12th, 2008, 02:17 AM

art or not it cannot be judged using the common list of visual artistic principals and elements, its tech talk, or it deserves its own forum "programming" its a completely different topic all together, it shouldn't be judged visually, its judged by functionality. Currently the best place to put programming is "tech talk" because programming is related to it. It could how ever use its own individual forum where all the code jockeys (such as kornman) can discuss stuff strictly based around code, how ever I'd suggest having a programmer actually moderate this forum (so they can determine whats actually original code and whats not), and all the topics would need to be focused around code. (aka not some stupid vb project someone made with an interesting UI, that would be more of an artistic thing especially if you didn't code the ui but used vb or some other program to make it).

makes sense to me anyways... its really not a studio thing... unless the studio wants to be expanded to "creativity" not just artistic talents, in this case code can be considered creative, but then there would need to be another post type added perhaps "c" for code. The reason I said make another forum is because I've taken a class on some coding, and I know how complicated it can get (majority of everyone who is into studio art and doesn't take coding classes or hasn't taken the time to learn won't understand any of it), so it could probably do with its own forum, but thats really up to everyone to decide...

EDIT: kornman, anything can be considered an art, IE I'm learning the art of skateboarding :O)

i recognize that coding is an "art" but it's not a visual art.

He speaks the truth *dances*

:dance: see.... (this site needs a "salute smiley")

SnaFuBAR
April 12th, 2008, 02:20 AM

Patrickssj6
April 12th, 2008, 05:20 AM
What if we made a rendering engine?

I agree it doesn't fit into The Studio really but we could have a section for it...who knows some people need nifty tools. :P

Kornman00
April 12th, 2008, 07:21 AM
Fine, you want to argue semantics?

Literature is in the studio, yet it relies on a users imagination to produce any type of visuals from the details provided.

Music is in the studio, yet it uses the sense of sound to convey it's art. No visuals there, it's all up to the end user to create any kind of "visuals" they may wish.

Hmmmm, I wonder why they call themselves Bungie Studios? Oh right, because programming an engine is a part of producing (read: crafting) a game :downs:.

art or not it cannot be judged using the common list of artistic principals and elements:lol:, have you ever touched a single line of C++, Java, or any other useful (well, Java in the category can be debated :smirk: ) programming language?

Do you really except there to be a single set of principals to be used for all Arts? No, because they're all different. OF COURSE you wouldn't use the same "principals and elements" for "judging" music that you would for judging a horror story, a painting, or the fucking model of a sub-machine gun. They're all different forms of art!

Art (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/art).

1.the quality, production, expression, or realm, according to aesthetic principles, of what is beautiful, appealing, or of more than ordinary significance.
2.the class of objects subject to aesthetic criteria; works of art collectively, as paintings, sculptures, or drawings: a museum of art; an art collection.
3.a field, genre, or category of art: Dance is an art.
4.the fine arts collectively, often excluding architecture: art and architecture.
5.any field using the skills or techniques of art: advertising art; industrial art.
6.(in printed matter) illustrative or decorative material: Is there any art with the copy for this story?
7.the principles or methods governing any craft or branch of learning: the art of baking; the art of selling.
8.the craft or trade using these principles or methods.
9.skill in conducting any human activity: a master at the art of conversation.
10.a branch of learning or university study, esp. one of the fine arts or the humanities, as music, philosophy, or literature.
11.arts, a.(used with a singular verbhttp://cache.lexico.com/dictionary/graphics/luna/thinsp.png) the humanities: a college of arts and sciences. b.(used with a plural verbhttp://cache.lexico.com/dictionary/graphics/luna/thinsp.png) liberal arts. (http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=liberal%20arts)
12.skilled workmanship, execution, or agency, as distinguished from nature.
13.trickery; cunning: glib and devious art.
14.studied action; artificiality in behavior.
15.an artifice or artful device: the innumerable arts and wiles of politics.
16.Archaic. science, learning, or scholarship.
"skill in conducting any human activity" :downs:

How can a snippet of code be criticized? By evaluating the following (but not limited to):
Reusability: how pluggable is the code? Is it generic enough to support multiple actions?
Portability: Can the code work on multiple platforms, not to mention multiple compilers? What can one do to achieve this?
Abstraction: Could some code be further abstracted into less concrete layers? Would doing so be of any use? What kind of situations down the line could benefit from more abstractions to said code?
Style: not everyone codes the same, just as not everyone models the same. What kinds of styles can people comment on that they use as apposed to the OP's style?
Optimization: Maybe another user knows how to optimization a certain spec of code? Maybe another user knows a system\framework function that does a code that the OP has unintentionally reinvented?Don't trend waters that you can't swim in next time you ignorant baboons http://sa.tweek.us/emots/images/emot-colbert.gif

fatso784
April 12th, 2008, 08:34 AM
Kornman's right, if done properly, coding can definitely be an art form. It requires techniques and skills just like drawing and painting, and is just as hard if not harder.

Kornman00
April 12th, 2008, 08:44 AM
Yeah, I have to see people post their half arsed coding projects on various other forums just like you have to see people post their half arsed models Snaf :|. The only difference is I won't tell it to 'em like you do :lol: ;p

Apoc4lypse
April 12th, 2008, 11:00 AM
what korn said yikes spare me...

Anyway, I think there should be a pole on this... possibly create a new posting type for the studio forum "C" for code. Or, change the studio forum to be a section with sub forums (too broad of a name as its been pointed out that art includes many activities and skills not just visual arts) and instead add subsection forums to it. IE: "Visual arts" "Programming", maybe even "literature/creative writing", I'm sure theres probably more we could add to it too.

Llama Juice
April 12th, 2008, 11:02 AM
It's called "The Gallery"... I really don't see how posting a list of tools in their gallery is "harmful" (unless if the tool itself is harmful... but... shh)

I've interpreted The Gallery to be a section to show off any crap you've made. Fits well in my interpretation of it.

Kornman00
April 12th, 2008, 11:25 AM
It's called "The Gallery"... I really don't see how posting a list of tools in their gallery is "harmful" (unless if the tool itself is harmful... but... shh)

I've interpreted The Gallery to be a section to show off any crap you've made. Fits well in my interpretation of it.
No. Please get some glasses:

The Studio (http://www.modacity.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=86)
Off Topic for artists.

It's called "The Studio". NOT "The Gallery". Leave you're ignorance and closed minds at the door people :|.

Llama Juice
April 12th, 2008, 11:35 AM
I'm for your "cause" gallery / studio same difference.

Patrickssj6
April 12th, 2008, 11:50 AM
Don't be fucking German and just add it ffs

Apoc4lypse
April 12th, 2008, 11:51 AM
gallery is a place of viewing, and a studio is a place for people to work on and specialize in a certain type of art.

SnaFuBAR
April 12th, 2008, 12:16 PM
Yeah, I have to see people post their half arsed coding projects on various other forums just like you have to see people post their half arsed models Snaf :|. The only difference is I won't tell it to 'em like you do :lol: ;p
major ouchage there korn, you hurt mah feelings :(

p0lar_bear
April 13th, 2008, 04:02 AM
Go for it. I've seen this forum since its inception as a "post your works" forum.

Just as long as it isn't abstract as to what it is like a command-prompt program that converts god-knows-what into something with no visual output.

SnaFuBAR
April 13th, 2008, 04:20 AM
coding is computer science though :| if there's no visual or acoustic output, it's not art...

Kornman00
April 13th, 2008, 06:52 AM
neither does literature, and by the dictionary of the english language, you're definition fails faster than a rectangle shaped wheel, l2read you ignorant baboon http://sa.tweek.us/emots/images/emot-colbert.gif

Classicthunder
April 13th, 2008, 03:44 PM
Go for it. I've seen this forum since its inception as a "post your works" forum.

Just as long as it isn't abstract as to what it is like a command-prompt program that converts god-knows-what into something with no visual output.

Thanks Polar. It'll be a bit I need to clean them up and finals are eating up all of my time at the time being. And Snaf what do you think all of your models are? They are the out put of a computer program.

SnaFuBAR
April 13th, 2008, 04:10 PM
neither does literature, and by the dictionary of the english language, you're definition fails faster than a rectangle shaped wheel, l2read you ignorant baboon http://sa.tweek.us/emots/images/emot-colbert.gif
how is text not visual :v:

Kornman00
April 13th, 2008, 04:24 PM
funny, last I checked, source code is textual :downs:

SnaFuBAR
April 13th, 2008, 04:40 PM
ffs

Kornman00
April 13th, 2008, 04:43 PM
finger fucking sexy?

why, I didn't know you felt that way :v

SnaFuBAR
April 13th, 2008, 04:44 PM
how the hell are you so good at riddles? %-)

Bodzilla
April 14th, 2008, 02:06 AM
Fine, you want to argue semantics?

Literature is in the studio, yet it relies on a users imagination to produce any type of visuals from the details provided.

Music is in the studio, yet it uses the sense of sound to convey it's art. No visuals there, it's all up to the end user to create any kind of "visuals" they may wish.

Hmmmm, I wonder why they call themselves Bungie Studios? Oh right, because programming an engine is a part of producing (read: crafting) a game :downs:.

:lol:, have you ever touched a single line of C++, Java, or any other useful (well, Java in the category can be debated :smirk: ) programming language?

Do you really except there to be a single set of principals to be used for all Arts? No, because they're all different. OF COURSE you wouldn't use the same "principals and elements" for "judging" music that you would for judging a horror story, a painting, or the fucking model of a sub-machine gun. They're all different forms of art!

Art (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/art).

"skill in conducting any human activity" :downs:

How can a snippet of code be criticized? By evaluating the following (but not limited to):
Reusability: how pluggable is the code? Is it generic enough to support multiple actions?
Portability: Can the code work on multiple platforms, not to mention multiple compilers? What can one do to achieve this?
Abstraction: Could some code be further abstracted into less concrete layers? Would doing so be of any use? What kind of situations down the line could benefit from more abstractions to said code?
Style: not everyone codes the same, just as not everyone models the same. What kinds of styles can people comment on that they use as apposed to the OP's style?
Optimization: Maybe another user knows how to optimization a certain spec of code? Maybe another user knows a system\framework function that does a code that the OP has unintentionally reinvented?Don't trend waters that you can't swim in next time you ignorant baboons http://sa.tweek.us/emots/images/emot-colbert.gif
Holly fuck.

that was one hell of a sex-c Beat down.

will rep when i can.

SnaFuBAR
April 14th, 2008, 03:45 AM
i do love leading you into a rant, korn. that was fun ^__^

or as phopo would say.... o.o

though i do think such items deserve their own esteemed section, that would be pretty cool.

Bad Waffle
April 14th, 2008, 06:50 PM

snaf, you're a dumbas--*reads last post*

oh yea, you go and try and cover your tracks now, im watching you :beating:

SnaFuBAR
April 14th, 2008, 06:55 PM
oh nice, korn's last post as well as mine was deleted.

Korn: :rant emote:
SnaF: XD