PDA

View Full Version : So I made some textures...

DaneO'Roo
February 7th, 2007, 06:04 PM
Well, as most of you know I Like to draw pretty pictures, and I just recently tried my hand at a couple of forerunner styled textures. Some may seem to be bridging a line between forerunner and covenant, But I was sorta going for that aspect.

Note: I suck at modelling, this isn't a map, I just applied my textures and some really crappy bumps to some planes in Maya, and rendered them, default settings (im lazy tbh). I would have just posted the textures, but then people would copy the jpegs, wouldn't they ;)

They look very clean here, but are actually quite textured, just my sucky suck rendering skills and poor lighting/bumps make it look fail.

http://img252.imageshack.us/img252/6389/fwallgx4.jpg
^ Just a couple of wall ones, meant to horizontally tile. Both at res of 512²

http://img142.imageshack.us/img142/1548/ftilerd8.jpg
Made some floor tiles, again both at res of 512²

http://img235.imageshack.us/img235/8458/fpanelup9.jpg
And just a panel type texture, could be for a wall, ceiling, anything really. Res of 1024²
oh and you can see some strip ones I made in there too.

I hadn't made them coloured, simply because I don't do that until last, and I like to keep black and white versions, to colour later as varients (rusty, stone, brushed metal etc)

ChickenShyt
February 7th, 2007, 06:13 PM
WOW. They look great. Any chance of any in-game usage? I bet these would look good in any HCE map...

DaneO'Roo
February 7th, 2007, 06:14 PM
Well, I know shit all about Hek, or modelling (I'm pretty basic) so unless Masterz decided to use them, probably not anytime soon

Random
February 7th, 2007, 06:18 PM
You should just release them when you are done, they look great and I would use them for forrunner textures on my maps.

DaneO'Roo
February 7th, 2007, 06:28 PM
Yeah, Im making a large texture pack. After forerunner ones, ill make covenant ones :)

ChickenShyt
February 7th, 2007, 06:40 PM
Yeah, the texture-pack seems to be a good idea. Offtopic: No, I don't like your "mouth words" O_o
(Referring to the image in Dano's sig. :P)

DaneO'Roo
February 7th, 2007, 06:49 PM
^ lmao only a select few people will ever get that

I'm also making grass, cliff textures and stuff as well, I'll show them here as well, when I feel they're presentable.

DaneO'Roo
February 7th, 2007, 10:27 PM
Ok just made a grass and cliff texture, the grass needs some work (places are a bit too bright, makes it tile funny) But the cliff texture im very happy with. Worked a little more on the bumps with this one, just chucked it on a plane , modelled a lil bit and tiled it horizontally twice (It tiles vertically too) Both textures are at 1024² res.

http://img144.imageshack.us/img144/9048/cliffbumpshb5.jpg

*edit* Just to clear things up, these were made from scratch, not photos

WhÎþLå§h ÐÆmØÑ
February 7th, 2007, 10:33 PM
Cliffs look like they were from hell :p, and the grass... I am sorry but it's really bad from what I have seen you do.

DaneO'Roo
February 7th, 2007, 10:39 PM
yer the grass was kinda...bleh its not meant to be that big anyway, I never tiled it cuz it tiles funy at the moment. I'll fix it though. It'll look much better once its its actual size, and tiled more.

The cliffs, I made a few varients of, some less rough, grey ones, etc, this one is more of a rocky canyon type cliff texture

*edit*
http://img267.imageshack.us/img267/6041/grasstiledzc8.jpg

I think I fixed the grass, first pic it's all stretched and not tiled, making it look really low res. This one its tiled 4 times, plus fixed. If there are seams tell me, I thought I got rid of em, but my eyes are being all wierd and blurry at moment (needs more sleep)

rossmum
February 7th, 2007, 11:08 PM
Cliffs looked better in the raw texture. I think the bumps are to blame for that pic.

DaneO'Roo
February 7th, 2007, 11:59 PM
Heh thats a differnet cliff texture to hte one i made yesterday ross:P

I don't think that pic looks bad :( It's not really meant to be smooth or anything. Though it is a lil bit too bumpy. Wait I just turned up my brightness and now it looks bad. Maybe my brightness settings are screwing me over.

p.s. I'm having a go at making a crappy little test map to show my textures off xD Wish me luck

rossmum
February 8th, 2007, 12:20 AM
Good luck.

I liked the one you showed me. Post it D:

TheGhost
February 8th, 2007, 12:49 AM
Your latest grass texture looks really nice. Also, try not to over-do the bumps. The metal's looking really good as well.

DaneO'Roo
February 8th, 2007, 01:08 AM
ty Ghostie :) yeh the bumps are getting fine tuned at the moment, I'm not extremely great at em, haven't had as much experience with em so far, but I'll learn them better.

http://img118.imageshack.us/img118/2629/crappylolfj4.jpg
XD
Tryed making a shitty little box, failed miserably, rough base map chucked on, heres what that cliff one looks like without bumps, and the rocks have the texture I showed you yesterday, Ross. I decided it suited better as a scenery boulder texture, than a cliff one.

rossmum
February 8th, 2007, 01:13 AM
Rocks look good. Not a huge fan of the cliffs, though.

DaneO'Roo
February 8th, 2007, 01:25 AM
yer not really a serious attempt. I need someone who knows how to make maps in Maya to teach meh shits. I have no fucking clue xD

n00b1n8R
February 8th, 2007, 01:53 AM
needs less marathon logo on the forunner TBH.

and that cliff looks more like tree bark than rock.

but still, awsome fucking work. got a link to a tut so i can become half as 1337 as that?

Bodzilla
February 8th, 2007, 02:05 AM
nah man he didnt do any tuts. dano's just an artist, with alot of spare time on his hands.

they look great man, i dont mind the cliffs... there just something different.
the Rock Texture Owns tho man, Apply it to a cliff so u can show it off 2 ppl

DaneO'Roo
February 8th, 2007, 02:06 AM
Are you knew to halo or something? Look around, bungie use the Marathon symbol alot. I just felt it was hte sort of "halo" touch it needed.

And the one that looks like tree bark is the one with crappy bumps. Look at the latter picture tbh. I Also thought i could use it, coupled with those bumps as tree bark :P

And no tuts, haven't looked at one thus far. Not really something you can learn, really. You either got it or you don't. Most pro skinners/concept artists have been drawing since they were little kids. As have I, but I certainly am not pro, but I could be in a few years time :P

Best thing to do, is start drawing, but as I said, not really something you can pick up.

*edit* Why don't n e body laik mai cliff texture :( What I like about it, cuz it's so hi res, it's not even tiled in that last picture :P

I'm gunna put em into Halo PC, with HMT, cuz that's all I know how to do. See how they come out.

rossmum
February 8th, 2007, 02:11 AM
I've been drawing/painting all my life and I still can't create a skin from scratch, go figure.

n00b1n8R
February 8th, 2007, 03:52 AM
i've been drawing as long as i can remember >.>

but i can't do fuck drawing with a mouse, mb if i can get ahold of a tablet...

TBH i haven't seen that many marathon logo's in the campaign and i figured they were their more as little self reference easter eggs by bungie than popper forerunner architecture.

TBH i don't like that cliff texture at all. it looks more like something organic than real rock (or mb it's because the texture makes it look like theirs crevices where there arn't and it just looks weird..)

but anyways, gj :)
n00b out

rossmum
February 8th, 2007, 04:01 AM
TBH i haven't seen that many marathon logo's in the campaign and i figured they were their more as little self reference easter eggs by bungie than popper forerunner architecture.
There's one on Keyes's shirt, there's one that's like 100m across on either side of the PoA, there are more hidden all over the place...

n00b1n8R
February 8th, 2007, 04:08 AM
ok, but those examples are UNSC, not forerunner.

the only other one that springs to mind is the one on the loading screen and i think i recall one on a forerunner temple (or was that H2..)

but it doesn't matter anyway.

rossmum
February 8th, 2007, 04:13 AM
Pretty sure I've seen it on both human and forerunner stuff, actually.

DaneO'Roo
February 8th, 2007, 04:42 AM
Lol, I made the cracks like that, so hopefully, If I can make better bumps, it will actualy look as though the cliff has those cracks in it. Parralax would help even more. Organic? Well, I've never seen anythign organic that has cracks and fissures in it, with a brown, red rocky texture >_>

and bleh, who cares if the marathon logos there, it's halo, its there so deal with it ^_^

Reaper Man
February 8th, 2007, 04:52 AM
You're doing the bumps in Maya all wrong it seems. Firstly, when representing normal maps in Maya, set the bumps as "tangent space normals" and render in hardware render mode, otherwise you wont get a true representation of what they will look like in-game.

DaneO'Roo
February 8th, 2007, 06:42 AM
oh! No fucking wonder.

Thanx Reaper :D

someone
February 8th, 2007, 10:09 AM
The textures are great. Make them a little bit sharper and they'll be fine.:)

Apoc4lypse
February 8th, 2007, 03:06 PM
Yeah, Im making a large texture pack. After forerunner ones, ill make covenant ones :)

Nice... I might look into using some of these then, very nice designs. Textures arnt somthing we really have alot of it seems so the more the better. Nice work.

Chewy Gumball
February 8th, 2007, 03:14 PM
Put a water mark on them then show us the sheets. Its easier to tell if it looks nice or not.

DaneO'Roo
February 8th, 2007, 05:41 PM
Nice... I might look into using some of these then, very nice designs. Textures arnt somthing we really have alot of it seems so the more the better. Nice work.

Thank you. As anyone who I'm working for knows, I'm a HUGE push over, so really, anyone who asks nice enough, get's my help. Though lately I've got alot to do. I'm going to make 1 large texture pack, filled with all sorts of stuff.

@ Chewy: yeah, I forgot about that. I'll show the actual skins here with a watermark soon.

Reaper Man
February 8th, 2007, 06:43 PM
oh! No fucking wonder.

Thanx Reaper :D
:lol: Keep up the good work.

Pooky
February 8th, 2007, 09:27 PM
Well, as most of you know I Like to draw pretty pictures, and I just recently tried my hand at a couple of forerunner styled textures. Some may seem to be bridging a line between forerunner and covenant, But I was sorta going for that aspect.

Note: I suck at modelling, this isn't a map, I just applied my textures and some really crappy bumps to some planes in Maya, and rendered them, default settings (im lazy tbh). I would have just posted the textures, but then people would copy the jpegs, wouldn't they ;)

They look very clean here, but are actually quite textured, just my sucky suck rendering skills and poor lighting/bumps make it look fail.

^ Just a couple of wall ones, meant to horizontally tile. Both at res of 512²

Made some floor tiles, again both at res of 512²

And just a panel type texture, could be for a wall, ceiling, anything really. Res of 1024²
oh and you can see some strip ones I made in there too.

I hadn't made them coloured, simply because I don't do that until last, and I like to keep black and white versions, to colour later as varients (rusty, stone, brushed metal etc)

To be honest, they look more like something out of Metroid than something out of Halo. So much so, infact, that at first I thought you made skins for Metroid Prime. Too bad you didn't, that would be sweet

Stealth
February 8th, 2007, 11:22 PM
Ok, Dano, I really like the look of your new skins, the rock cliffs, kind of look like something I would see after a rain storm, but I think it looks very cool, keep up with you work.

DaneO'Roo
February 8th, 2007, 11:32 PM
thank you Stealth, the cliffs are meant tobe a really red baron "Arizona" type looking thing. Sort of a canyon theme. I've made other less harsh varients, smooth grey, another with a more yellowed look.

and Fried Metroid, o_O.

I've never even played 1 metroid game. The closest I got to Samus was Super Smash Bros on the N64.XD

Note the Marathon symbol....I based them off the halo 1 and halo 2 Forerunner panels you often see on walls and ceilings.

Note: Your the only one whos said this, and your the only one with metroid in their name :P

Metroid on da brain yo?

Pooky
February 8th, 2007, 11:35 PM
thank you stealth, and Fried Metroid, o_O. I've never even played 1 metroid game. The closest I got to samus was Super Smash Bros on the N64. Note the Marathon symbol....

Note: Your the only one whos said this, and your the only one with metroid in their name.

Metroid on da brain yo?

If you like games with a reasonably deep storyline and good first person blowing shit up, you would probably like Metroid Prime. all the other ones, I can't say. I just happened to notice that the style more accurately reflects Chozo than Forerunner.

Stealth
February 8th, 2007, 11:36 PM
the cliff kind of looks like it is half mud, and half stone, like there was a bad rain storm, it'd look great in a map where it is raining.

Limited
February 9th, 2007, 11:19 AM
So have you made bump textures for the metal yet? (Proper ones I mean)

Nice work though dano :P I like metal textures most..

DaneO'Roo
February 9th, 2007, 04:39 PM
yeah the bumps in those pics, i found out were using Mayas crappy default settings, and turns out my graphics card can't do hardware mode (makes it look much more accurate and better)

:(

and Fried, they can't resemble Chozo, cuz I've never played Metroid, nor seen anything of any games. I think your experience with metroid is just associating them with chozo. Later today I'm goign to try a rippled sand texture, and a cracked mud one. I've made a tree bark wood texture too, but just needs a bit of tweeking first.

(p.s. whats a chozo)

~ZMT~Trace
February 11th, 2007, 11:44 AM
(p.s. whats a chozo)

The Chozo would be the Forrunner of Metroid.

Pooky
February 11th, 2007, 10:38 PM
and Fried, they can't resemble Chozo, cuz I've never played Metroid, nor seen anything of any games. I think your experience with metroid is just associating them with chozo. Later today I'm goign to try a rippled sand texture, and a cracked mud one. I've made a tree bark wood texture too, but just needs a bit of tweeking first.

(p.s. whats a chozo)

They can too, just because you've never seen the games doesn't mean you can't make something that resembles them (think CMT and their shotgun)

As for the Chozo (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chozo) yes, basically the Forerunners of Metroid

Trezeguet
February 12th, 2007, 09:44 PM
The cliff textures look a bit like wood from a tree.
Nice job, there is not much I could say.

Chewy Gumball
February 13th, 2007, 08:57 PM
To me the cliffs look like an aerial view of a lava flow or rocky places. The dark lines should probably be thinner and darker and the edges of the rock face more pronounced (or not if you want smooth rocks).