PDA

View Full Version : [Tutorial] Diffuse and Specular Painting

DaneO'Roo
April 17th, 2008, 10:55 PM
OK, this video is unedited, and I tried to do as much as I could within my time frame. I was going for 1 hour, but I added in another 10 minutes of me just rendering it in crazy bump and such.

I've done alot more to it since I recorded the video though. Ideally I would have spent 2 hours on them.

Basically, theres no audio, no text, no nothing except the video. You also might want to play it in windows media player, and darken the video a bit, because some reason it came out brighter than it actually recorded as. Also, for some reason camtasia didn't record the top bars for my palettes in photoshop. No idea why.

Anyway, this video mainly shows my workflow and how I paint the diffuse and specular textures to make this:

Rendered Bump

http://img516.imageshack.us/img516/1849/gypofloortilebumpprogtq5.jpg

Into this!:

Composite

http://img293.imageshack.us/img293/6088/asethfloortilerenderuu8.jpg

Also, something I thought would be handy:

http://img411.imageshack.us/img411/3628/gypofloortilequarterdexda9.jpg

VIDEO DOWNLOAD LINK
http://files.filefront.com/Danes+Texture+Painting+Vioavi/;10028566;/fileinfo.html

If you have problems playing the video, download the K- Lite Codec Pack here (http://www.free-codecs.com/download_soft.php?d=4372&s=95).

Enjoy :)

SnaFuBAR
April 17th, 2008, 11:34 PM
:gizz:

Bad Waffle
April 17th, 2008, 11:37 PM
TOPIC DOESNT FOLLOW THE RULES, MUST BE DELETED ;)

DaneO'Roo
April 17th, 2008, 11:38 PM
FAG

nowait

STICKYFAG

:?

Zeph
April 18th, 2008, 12:20 AM
Thread is fine. Carry on.

Bad Waffle
April 18th, 2008, 12:41 AM
zeph, nice noticing of the sarcasm on your part, A+++++

DaneO'Roo
April 18th, 2008, 02:17 AM
Can this thread get some sticky? Just so it doesn't get lost in the sands of time.

Patrickssj6
April 18th, 2008, 08:16 AM
Yeeeee...no.

Still :awesome:

DaneO'Roo
April 19th, 2008, 04:06 AM
No wut :(

Also, I think I might get into the habit of recording myself. I'm thinking of making pseudo "video classes" in parts so that people can learn too. I think such awesome things could come from the community if more people could paint textures.

Anton
April 19th, 2008, 08:55 PM
That's a great idea; Just make sure you have a place to store all of those video files or your pc will lose space and fast. Unless of course you have some kind of super awesome compression method or something.

SgtBotley
April 20th, 2008, 07:27 AM
D4NO's WISDOM!!!

Limited
May 1st, 2008, 08:18 PM
Holy hell thats a killer texture, havent even watched the video yet. 2am really should hit the hay lesson at 9, oh well :)

What was the deal with the offsetting at the start, did you render it to a texture via max and it cut it up for you? Slightly confused, also, high res overlay whats that? :P

Sel
May 1st, 2008, 08:58 PM
Dano, you are one of my favourite australians :rape:

Disaster
May 1st, 2008, 09:02 PM
^Yeah. This has been a big help since I'm starting to get into texturing/skinning. Same with your forerunner one lost in the sands of time. :P

SuperSunny
May 1st, 2008, 09:13 PM
This has helped me a lot, I appreciate what you've done man. It's kickass!

DaneO'Roo
May 2nd, 2008, 11:19 PM
Holy hell thats a killer texture, havent even watched the video yet. 2am really should hit the hay lesson at 9, oh well :)

What was the deal with the offsetting at the start, did you render it to a texture via max and it cut it up for you? Slightly confused, also, high res overlay whats that? :P

Max?

I was offsetting things so I could make sure that when I finished painting, the texture would tile perfectly without having ugly lines. Just layer by layer.

Also, for those of you confused, ctrl+f repeats the last filter you used. Which is why I was offsetting all the layers without going to the menu.

Also, don't download brushes. Thats no fun. Just get an a3 white piece of paper, lay down some news paper behind it, and throw some paint (any paint will do) and dirt and stuff at it, take a photo without flash, wack it into photoshop and adjust it so it works like a brush should. That's how I make all my "grunge" brushes. You can actually make some really fucking cool (and really fucking hi res) brushes doing a real life method. Whether your throwing a bunch of leaves at some paper, sneezing on it, doesn't matter. You can use it.

Also, it was a high pass overlay (not a hi res overlay xD) of the bump map that I fucked up with a brushing using the most common grey area in that layer. Basically, much quicker and easier than doing and inner and outer glow to all the layers, and it gives you some variance to the edge rather than a perfect width around the whole thing.

Hunter
May 11th, 2008, 01:28 PM
Now that's a weird way to make a brush...

Lol.

Anton
May 27th, 2008, 04:44 PM
Dane gave me permission to share this: http://t1xanton.com/files/Videos/tutorials/Dane_Tutorials.rar

It's a compression of both of his tutorials, it's only 100 MB, (10 more than this one alone). Thanks Dane.

Limited
May 27th, 2008, 05:28 PM
Both? Thought he only did one...

Roostervier
May 27th, 2008, 05:31 PM
He did this one and he made a forerunner one a while ago. I already have this one so I'm not going to download Anton's, but thanks for uploading it anyway.

demonmaster3k
June 3rd, 2008, 06:47 PM
That's a great idea; Just make sure you have a place to store all of those video files or your pc will lose space and fast. Unless of course you have some kind of super awesome compression method or something.
there's always windows skydrive beta and filefront (those are the ones i use to store my crap and backups online)

Anton
June 3rd, 2008, 07:42 PM
I know those are places to store, and most of us have servers we can upload too via FTP. I was just saying he would possible need to have a bigger HDD or other local storage if he is to start recording his work because I don't think he's going to be uploading everything he records. That would take forever. :(

UnevenElefant5
July 19th, 2009, 11:08 AM
I know this is an epic bump, but I was wondering if anyone has a link to this tutorial? I downloaded his old forerunner one, but all the download links I can find for this one are down and I really want to watch this. Thanks.

Limited
July 19th, 2009, 11:20 AM
I know this is an epic bump, but I was wondering if anyone has a link to this tutorial? I downloaded his old forerunner one, but all the download links I can find for this one are down and I really want to watch this. Thanks.
If its Danes_Texture_Painting_Vio.avi then yeah I have it. My upload speed is shockingly rubbish, so I'll wait in case some one already has a mirror to post, before attempting to upload it.

UnevenElefant5
July 19th, 2009, 03:26 PM
I don't think anyone has a mirror :\

Sel
July 19th, 2009, 03:55 PM
I still have this, one give me a second to upload it.

http://www.filefront.com/14077977/Danes_Texture_Painting_Vio.avi

UnevenElefant5
July 19th, 2009, 05:43 PM
Thanks a lot man :)

PopeAK49
January 7th, 2012, 04:50 PM
Sorry for the bump, but does anyone have this tutorial or know where I can find it?

neuro
January 7th, 2012, 05:03 PM
I'll ask dane if he's still got it lying around.

PopeAK49
January 7th, 2012, 05:28 PM
I'll ask dane if he's still got it lying around.

Thanks, I appreciate it greatly.