PDA

View Full Version : Quick-Crit 2008-2009

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26

Con
April 18th, 2008, 10:21 PM
The QC Thread is a place for your most current works of any kind or any game and get quick advice. Why use this instead of a [GALLERY] thread or a WIP thread in another section? You can post your projects in their own thread if you want, but if you want fast advice on a smaller project, this is the place for you. This is not a place for you to dump all your work (It's not a big truck), but rather a place for work that doesn't require a whole thread in the Studio. That being said, please avoid posting loads of images. Keep that to your [GALLERY] threads. Essentially, this is like the good ol' Offtopic Gallery Thread minus all crap that plagued it and its sibling in the CE section.

So here are the rules:
This is not a [GALLERY] thread, only post your most current work that does not require a whole thread.
Make sure your images are big enough to crit, not too dark, and remember that wireframes for models are helpful.
Images larger than the page size must be put in [shot] tags.
Use [spoiler] tags sparingly; it's annoying having to click to open and view every single one of your images.
Last but not least, no shitposting. This thread's been going good so far, don't ruin it.Let's see some work!

p0lar edit:

Please note the following addition to the AUP as of 2/17:

CRITIQUE

Keep in mind that there are professional artists, modelers, writers, animators, etc in this community who have taken college courses and have degrees in varied areas. When posting your work for critique, please specify if you are looking for professional advice to make it as perfect as it can get, or if you just want a basic rundown to improve your work.
When asking for professional critique, you are opening yourself up to comments that you may find mean or rough. Feel free to inquire further or challenge the critic if they're too vague or you disagree, but do not retaliate to these comments (i.e: "fuck off, it took me X days to make this what do you know"), as this is normal in the professional world, and retaliating in such a way makes you look incompetent.
If asking for basic advice, make sure to specify what the final role of the work will be. Is it an artistic piece? Will it be going into a game?If you do not specify what kind of advice you'd like, it will be considered by default that you are looking for a professional review.

Mass
April 18th, 2008, 10:33 PM
Map I've been working on with Duce.

Name is Haven, I'm gonna make a thread when I get further along.
http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o97/nate-the-great_photos/yeahdidsomeworklol.jpg
http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o97/nate-the-great_photos/havenbase3.jpg
http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o97/nate-the-great_photos/havenbase2.jpg
http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o97/nate-the-great_photos/unoitfoo.jpg
I've done quite a bit of the terrain, but in general, if it looks good, it's Duce.

Con
April 18th, 2008, 10:37 PM
I would make the center "panel" in (each one of those sections of 3 on the big wall) have some little detail extruded out somehow to break the pattern.

ima_from_America
April 18th, 2008, 10:39 PM
Reminds me of Valhalla in a good way.

Disaster
April 18th, 2008, 11:12 PM
Jesus mass. Your work is incredible. I can't wait till this map is finished. From what I can tell, theres nothing really that needs fixing. It's overall amazing :awesome:

rossmum
April 18th, 2008, 11:28 PM
I love it.

Also, good idea for a thread, Con. :haw:

Sever
April 18th, 2008, 11:44 PM
This is my current lyrical project, and I'm just looking for any other writers' (and anyone else's') opinions and constructive criticism on what I've done so far. I still need to update it in my gallery topic (link in my signature), but that will come later, probably after I'm done with it for the foreseeable future. Of course I'll work on it much later in time, but that's not the point right now. I just want to know what anyone thinks about it. I still have to write the second and third verses (as seen by the exes). I still feel unsure about the addendum (last two verses) due to the fact that their timing is completely off when compared to the rest of the song, but I'm thinking about having them as spoken/whispered/mumbled verse rather than sung. If anyone has questions about this particular work's meaning, feel free to ask.

Return

Remind me how to stand again
I'm sure I can't on my own
Tracing lines you've left behind
Chasing your trail alone

xxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxx

xxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxx

Even though I feel this way
I'll believe what you say

Loosing my balance
You pull me in
Sleepwalk my way
Into your daydream

You say I'm not dying / Lend me strength - Remind me
You say I'm not dying / Lead me through - Your reverie

Treading through the fallen petals
Your ocean drawing nearer
I see the wind run through the trees
But I don't feel your breeze on me

Squinting into the distant sun
I rescind my dreams
Blinded by the sharp reflections
I can't be reached by your fading shine

Con
April 18th, 2008, 11:50 PM
I like the idea you've got, but crazy connor likes rhymes >_>

rossmum
April 19th, 2008, 02:34 AM
*rhymes :eng101:

I'm giving you crit on your spelling.

DaneO'Roo
April 19th, 2008, 03:55 AM
Amazing lyrics man. Would I be assuming to much to say that Tool and A Perfect Circle are your favourite bands?

Bodzilla
April 19th, 2008, 04:29 AM
I love it.

Also, good idea for a thread, Con. :haw:
yes......... con >_<

i said this needed to be done weeks ago. just a different format for it.
good to see somethings finally being done about it.

Sever
April 19th, 2008, 05:46 AM
You'd be on the right lines, but overstepping a tad, Dane. Maynard's lyrical abilities are quite a good inspiration, as you might have seen in my past signature set, which quoted Rose, The Noose, H., and Gravity, but his groups (including Puscifer) don't make the cut to be within my top 5: Lacuna Coil, In Flames, 311, Static-X and Ghost Machine (one of the many projects featuring Ivan Moody, the former vocalist of Motograter and the current vocalist for Five Finger Deathpunch, who will be featured as a minor act at the Mayhem Fest this summer - I'm going to see them in DC in August!). This one specifically is heavily influenced by In Flames' The Chosen Pessimist, from their latest album A Sense Of Purpose. Add me on aim or xf when you're free and we'll chat etc.

Also, lolross.

Also also, we need a smiley for lolross.

Tweek
April 20th, 2008, 04:04 PM
ohh man that reminds me SOO much of somethign i was working on a while ago. i never finished it tho.

shame, i think it'd go along with that quite well.

DaneO'Roo
April 20th, 2008, 08:49 PM
http://img233.imageshack.us/img233/2599/asethinteriorpillarjd3.jpg

Don't yell at me about geometry errors, i'll get to them in due time, tell me what you think of the design. I'ts not done by the way, only just started the side wall parts like 2 minutes ago.

Sever
April 20th, 2008, 09:11 PM
It looks quite nice. If it had to fit somewhere in the Halo universe (which it absolutely doesn't have to if you don't desire it to), then I would have to say it were some of the more recent Forerunner or oldest Covenant architecture, since it, and your similar artwork of late, seems to be a bridge between the two races' styles (but still definitely your own), I could totally see this style working for a hexagonally radial map idea that I've been doing some sketches for lately.

DaneO'Roo
April 20th, 2008, 10:20 PM
It's not for halo.

rossmum
April 20th, 2008, 10:27 PM
Looks good.

Kalub
April 20th, 2008, 10:33 PM
Can I see a clay render meester? :D

DaneO'Roo
April 20th, 2008, 10:53 PM
Can I see a clay render meester? :D

Not until its done. I haven't smoothed it or ironed out some of the problems in the verts.

http://img234.imageshack.us/img234/3084/bandcamptw9.jpg

crits welcome.
yes this is a joke

rossmum
April 21st, 2008, 02:15 AM
What the fuck hahahaha

Sever
April 21st, 2008, 09:41 AM
Its a box. A human box. It holds stuff. I don't know what stuff, but it holds it.

There will be hundreds of these in different colors strewn about a decaying military storage facility map I'm working on (Condemned: inspired by, but not a full-blown remake of, Damnation). I'm going to make a wonky-looking clamp-forklift to move it, and to have a nameable piece of scenery, and thus a nameable location.

Its dimensions are 50-wide, 75-long, and 43.75-high (so you can still crouch-jump onto a two-high stack, which will be imperative to gameplay), 2064 verts, 410 faces.
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f87/sever323/Box000.png
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f87/sever323/Box001.png
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f87/sever323/Box002.png
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f87/sever323/Box003.png
Tell me what you think, and if it needs any improvements. I made it completely with spline modeling, so don't bitch at me about chamfer/bevel tools. Any additional insets will be done via bump mapping, as to keep it somewhat low-poly. If anyone wants to skin it, that would be great.

rossmum
April 21st, 2008, 11:58 AM
I'm curious as to what excuse you can come up with for the corners. They seem unnecessary and just reduce the volume with no apparent benefit.

Sever
April 21st, 2008, 12:13 PM
I didn't like how triangles looked (they were way to similar to the Cobb boxes from H2SP/Elongation), and hexagons are cool. If you want to get all logical and theoretical, you need somewhere to put the contents labeling that won't be covered when the boxes are stacked, and the triangular area doesn't provide enough usable space for the labeling. Also, these boxes are more about durability and safety than volume-efficiency. I said they were for a military storage facility - if the contents are munitions, you can give up a bit more space for being clear that you should be careful when shipping/opening the crate. Thanks for making me justify that.

rossmum
April 21st, 2008, 05:37 PM
That works.

Con
April 21st, 2008, 07:02 PM
For the top of the box, you should continue some of corner's lines across the length and width of the box to form a lid.

Sever
April 21st, 2008, 07:32 PM
Any methods of opening the box won't be modeled, since I'll be having over 100 of them placed around the map (the majority in inaccessible areas, so detail isn't that major), I'm just giving them enough model detail to be interesting. If you want to skin it, you could make it appear as if it had a lid...

ExAm
April 22nd, 2008, 01:57 AM
I could totally imagine putting my junk in that box.

NuggetWarmer
April 22nd, 2008, 02:33 AM
Just trying out some new texturing advice I got. I always mess up with brushes, so Maniac is going to send me some of his scratch and grunge brushes..
http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u27/foxymccloud/MaulerFinal.jpg

Model made by Aklass for H3MT. Texture may or may not be temporary as of yet.

Disaster
April 22nd, 2008, 04:15 PM
^:awesome:

paladin
April 22nd, 2008, 05:08 PM
I could totally imagine putting my junk in that box.

Put your junk in my box plz...

Just trying out some new texturing advice I got. I always mess up with brushes, so Maniac is going to send me some of his scratch and grunge brushes..
http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u27/foxymccloud/MaulerFinal.jpg

Model made by Aklass for H3MT. Texture may or may not be temporary as of yet.

VERY nice

Bodzilla
April 22nd, 2008, 06:04 PM
tahts a very nice looking box.
good job :)

Apoc4lypse
April 23rd, 2008, 11:29 PM
tahts a very nice looking box.
good job :)

agreed, my own theories for the corners came to mind right away though before I read anything, perhaps they are shaped that way so they can be carried and/or moved on and off of shipping vessels (spacecraft of some kind) thus having the shape at each corner for maximum control and manipulation of the freight boxes, or what ever you'd be naming them. I thought possibly some sort of electro magnetic arms of some sort could "clip" or attach to the corners, then move it around and such. You could also create "shelf" type objects that fit into the hexagon shapes for when there stacked together. Idk jus thinking creatively, I like em :D

EDIT: My idea is make your fork lift use the corners to hold it kind of, if that makes sense to you... *the idea is in my head and looks right in my head, but idk how else to explain it.* XD

Sever
April 24th, 2008, 12:16 AM
Thanks everyone for your comments on the crate. _@/

I'm already re-planning the box - the hexagon corners will definitely stay, but I just don't like how the ring around them turned out. I'll be making functional indentations so the clamp-lift (like a forklift, but will use clamps - get it? The clamps will grab from all four corners of the crate with eight connection points) will be able to grab them easily, as well as allow the boxes to be stacked and held in place when spacers are used in between layers.

Also, I've just about finished the 2-d layout for the intended level, and I am glad to say that everything effortlessly fell in to place. I still have no idea how I even got so much work done on the layout in so little time, let alone got the idea. It is quite unlike any other map concept that I've had in the past, yet it makes perfect sense to me. I have completed the weapon/player/scenery/flag/hill/ball/checkpoint spawns and am quite happy with the results.

The history the map's setting is an abandoned military storage/shipping facility, and is thus quite industrial (chain-link barriers, fluorescent lighting, ventilation ducts, maintenance and elevator shafts, and a crapload - 142 as per the last layout - of boxes), but is also in a state of disrepair. The only strategically-important damage to the structure is a pair of gaping holes in the ceiling/floor of the second/third levels which allows travel between the two areas. Later on, after I've gotten the basic model in-game, I (or whoever I can get to help) will touch up the model with area-specific damage and decay.

The map was definitely inspired by Damnation, with the two bases being stripped-down versions of the parallel ramp areas. The catwalks and pathways connecting them have been completely replaced, however, with 3 levels of combat - an almost-pitch-black lower floor and a god-ray illuminated middle floor, both filled with an array of support pillars and barricades, and an open-combat landing pad on top. Each floor has numerous ways to descend, and almost as many ways (for the skilled jumpers) to ascend from one level to another.

I am currently looking for someone who can help with the skinning and HEK work, an associate, if you will. Fell free to PM me if you're interested and have the time - the 3d work should be done within the next week or so, my work schedule permitting.

Sel
April 24th, 2008, 08:08 PM
Something Ive been working on lately.

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l42/selentic/pillar-1.jpg

Any complaints?

Con
April 24th, 2008, 08:10 PM
That thing on the side that looks like a blast door partially open is kinda :\

Disaster
April 24th, 2008, 08:11 PM
Looks really good except for that screwed up hexagon thing in the tower. It doesn't look that forunner to me. Overall good work however. Also, needs a front support because it looks really awkward with that big tower and nothing holding it up except where its attached to the base.

teh lag
April 24th, 2008, 08:19 PM
Also, needs a front support because it looks really awkward with that big tower and nothing holding it up except where its attached to the base.

I don't think so; forerunner architecture has a lot of stuff like that. One needs to look no further than The Covenant or TSC to find similar overhangs. The most it needs are a few energy tethers or something.

Bodzilla
April 24th, 2008, 09:01 PM
dude it looks like a penis.

i'm not joking.

il Duce Primo
April 24th, 2008, 09:18 PM
dude it looks like a penis.

i'm not joking.
dude you have a fucked up penis.

i'm not joking.

Bodzilla
April 25th, 2008, 02:34 AM
at least my penis doesnt have "master chief shaped" crabs running all over it D:

needs work dude. you've got a massive overhang with two smaller round areas next to it :gonk:

HDoan
April 28th, 2008, 12:23 AM
My attempt at trying to create my own style of patterns and such.
http://img135.imageshack.us/img135/8435/previewforerunner1mo5.png
Ignore the watermark in the middle.

Rob Oplawar
April 28th, 2008, 12:48 AM
hm, it's, well, hm
Idk, it seems like the style is sort of self contradictory. plus the base seems to have nothing to do with the pattern on top of it.

Reaper Man
April 28th, 2008, 05:59 AM
So, in art I have this whole topic on 'decay' that I have been working on, kinda looking at vanitas related stuff.
The skeleton on the left is painted on two pieces of rusted metal I found in an old abandoned house near mine (was actually part of the roof XD)
Both drawn on the same page because I'm supposed to be putting together a "research work book", gunna be painting the apple thing on a larger piece of metal when i find one.
http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/6629/img0125rf2.jpg
E: for some reason the yellow parts of the metal look extremely saturated on my desktop screen, yet on my laptop monitor, appear fine, I hope it's just my desktop screen being mis-calibrated.. :saddowns:

E again: Yes, I know I need to fix the thumb bone.

rossmum
April 28th, 2008, 10:39 AM
Looks good, though the lower part of the skeleton could use work. Might also be worth emphasising the fusion joints between the various skull bones.

As for me, been working on my HL2 Raising the Bar soldiers some more; churned out another two today:

http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm258/rossmumv2/ep2_outland_10a0016.jpg
http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm258/rossmumv2/ep2_outland_10a0014.jpg
http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s310/xbh_rossmum/owcamo.jpg

DaneO'Roo
April 29th, 2008, 12:15 AM
Looks great Ross.

And Nugget, as far as I'm concerned that brute gun skin is pretty well monotoned and blurred to hell and back.

NuggetWarmer
April 29th, 2008, 12:15 AM
It's mostly blurry because I saved the .jpg on low quality. :(

Con
April 29th, 2008, 01:10 AM
My attempt at trying to create my own style of patterns and such.
http://img135.imageshack.us/img135/8435/previewforerunner1mo5.png
Ignore the watermark in the middle.
Having an overlaying pattern of detail like that is fine, except you don't want it to continue across large parts of the texture. The pattern of boxes and shapes in your other layers seem too bright compared to the very dark metal base you've chosen. The boxes seem too much like an afterthought than anything else. Add detailing and scratching along the exposed edges of details, like they would be scratched in real life.

Sever
April 29th, 2008, 01:29 PM
Reaper Man, I love the mixed-media work there. I often use scrap-metal, pieces of screen, and other random things in my work to give texture and vary the surface, and I'd say you're doing a perfect job of it.

Rossmum, great reskinnings of the Combine. One pointer: play with the goggle lenses a bit more - the main functionality of the lens color on the original version was to make the bipeds recognizable in dark areas. Look at how the neon teal lenses relate to the grey-blue secondary camouflage color, and try to emulate that same pattern in your own three variations. Also, think about what environments the permutations would be used in to decide what would work best to make them stand out in different lightings. Additionally, I think you should make some camouflage variants of the Combine Officer - I've seen your other renditions and found them interesting and well-suited for their respective environments, but not practical for urban/rural combat. Heck, you should even attempt to reskin the Hunter, Strider, APC, Helicopter, Dropship, Gunship and all of the CP/Combine weapons and drones. I think you've got enough talent to do a whole series.

Now, on to my stuff. I believe I'm almost done editing/reconfiguring my latest lyrical work for now. I've tried to centralize it and make it more concise, while still retaining its semi-ambiguousness. I've tried to work with the theme of blocking out the unwanted truth with a memory, only to have it bring about overall detachment. I don't think I've said it before, so let me clarify things: I use '/' to denote a change in vocalists and '-' to denote a pause. Here goes:

Return

Tracing lines you've left behind
Chasing your trail alone

Blinded by the sharp reflections
Your distant sun grows cold
Wandering through your reverie
My intentions draw blood

Hopefully

Losing my balance
Your gravity pulls me
Sleepwalk my way
Into your daydream

Even though - I feel this way
I'll believe - What you say

Treading through the fallen petals / Even though
Your ocean drawing nearer / I feel this way
I see the wind run through the trees / I'll believe
But I don't feel your breeze on me / What you say

Squinting into your distant sun / Even though
I rescind my dreams / I feel this way
I can't be reached by the fading light / You say I'm not dying
But your shine still embraces me / You say I'm not dyingTell me what you think!

I'm still looking for someone who wants to help me get my current HCE mapping project in-game - I'm almost done with the BSP, and will be using standard weapons/bipeds for the time being, so it will only involve skinning/lighting help, and population, which is already fully diagrammed.

rossmum
April 29th, 2008, 03:29 PM
Loosing isn't a word. Losing is.

;)

Sever
April 29th, 2008, 03:37 PM
Actually, it is a word (the act of loosening, kinda redundant but w/e), but still wasn't the word I had intended. Thanks.

rossmum
April 29th, 2008, 04:09 PM
Loosening is the word for the act of loosening, loosing is slang. :p

Sever
May 1st, 2008, 11:10 AM
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f87/sever323/CrateB000.pnghttp://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f87/sever323/CrateB001.pnghttp://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f87/sever323/CrateB002.png
This is my second rendition of my crate. I'm much happier with how it turned out. I believe it looks a bit more functional and 'Human' without the clamp-points being connected by unnecessary 45° angle grooves, but that's just my opinion. Tell me what you all think - better or worse than the last crate?

Bodzilla
May 1st, 2008, 05:41 PM
I liked the other one better.
It had better proportions tbh. This is almost a cube.

Sever
May 1st, 2008, 06:05 PM
Umm... :/

It must just be the angle, because it's the same exact size as the other - all I did was restructure the indented areas. What do you think of those parts though?

rossmum
May 1st, 2008, 10:03 PM
Newer one is better.

Patrickssj6
May 4th, 2008, 03:36 AM
Newer one makes more sense. Those indentions reinforce the whole structure.

Conclusion...

Newer one is better.

Sever
May 4th, 2008, 09:18 AM
Cool. I've been trying to make my modeling more logical and structurally acceptable, and I think I've got it. Thanks for the feedback! Now, is anyone interested in skinning it? I just need to add a few reference lines to discern the seams where the crate separates when opened, and to show where the digital controls and displays will be, and it'll be ready to go!

Llama Juice
May 6th, 2008, 07:52 PM
I was bored...

http://www.llamajuice.com/img/phone.jpg

About a half hour spent

BobtheGreatII
May 6th, 2008, 08:12 PM
About a half hour spentWasted

FTFY

Lol, jk, looks nice. Shading is decent. Screen could use some work, but there's no going back now. :lol:

Pooky
May 6th, 2008, 08:14 PM
I was bored...

http://www.llamajuice.com/img/phone.jpg

About a half hour spent

My sister has that exact phone, nice likeness.

Reminds me of the time I was supposed to be in Chemistry class but instead I spent the whole period drawing a picture of the Dracula book I had with me :p

Assault&Battery
May 7th, 2008, 12:32 AM
Took me around 4 hours to model this terrain. The Forerunner hallway and surrounding polygons are going to be replaced by a less shitty version when I finish the surrounding terrain; the hallway's a separate object than the rest of the mesh.

This is my first attempt at plane modeling an environment, not weapons like I've been practicing with. Combined the newer skills I've learned with some old stuff from previous map modeling.

Still has a shitload of work to do, but it's a start.
http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm116/AssaultandBattery77/beach.jpg
http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm116/AssaultandBattery77/beach-wireframe.jpg
Poly and triangle count both stand at 375.

Rob Oplawar
May 7th, 2008, 12:38 AM
One thing that comes with experience is efficiency. I was about to make some abrasive remark about "omg it took you 4 hours to do that", but it occurs to me that when I first started modeling I took a lot longer to do simple stuff.

Now, don't get discouraged when I say this, but, that terrain needs a lot of work. The cliffs are too uniform and smooth, and, well, you should look at some cliff modeling tutorials.

Kudos for trying plane modeling, tho. I only started that recently. :-3

e: *looks at it a bit more* well, the cliffs are alright I suppose, they're not that bad, but still,
... well yeah they're bad.

Assault&Battery
May 7th, 2008, 12:52 AM
I'm used to working with my old techniques, but Halo doesn't like them for some reason. The other engines I used to work with let me get away with FAR MORE than Halo does, so I have to re-learn my techniques.

Rob Oplawar
May 7th, 2008, 03:34 AM
i know exactly what you mean.
*still learning editable poly*

Assault&Battery
May 7th, 2008, 05:36 PM
Any advice on exactly WHAT to fix, for future reference?

EDIT: OK, I followed Tweek's cliff tutorial and spruced up the cliffs. Poly/Trit count is at 407.
Untextured, unsmoothed:
http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm116/AssaultandBattery77/beach_unsmoothed_untextured.jpg
Untextured, smoothed:
http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm116/AssaultandBattery77/beach_untextured.jpg
Textured (Default B30 Bungie cliff textures, custom crappy placeholder beach bitmap), Smoothed:
http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm116/AssaultandBattery77/beach-1.jpg
If the new cliffs pass judgement, I will proceed on to the shitty Forerunner pathway I currently have. Hopefully it will look the same in-game as it does in the textured render, I rather like how that looks, but I understand if you guys can find flaws.

There is no wireframe this time because the only real changes were a couple cuts, re-arrangement of some verticies and the addition of a noise modifier. That, and I'm too lazy to get off my fat ass and render one.

LlamaMaster
May 7th, 2008, 07:53 PM
Better, but still to flat. Don't rely on the noise modifier to make to cliffs look good, because it won't. Use soft selection and drag the verts to make it look more rocky. I'd give you an example, but halos stock cliffs suck major ass.

Assault&Battery
May 7th, 2008, 08:34 PM
OK, I've beefed up my cliffs some. Here's a side-by-side comparison, new up top, old on the bottom:
http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm116/AssaultandBattery77/beach-2.jpg
http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm116/AssaultandBattery77/beach-1.jpg

Also, wireframe:
http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm116/AssaultandBattery77/beach-wireframe-1.jpg

It seems like it sticks out a lot more in Max for some reason.

Reaper Man
May 7th, 2008, 08:48 PM
The new cliffs look great.

Assault&Battery
May 7th, 2008, 08:55 PM
The new cliffs look great.
Thanks!
I injected more steroids into the cliffs, I'll probably stop here, unless you guys say otherwise. Once again, new on top, old on bottom.
http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm116/AssaultandBattery77/beach-3.jpg
http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm116/AssaultandBattery77/beach-2.jpg
I think I may need to re-do some smoothing groups on the new cliffs, I'll get to work on those.

Reaper Man
May 7th, 2008, 10:51 PM
The cliffs look fine, but the tunnel/entrance looks really bland.

Pooky
May 7th, 2008, 10:54 PM
The cliffs look fine, but the tunnel/entrance looks really bland.

If the new cliffs pass judgement, I will proceed on to the shitty Forerunner pathway I currently have.

:downs:

It's refreshing to see someone around here improving with every new bit of criticism, nice work! The cliffs do look good.

Rob Oplawar
May 8th, 2008, 03:48 AM
It's refreshing to see someone around here improving with every new bit of criticism
qft
Still needs work, but you actually seem to be getting something out of the tutorials, which is good because to be honest, I don't know jack shit about modeling cliffs. Never done it before. keep up the good work.

LlamaMaster
May 8th, 2008, 10:17 AM
Nice improvement! Most newbies around here stay noobs, don't learn squat, and burden the forum. Your the exception. Keep up the good work. :)

Assault&Battery
May 8th, 2008, 08:05 PM
I take criticisms of my models to heart, always have, no matter how harsh.

qft
Still needs work, but you actually seem to be getting something out of the tutorials, which is good because to be honest, I don't know jack shit about modeling cliffs. Never done it before. keep up the good work.
Thank you.

I'll further the variation in my cliffs, possibly add another outcropping. To increase gameplay value, I'm also probably going to add in a cave as well.

I've been learning Forerunner architecture, but I want to see what you guys think of this. I'm not used to modeling Forerunner, so it probably looks horrible. Both sides ARE symmetrical (I used the symmetry modifier), but it doesn't appear that way in the render for some reason, the left-hand side appears to be bent when it isn't.
http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm116/AssaultandBattery77/forerunner_containment_center.jpg
Should I scrap it and try again?

ExAm
May 8th, 2008, 08:10 PM
To be perfectly honest, it doesn't really look forerunner at all. I would suggest looking at some screenshots from Halo for inspiration. Use a few while modeling to give yourself a better idea.
I'm no master at it myself, but there are some people here who are obsessed with forerunner stuff. They should be able to give you some of the general guidelines of forerunner architecture.

Assault&Battery
May 8th, 2008, 08:23 PM
I would really appreciate those guidelines, thank you.
Also:
http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm116/AssaultandBattery77/beach-4.jpg
Water taken from a Halo 3 screenshot, made by Bungie studios.
The Pelican will serve as a turret for defense of the main hole, the secondary cave (off to the right) is just out of range of the turret.
It won't be flyable or anything that will kill gameplay, just a turret on a Pelican which will probably be on fire.

TeeKup
May 8th, 2008, 08:44 PM
I take criticisms of my models to heart, always have, no matter how harsh.

Thank you.

I'll further the variation in my cliffs, possibly add another outcropping. To increase gameplay value, I'm also probably going to add in a cave as well.

I've been learning Forerunner architecture, but I want to see what you guys think of this. I'm not used to modeling Forerunner, so it probably looks horrible. Both sides ARE symmetrical (I used the symmetry modifier), but it doesn't appear that way in the render for some reason, the left-hand side appears to be bent when it isn't.
http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm116/AssaultandBattery77/forerunner_containment_center.jpg
Should I scrap it and try again?

Throw that away right now. That doesn't look Forerunner the least little bit. That looks like something that belongs in Red Faction II. Have you even looked at Forerunner structures? They look nothing like that in the least. All you've done is warped a box and added extrusions and nothing more.

SnaFuBAR
May 8th, 2008, 08:53 PM
nice smashed box.

Rob Oplawar
May 8th, 2008, 08:56 PM
forerunner is all about picking the right angles. Usually I stick with 45s and 30s and 90s, but reall what you should do is pick a few main angles and use those same angles over and over again.
Forerunner typically puts extra angles into an otherwise straight line, ie

+---+ +---+
| | | |
| | becomes | \
| | | \
| | | |
| | | |
+---+ +------+

and so on.
and avoid acute angles on insets- typically inside corners should be chamfered.

|\
| \ = no
| \
| \
__
/ \
| \ = yes
| \

hope that helps.

PenGuin1362
May 8th, 2008, 09:06 PM
Also avoid just using extrude. Play around more with editable poly.

Rob Oplawar
May 8th, 2008, 09:16 PM
Also avoid just using extrude. Play around more with editable poly.
this. I'm tired of seeing forerunner geometry that's just a box that has been repeatedly extruded and chamfered and extruded some more.

Assault&Battery
May 8th, 2008, 09:33 PM
It's been deleted from the model, I'll redo it to get it up to par.

I'll try to see if I can dig up more tutorials for Forerunner modeling. I wasn't using any references at all, and it was obvious.
But what about the beach? How does that compare?

il Duce Primo
May 8th, 2008, 10:04 PM
Animated 3d grass.
Kbo4q_TUlbw

Snowy
May 8th, 2008, 10:16 PM
I would really appreciate those guidelines, thank you.
Also:
http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm116/AssaultandBattery77/beach-4.jpg
Water taken from a Halo 3 screenshot, made by Bungie studios.
The Pelican will serve as a turret for defense of the main hole, the secondary cave (off to the right) is just out of range of the turret.
It won't be flyable or anything that will kill gameplay, just a turret on a Pelican which will probably be on fire.

give them cliffs some z brush!

Con
May 8th, 2008, 10:24 PM
Nice animated grass :o

BobtheGreatII
May 9th, 2008, 12:22 AM
Nice animated grass :o

That's amazing :downs:

NuggetWarmer
May 9th, 2008, 12:27 AM
Animated 3d grass.
Kbo4q_TUlbw

As I said on HaloMaps, I can has? :o

PenGuin1362
May 9th, 2008, 06:15 AM
Animated 3d grass.

Pretty simple, but nicely done.

Llama Juice
May 9th, 2008, 06:51 AM
@ Animated Grass

Show that video to someone who's not interested in modding... or... someone who is using a less ancheint engine...

luls will ensue.

Nicely done though, would be a nice touch for maps, if subtly done.

Rob Oplawar
May 9th, 2008, 10:48 AM
I seem to remember seeing a tutorial once for making animated plants exactly like that. Hm. Looks decent tho.
I'm curious, is it scenery, or is it detail objects? (Can you even animate detail objects?)

SnaFuBAR
May 9th, 2008, 12:29 PM
nice work, primo.

Llama Juice
May 9th, 2008, 01:53 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v287/letshavetea/Photo86.jpg

Bored on my lunch break... the top half is just gestural so... yea. it's fugly.

Rob Oplawar
May 9th, 2008, 02:01 PM
gestural?

Hunter
May 9th, 2008, 02:54 PM
Any good texture? Not accurate but is it any good?
Not finished all of it either, just comment on the finished part.

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g268/martynball/Texture.jpg

NuggetWarmer
May 9th, 2008, 03:12 PM
Actually, it looks pretty good. Keep working on it thought. Your really aren't sowing much.

Sever
May 9th, 2008, 03:14 PM
I personally like the way it looks, but I don't know much about texturing. Just wait around for Dane to give you some pointers. What I can say though, is that the lip at the end (the faces and the edge of the main semi-cylinder, as well as the edges contacting it) needs scratches and whatnot.

Hunter
May 9th, 2008, 03:17 PM
Its like my 2nd texture. I havnt really tryed before.

But I may as well learn.

SnaFuBAR
May 9th, 2008, 03:44 PM
too cloudy. doesn't look like metal. it looks more like black charcoal got smeared all over dark gray paper. learn material definition, please.

Llama Juice
May 9th, 2008, 03:47 PM
gestural?

as in... it's a seven second doodle... just threw something there for the general shape/proportions before going back through it an fully rendering it out.

SgtBotley
May 9th, 2008, 04:34 PM
too cloudy. doesn't look like metal. it looks more like black charcoal got smeared all over dark gray paper. learn material definition, please.

are you talking about Hunters skin or your own? *check sig

Hunter
May 9th, 2008, 04:47 PM
http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g268/martynball/Texture3.jpg
Getting there?

Sever
May 9th, 2008, 05:04 PM
Make the underlying texture look more metallic (shiny and streaked) - otherwise, yes, it is an improvement.

LlamaMaster
May 9th, 2008, 06:13 PM
Doesn't look dark enough to me, but idk.

Con
May 9th, 2008, 06:20 PM
Stay away from highlighting entire edges, just add nicks and scratches and a faint lightness.

Corndogman
May 9th, 2008, 06:26 PM
Stay away from highlighting entire edges, just add nicks and scratches and a faint lightness.

Thats what i was thinking. the edge near the top look way to hard and it doesnt look realistic. other than that i think it looks great.

JunkfoodMan
May 9th, 2008, 08:08 PM
http://img119.imageshack.us/img119/5691/randomsketchte7.jpg

Just a bit of random sketching...

Rob Oplawar
May 9th, 2008, 11:41 PM
that stump has an ear...

it's listening to me...

*runs away*

ItsMeTerror
May 9th, 2008, 11:46 PM
lmao ^above

E: Mind showing us your UVW template?

Llama Juice
May 10th, 2008, 05:47 AM
..... you realize that you don't have to UVW drawings right?

Hunter
May 10th, 2008, 05:56 AM
lmao ^above

E: Mind showing us your UVW template?

..... you realize that you don't have to UVW drawings right?

Hes talking to me Lol. I think.

I have only UVW'd a small part just so I can have a go at texturing.

http://wmclan.net/Forum/temp/uvw_template_guide.jpg
http://wmclan.net/Forum/temp/uvw_template_no_guide.jpg

Llama Juice
May 10th, 2008, 09:53 AM
http://www.llamajuice.com/img/torso.jpg

WIP... obviously. Don't have a wire right now, but yea...

Also that pinch at the bottom... I didn't even notice it until I mirrored it... didn't have time to fix before snapping the render and GTFOing from the lab.

Hunter
May 10th, 2008, 11:03 AM
^ Looks good. I tryed making a person before... It didnt look like a person.. Lol.

Getting there?
http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g268/martynball/Texture_2.jpg

Without blood:
http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g268/martynball/Blade_NoBlood.jpg

ItsMeTerror
May 10th, 2008, 11:35 AM
Nice liking it Hunter, Im not much of a texture'r but I think it looks pretty darn good.

E: Here was something I was working on. I never got to finishing it because I started working on a map.

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p70/bman12_2006/Textures%20I%20made/MetalWall-WIP.jpg

Hunter
May 10th, 2008, 12:37 PM
Ty. And thats the sort of metal effect I want. How did you make that? Lol.

Con
May 10th, 2008, 01:38 PM
Hunter, work on the blood on the blade. You've got a lot of spattered blood, but it doesn't look like it's been jammed into someone's body. Have some thicker smearing of blood and not just spattering.

Hunter
May 10th, 2008, 01:52 PM
Ok. I might leave the blood though. People at halomaps.org think I shouldn't have it because its no in Halo 3. So i'm going of the audiences views.

Does the actual skin seem okay though Conscars?

Llama Juice
May 10th, 2008, 02:02 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v287/letshavetea/reklrjfsdl.jpg

A little update, haven't touched the lower torso/leg much.

Hunter
May 10th, 2008, 02:17 PM
Wireframe?

Con
May 10th, 2008, 02:45 PM
The skin looks better than before, but your scratched edges look a bit blurry or thick in some places (you just have a gray blotch there). The random brown spots don't look very good either. If you want to make it dirty (which is a good idea), make it a bit more realistic.

Gwunty
May 10th, 2008, 03:22 PM
Im modeling a new map, and I want crit as how I can make it look better ( I still need to add smoothing)
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t261/carlos_y_charlie/mP.jpg
Any good?

Hunter
May 10th, 2008, 03:51 PM
Looks nice.

Do the UV square things need to be the same size on all parts?
http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g268/martynball/UVW_SAME_SIZE.jpg

legionaire45
May 10th, 2008, 04:05 PM
Looks nice.

Do the UV square things need to be the same size on all parts?
http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g268/martynball/UVW_SAME_SIZE.jpg
Nope, you want the square things to be square and not distorted. Looks good for the most part although your way back looks like it might have a bit of distortion on it. I just woke up, so if I'm seeing things then yeah, I'm a retard xD.

Hunter
May 10th, 2008, 05:03 PM
Ok tweeked it a bit. I will do more tomorrow. g2g now.
http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g268/martynball/UVWRender.jpg

Con
May 10th, 2008, 05:09 PM
IMO you should try and keep all the squares evenly sized, or some parts will look lower/higher res than others.

Pooky
May 10th, 2008, 06:32 PM
IMO you should try and keep all the squares evenly sized, or some parts will look lower/higher res than others.

You mean like the Halo 1 needler? :gonk:

ItsMeTerror
May 10th, 2008, 07:54 PM
Hunter what effects are you talking about on my metal? Can you please be more specific.
Also contact me on aim if possible.

Gwunty
May 10th, 2008, 09:13 PM
Im modeling a new map, and I want crit as how I can make it look better ( I still need to add smoothing)
Any good?
Yhea that kinda sucked that this was the last thing posted on the last page :|

Llama Juice
May 10th, 2008, 09:41 PM
http://www.llamajuice.com/img/jessiedrawing.jpg

source
http://photos-c.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sf2p/v233/72/59/725122466/n725122466_585570_9580.jpg

trying to get better at shading... my camera (macbook webcam) sucks ass at getting the subtle highlights (cheeks, nose, forehead)... so.. yea...

Con
May 10th, 2008, 11:06 PM
I don't think shading is the only thing you need to work on. Seems rushed to me.

Bodzilla
May 10th, 2008, 11:14 PM
Proportions are wrong. :/

ExAm
May 11th, 2008, 12:52 AM
trying to get better at shading... my camera (macbook webcam) sucks ass at getting the subtle highlights (cheeks, nose, forehead)... so.. yea...Try not to outline your shadowed areas.

SnaFuBAR
May 11th, 2008, 01:30 AM
are you talking about Hunters skin or your own? *check sig

before you try and burn me, know what you're talking about. btw, a tiny render in my sig hardly relates how the texture was done. you keep trying to stick your nose into business you hardly understand, be it models or textures.

sooooo, shove it where the sun don't shine and keep ignorant posts to yourself.

Hunter, you're basing your metal off of a very poor tutorial, I've seen this one. it just doesn't work well as a base, especially a dark one. It looks like you're overlaying the brushed metal tutorial with render clouds filter and darken. You don't want to do that. Now that you've also added those brown splotches, it just looks like it was spackled with porta-potty fluids. :/ keep trying though. You might want to use soft edge brushes and manually paint some stuff, give that a try.

E: you don't need to do edge wear on every single edge. try to think of what surfaces would come into contact the most with other surfaces. Even those don't need to be worn all the way up and down. my point is that the edge wear is excessive, and is overworked.

Rob Oplawar
May 11th, 2008, 03:47 AM
you're so smart, snaf.

[/kissing ass]

DaneO'Roo
May 11th, 2008, 05:12 AM
Texture needs more soul. I can always tell which textures were made by love and which ones were made for the sake of being made.

Hunter
May 11th, 2008, 05:16 AM
How can I make a good scratch, like Brute nail, like you said on halomaps Dane?

DaneO'Roo
May 11th, 2008, 06:20 AM
Only when you stop looking, will you find.

Don't ask how. Asking me is just as futile as asking another. 1 simple word.

Do.

JunkfoodMan
May 11th, 2008, 06:29 AM
Only when you stop looking, will you find.

Don't ask how. Asking me is just as futile as asking another. 1 simple word.

Do.

:neckbeard:

rossmum
May 11th, 2008, 06:53 AM
Basically what Dane is saying is, experiment until you find something that feels right.

Hunter
May 11th, 2008, 07:03 AM
Why do people use riddles Lol.

I will do. How is this looking? Does the blackish part which sticks out look more realistic with the damage?

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g268/martynball/Texture4.jpg

DaneO'Roo
May 11th, 2008, 07:10 AM
It is looking pretty good, but the blue areas colour definition doesn't make much sense.

rossmum
May 11th, 2008, 07:23 AM
Looking pretty nice. You've come one hell of a long way, keep going and you might just be able to make a job out of this.

Hunter
May 11th, 2008, 07:28 AM
That's my aim. Lol.

SnaFuBAR
May 11th, 2008, 12:19 PM
i don't like it one bit. that ugly brushed metal base is showing too much. start over with a new base. this is one example of start wrong end wrong (if the brushed metal is not a separate layer). the texture would be decent if it weren't for that. it just looks overworked now and absolutely ruins it.

Sever
May 11th, 2008, 12:47 PM
It looks like it is made of dirty slate and stained concrete. Too bad Spikers aren't made of those materials...

JunkfoodMan
May 11th, 2008, 12:51 PM
I think it looks great.

Hunter
May 11th, 2008, 01:10 PM
http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g268/martynball/Texture6.jpg

ItsMeTerror
May 11th, 2008, 01:20 PM
Ah-maz-ing :D I love it, it's turning out for you being a beginner at texturing.

NuggetWarmer
May 11th, 2008, 01:52 PM
Needs moar blue.

Corndogman
May 11th, 2008, 01:55 PM
No. no more blue, it looks awesome the color it is now.

Apoc4lypse
May 11th, 2008, 05:40 PM
that ugly brushed metal base is showing too much.

I agree, the metal seems a little too brushed, like someone took some kind of tough steel wool and brushed it over the metal. Unless it was made like this when it was manufactured I can't think of many other ways for this to happen to metal other then to do it manually, or possibly from sand and decay (even with the sand/decay method, the streaks wouldn't be strait). I think the texture is pretty good (I'm not looking at the real spiker right now but as a whole it seems good other than the brushed metal look which is too prevalent). Fix the brushed metal and it'll make more sense, metal is hardly ever that strongly brushed looking.

I like it though, its very nice.

BobtheGreatII
May 11th, 2008, 11:25 PM
I think that the brushed metal looks just fine. I figure you find it on the battlefield, and it's pretty beat up from all of the use. I mean, a little imagination helps. The thing (for example if it was put in blood gulch) wouldn't look brand new.

Con
May 12th, 2008, 12:02 AM
idk what the hell this is, some sort of space fighter or something. I was bored and started drawing a random shape and wondered if I could make something out of it, so I did.

http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/4619/33375613hi7.jpg

E: Kinda looks like it should be a gallente ship from eve mb?

Rob Oplawar
May 12th, 2008, 12:06 AM
haha, nice, I like.
If I weren't already so completely overloaded with projects, I'd try modeling that for fun.

rossmum
May 12th, 2008, 04:13 AM
I like.

Reminds me of a Combine synth, actually...

LlamaMaster
May 12th, 2008, 11:27 AM
http://img508.imageshack.us/img508/5752/chickenstripsms9.jpg

I just felt like posting this here. (doesn't deserve a thread) The texturing is god-awful, but it was the best I could do within a short time frame. The render is pretty mediocre, but it still took overnight. :/ Also, yes, there is a golden "A" on the plate. (don't ask)

It's supposed to be chicken strips if you can't tell.

SnaFuBAR
May 12th, 2008, 12:16 PM
pretty decent there, connie!! perspective could use plenty of work but the design is interesting. the lines are also a bit scratchy and broken, but you're on the right track.

Con
May 12th, 2008, 06:51 PM
Llama, needs more nigra hand reaching for one :awesome:

Assault&Battery
May 12th, 2008, 07:02 PM
I could have sworn that that was a picture of a whole bunch of random pieces of plastic, until you said that it was a render and that they were chicken strips.

NuggetWarmer
May 12th, 2008, 09:13 PM
I thought they were fish sticks.

Con
May 12th, 2008, 11:26 PM
political comic for SS class
http://img440.imageshack.us/img440/5273/comiczn1.jpg
pardon me if it's historically inaccurate. TBH, I don't care :awesome:
we just started the unit, so whatever. go suck an lemon.

Rob Oplawar
May 13th, 2008, 11:05 PM
idgi. i fail at history.
no really, I literally do. :saddowns:

Sever
May 13th, 2008, 11:55 PM
I've done a tad bit more work on the crate, as to give it the ability to open. The top plates are on the same plane as the surrounding case, whereas the side plates are inset, and both of the two sets remain attached to the interior structure of the crate when the two side casings are removed. The top and bottom plates support the whole unsheathed apparatus which houses multiple smaller crates holding live and loaded munitions, and are flush with the casing's top and bottom to allow easy and safe attachment and detachment, while the two side plates contain the electronic user interface and shipping data, and are inset to prevent most damage to the already-sturdy military-grade hardware. I still have to model the individual weapons crates (and the seven highly-original and fully-planned weapons that they will contain) and the interior containment structure for the crate, but that will come in due time. I haven't been working much structurally on the intended map of late, but that is just because everything is fully planned and is just a matter of finishing the tedious work of connecting the floors to the ceilings and whatnot.

I still am looking for someone who is willing to do basic skinning and HEK work for the map, and possibly help me with weapon tags - I have a crapload of questions, since I plan on removing standard grenades and replacing their role with each weapon's individual and unique secondary-fire mode, and need to know what I will and won't be able to implement.

So, here's the pictures - there's not really much to show right now, but once I start with the interior and individual weapons crates it will seem a bit more functional. I still need to get a basic concept for the clamp-lift (futuristic forklift) and a few other landmark scenery items intended for the map.
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f87/sever323/Crate001.png
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f87/sever323/Crate002.png
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f87/sever323/Crate003.png

SnaFuBAR
May 14th, 2008, 12:29 AM
you've got a lot of non-planars on flat surfaces, namely the corner panels.

Pooky
May 14th, 2008, 06:53 AM
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f87/sever323/Crate003.png

What's this supposed to be, because it's incessantly reminding me of something that I don't remember what it is :(

Sever
May 14th, 2008, 07:45 AM
Snaf, its just the ugly standard lighting of gmax and the way it displays triangulation in non-triangulated editable-poly planes (the hexagon is one face, rather than six triangles). I've checked the math, and its just gmax's way of saying burn in hell i<3u. And pooky, it might remind you of the Cobb crates from H2, and more specifically Elongation. Other than that, I have no idea what you're thinking of, and am probably better off not knowing.

Hunter
May 14th, 2008, 10:56 AM
Looks good.

Masterz1337
May 14th, 2008, 03:50 PM
http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g268/martynball/Texture6.jpg
Spikers are a much lighter blue than that blueish grey look you have.

Corndogman
May 14th, 2008, 04:21 PM
I think you should keep it the same color it is now though, imo it looks better that the halo 3 spiker, which is much more blue. If your going for an exact recreation though, than yes, it needs to be more blue.

Hunter
May 14th, 2008, 04:29 PM
Better? ==>
http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g268/martynball/Texture77.jpg

BobtheGreatII
May 14th, 2008, 04:51 PM
I like where this gun is going. Now finish it mister! <:mad:>

Masterz1337
May 14th, 2008, 05:08 PM
Much.

Pooky
May 14th, 2008, 06:44 PM
Snaf, its just the ugly standard lighting of gmax and the way it displays triangulation in non-triangulated editable-poly planes (the hexagon is one face, rather than six triangles). I've checked the math, and its just gmax's way of saying burn in hell i<3u. And pooky, it might remind you of the Cobb crates from H2, and more specifically Elongation. Other than that, I have no idea what you're thinking of, and am probably better off not knowing.

Actually now that I think of it it's the crate that scanning crew from the original Star Wars had :U

Llama Juice
May 15th, 2008, 04:45 PM
http://www.llamajuice.com/img/head.jpg

http://www.llamajuice.com/img/headwire.jpg

http://www.llamajuice.com/img/headref_small.jpg

That's after hitting the meshsmooth, which... is what we're doing at the end of it all anyways... and what I'm always checking the model to see that it looks nice. The unsmoothed mesh looks like garbage because I'm building it to be smoothed eventually anyhow. Same with that body I showed earlier.

Also, <3 the 3 key in Maya 2K8. (Quick glance smooth... it's just like how NURBS is in Maya for... the few of you who have used maya...)

Tweek
May 15th, 2008, 05:00 PM
http://xs227.xs.to/xs227/08204/femalehead335.jpg

sorry to post this right after you llama, you just reminded me to post mine.

1x Meshsmoothe on a low poly, then worked from there, refining it by cutting, and moving individual verts
i think i made the top of the head just a bit too high, but it kinda looks weird because there's no hair there at all, which is propably the reason why it looks weird.

i made this based off a tutorial a friend of me made for me.

edit: man i really i wish i recorded the making of this.

NuggetWarmer
May 15th, 2008, 05:47 PM
Llama, your mesh is pretty good for a start, but the top of the head looks too large and the chin seems too pointy. EDIT: Also, Llama, the lips are too far down, and the little thing under the nose that leads to the lip is not wide enough. EDIT 2!: The nostrils look like blocks.

Tweek, fix that ear. :V

Con
May 15th, 2008, 06:00 PM
I'm amazed how you can model off of an asian guy for reference and the model looks like a black guy.

SnaFuBAR
May 15th, 2008, 08:44 PM
i was gonna say that.

Corndogman
May 15th, 2008, 09:46 PM
He looks like he has a suction cup around is mouth pulling it out. also, wheres the crazy Asian hair-do?

NuggetWarmer
May 15th, 2008, 09:49 PM
Unfinished, mb?

il Duce Primo
May 18th, 2008, 10:22 PM
http://img340.imageshack.us/img340/2930/streetconels5.jpg

SnaFuBAR
May 19th, 2008, 12:15 PM
not sure why a small object like that needs the hole in the top.

Patrickssj6
May 19th, 2008, 02:08 PM
does that cone glow in the dark? :v: srsly take off the bloom :p

Llama Juice
May 20th, 2008, 02:12 PM
http://www.llamajuice.com/img/face.jpg

http://www.llamajuice.com/img/face2.jpg

http://www.llamajuice.com/img/face3.jpg

Corndogman
May 20th, 2008, 02:20 PM
Ive never seen someone whose lips are so far away from his nose like that. everything else looks pretty good to me, but the lips are way off.

Llama Juice
May 20th, 2008, 02:36 PM
I know the lips look funny, but I matched them to my reference exactly.

http://www.llamajuice.com/img/facewire.jpg

This model is slightly older than the version I showed above. So there are a few slight changes since then (like ears). The mouth and nose haven't changed shape/location though.

Should I move it up anyway?

Anton
May 20th, 2008, 03:54 PM
Nose is too pointy. Flatten it a little bit, or widen the center/bridge *whatever it's called* Also, raise the mouth a little bit along with the chin to see what it looks like.

NuggetWarmer
May 20th, 2008, 05:35 PM
The ears are incredibly flat.

DOMINATOR
May 20th, 2008, 05:37 PM
the 'ball' part of the nose needs to be a lil wider and come down some. right now the nose is too feminine for a male. maybe move the bridge of the nose farther back to make the angle of the nose a little steeper. dunno
i also think the eyes need to go further back in the skull more. the shadow under the eye is too strong and makes it look like an alien.

itszutak
May 20th, 2008, 06:05 PM
The mouth sticks out a bit far, I think.

Llama Juice
May 20th, 2008, 07:44 PM
http://www.llamajuice.com/img/face5.jpg

I made the ear stick out more, but other than that all I did was throw it into 3ds and render it.

It looks less alien in 3ds to me for some reason (aside from the green eyes).

Bastinka
May 20th, 2008, 08:03 PM
Better? ==>
http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g268/martynball/Texture77.jpg
Sorry to quote the picture, but did you UVW by unwrapping the thing by yourself or is there something special you used, because I saw a picture with boxes that made me think theres some program now or something?

Please if you didn't use Texporter or whatever, what did you use? I've been trying to texture but it's a bitch to UVW manually :[

NuggetWarmer
May 20th, 2008, 08:46 PM
He unwrapped it. Those blocks are used for making sure the UVs are correct...

Roostervier
May 20th, 2008, 09:55 PM
Yeah, when editing the UVs, you can click the down arrow on the drop box in the corner of the window thing, and click the checkered texture, or w/e.

Con
May 20th, 2008, 10:41 PM
map idea:

http://img122.imageshack.us/img122/4545/90297281hj3.jpg

The big blank space is for the base

jngrow
May 20th, 2008, 10:58 PM
Any good?

Well, it looks a lot like that one part in "The Ark".

NuggetWarmer
May 20th, 2008, 11:36 PM
That's what it's supposed to look like. What's the problem with that?

jngrow
May 20th, 2008, 11:56 PM
That's what it's supposed to look like. What's the problem with that?

Haha no, if that's what he's going for, great. If he's going for exact remake, he's missing that little cavern system. Regardless, looks pretty cool.

e: Cons, that looks awesome.

Anton
May 21st, 2008, 07:20 PM
map idea:

IMAGE!

That would be great :O

<3 u.

- Edit -

Now that I talked to you on AIM and you gave me a better mental image of what it would look like, I'm really liking the idea.

DOMINATOR
May 22nd, 2008, 10:38 PM
http://www.llamajuice.com/img/face5.jpg

I made the ear stick out more, but other than that all I did was throw it into 3ds and render it.

It looks less alien in 3ds to me for some reason (aside from the green eyes).

the face is too flat. im telling you push the eyes back a little and pull the cheek bones out some. it looks like an alien because of the bottom eye lid/shadow makes the eyes stick out.

Limited
May 22nd, 2008, 10:45 PM
Nice one Zeph :) Is that like a door way pretty much centre of the image?

Boba
May 22nd, 2008, 11:12 PM
map idea:

http://img122.imageshack.us/img122/4545/90297281hj3.jpg

You should call it... Geomar.

Bad Waffle
May 22nd, 2008, 11:32 PM
hey tweek, mind posting the tut your friend made? i really need to get better at faces and the like.

rossmum
May 23rd, 2008, 03:25 AM
the face is too flat. im telling you push the eyes back a little and pull the cheek bones out some. it looks like an alien because of the bottom eye lid/shadow makes the eyes stick out.
Also, the nose is out of proportion.

Gwunty
May 23rd, 2008, 10:55 AM
Haha no, if that's what he's going for, great. If he's going for exact remake, he's missing that little cavern system. Regardless, looks pretty cool.

e: Cons, that looks awesome.
Acctually im going for a multiplayer version of that area, with a few things modified.

DaneO'Roo
May 23rd, 2008, 09:51 PM
http://img86.imageshack.us/img86/3897/saflatbastardaw4.jpg

Random Idea my girlfriend had.

I lol'd

Amit
May 23rd, 2008, 10:56 PM
I made these a while back but I don't think I ever posted them.

Fire System
http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h262/amit9821/firesystem.jpg

Sun Embers
http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h262/amit9821/sunembers-2.jpg

I made this C&C GDI logo for my Clan in the game NavyField:

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h262/amit9821/GDI.jpg

This is what it looks like ingame:

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h262/amit9821/GDIscreen.jpg

I guess I added too much detail since the colours seem to be slurred together. Suggestions on how to improve the image at 20x20 pixels?

rossmum
May 24th, 2008, 04:36 AM
Looks good in higher res, dunno how you'd make it look much better that low though.

Sig backgrounds are nice too, but not a fan of the text.

Patrickssj6
May 24th, 2008, 06:31 AM
Sig backgrounds are nice too, but not a fan of the text.
^

Also, to make it look better a tiny bit, cut off the black parts from the right and the bottom.

Chainsy
May 24th, 2008, 07:47 AM
Concept.
http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x20/cartsizzle/arc2.jpg

Sel
May 24th, 2008, 08:47 AM
Thats a pretty nice errection you have there.

Reaper Man
May 24th, 2008, 09:09 AM
So I tried making a simple logo for my site, crit please. (can't choose between the three/other ideas welcome)
E: Spoiler'd older designs, replaced with more logical one. (still want crit(
http://img368.imageshack.us/img368/7319/feignphotographyalt4tb3.jpg

http://img406.imageshack.us/img406/664/photographylogopreviewlq5.jpg
Alt version:
http://img406.imageshack.us/img406/6121/photographylogoalternatis4.jpg
2nd but probably obsolete alt
http://img406.imageshack.us/img406/189/feignphotographyalt2zm2.jpg (spoiler'd since post was getting a bit long)

Patrickssj6
May 24th, 2008, 09:43 AM
@ that art thing
Looks like that map from ejburke...with more penis.

@reaper
I like the black one in the spoiler tags. But I think it's kinda complex for a logo don't you think?

This is the logo for my site: (Vivid Abstractions)

http://www.vivid-abstractions.com/OldVA/VA3_res.png

Reaper Man
May 24th, 2008, 10:00 AM
@reaper
I like the black one in the spoiler tags. But I think it's kinda complex for a logo don't you think?
Post updated.

Also, your logo seems a bit too simple.. The rounded edges of the outline don't look that great, try setting the stroke to "inside"

Llama Juice
May 24th, 2008, 10:21 AM
@ reaper

The simplicity of your logo coupled with
http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:NYfgCQKhmOhOxM:http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/e/ee/Aperture_Science.svg/512px-Aperture_Science.svg.png
makes me just think of Portal. I read "Photography" and it still makes me think of Portal.

I get that it's supposed to be a aperture of a camera but... i'd try to stay away from things that people have strong relations to. I'd see your logo and forget about what you're about and just start talking about Portal.

Likewise.. Photoshop's new logo...
http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:gNpbL3scv6UeTM:http://www.martijndevisser.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2007/09/photoshop_detail.gif

made me think of the horror that is realplayer
http://www.isaacazose.com/logo_realplayer.jpg

Sure it's a bit of a stretch when you put them side by side but it has that relation. When designing a logo you want something that when seen makes you think of what it's representing. Realplayer obviously did a good job with their logo back in the day to make me think of them when I see the photoshop one, likewise with aperture science's logo.

Then again your target audience probably is people who haven't even played Portal.. .but... just some things to think about.

Reaper Man
May 24th, 2008, 10:25 AM
Hmm, well, the Aperture Science logo was taken from just that, an aperture. Aperture = related to camera. But I see what you mean.

SnaFuBAR
May 24th, 2008, 10:31 AM
Concept.
http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x20/cartsizzle/arc2.jpg

yeah try again with some definition. it's just a bunch of scratchy lines.

rossmum
May 24th, 2008, 11:29 AM
Thats a pretty nice errection you have there.
that's a pretty nice shitpost you have there

yeah try again with some definition. it's just a bunch of scratchy lines.
this

Sel
May 24th, 2008, 05:01 PM
that's a pretty nice shitpost you have there

It wasnt a shitpost, thats what it looked like :|

Llama Juice
May 24th, 2008, 05:21 PM
Yea, I was wondering what that was supposed to be as well. Selentic summed it up pretty well though.

SnaFuBAR
May 24th, 2008, 06:26 PM
also don't try to add strong shadows if you don't have the first clue how to plot from a light source.

Con
May 24th, 2008, 06:53 PM
It wasnt a shitpost, thats what it looked like :|
Didn't stop me from slapping an "unconstructive" infraction on it.

That's what it looked like :|

Rob Oplawar
May 24th, 2008, 11:48 PM
at least it was on topic... all the posts calling it a shitpost are less on topic than the shitpost.

[/shitpost]

Snowy
May 26th, 2008, 12:53 AM
I'm a noob at this, be nice

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y37/snowysnowcones/screen1.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y37/snowysnowcones/screen2-1.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y37/snowysnowcones/screen3.jpg

NuggetWarmer
May 26th, 2008, 01:25 AM
IZ DAT SUM FRAID CHIKKINZ?

Where are the handles on the cabinets?

rossmum
May 26th, 2008, 02:58 AM
at least it was on topic... all the posts calling it a shitpost are less on topic than the shitpost.

[/shitpost]
fyi my post was ontopic because I agreed with Snaf's crit

Also, @ Snowy - I'm no render expert so I don't have the first clue how to go about improving that, but it could definitely use work. Plus the aforementioned lack of handles. Sink looks a little impractical in terms of position, size, and shape, too.

Anton
May 26th, 2008, 03:31 AM
Everything looks to short. I don't think I've ever met a family that short ...ever. Try scaling everything up (along the z (your height, if your using z as the height)).

Also what renderer are you using? Mental ray, Vray, scanline, other? What light sources, and do your textures have specular, bump/normal, etc?

Just questions.

D: ppl hate me.

Corndogman
May 26th, 2008, 09:54 AM
He doesnt need handles for his cabinets, he opens them with telekinesis.

try using a higher resolution for the render, the edges need to be sharper. and remember to shot tag them.

ExAm
May 26th, 2008, 10:55 AM
He doesnt need handles for his cabinets, he opens them with telekinesis.

try using a higher resolution for the render, the edges need to be sharper. and remember to shot tag them.Some cabinets, and I like this, have a handle inlaid into the bottom of the door. Makes 'em look sleeker.

Llama Juice
May 26th, 2008, 11:58 AM
That counter's corners look atrocious.

Put some thickness to them so that when a child runs by he doesn't get impaled by the counter.

Rob Oplawar
May 26th, 2008, 12:47 PM
dammit llama, you beat me to it. I was already composing an obituary featuring the words "disemboweled by a kitchen counter"

Con
May 26th, 2008, 06:04 PM
Aside from the obvious modeling mistakes, you don't seem to have a plan of action for this kitchen. It looks half modern and half like my grandma's old kitchen. Look up pictures of kitchens and try to copy one.

Bastinka
May 26th, 2008, 06:34 PM
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o290/SilentWindPL/silents_ui-1.jpg
Working on a Custom WoW ui, or if I feel like it, flip it horizontally and edit a few things and call it a website template.

Sel
May 26th, 2008, 07:07 PM
Im doing greek architecture for some summitive, and working on my reference picture abilites, I was about halfway in before I looked closer, and the uplclose was completely different than the far away view that I was modelling this off of :|

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l42/selentic/imaekgreekpillaarrrrrrhhhhh-1.jpg

Roostervier
May 26th, 2008, 07:17 PM
Looks like you were originally going for an Ionic column... amirite?

Monopoly
May 26th, 2008, 07:18 PM
Those indents are incorrect, they should resemble that of an inverted hemisphere. The top and bottom look very basic as well, none of the cool swirly/leave things are present, but lots of people model pillars as you did.

Roostervier
May 26th, 2008, 07:36 PM
Those indents are incorrect, they should resemble that of an inverted hemisphere. The top and bottom look very basic as well, none of the cool swirly/leave things are present, but lots of people model pillars as you did.
Well, not everyone is modeling a Corinthian style column. You have to take into account that there is more than one style. Doric is extremely basic, Ionic is in the middle of the three styles, and Corinthian is the style with pretty leaves and is very ornate. Ionic is the type I'd expect most people to model as it looks nice but isn't overly complex.

Sel
May 26th, 2008, 07:36 PM

Its doric, ionic is a lot more interesting, and harder to model D:

Roostervier
May 26th, 2008, 07:37 PM
Oh shit, I wondered why you didn't have the tops curve down and stuff. Guess I was wrong. D:

Tweek
May 27th, 2008, 07:46 AM
decided to do some more work on the character i'm building.

i really hated the shoulderpads i had, so i reworked them.

old:http://xs225.xs.to/xs225/08131/dragonshoulders460.jpg
new:http://xs127.xs.to/xs127/08222/char836.jpg
it's not a very greeat render, hard to see the surface dirtections here.

and really, ignore the chest armor, it's like the first part i made, but i'm going to redo that entirely, i don't know why i haven't deleted it yet actually.

also started on the boots.

http://xs127.xs.to/xs127/08222/boots371.jpg
http://xs127.xs.to/xs127/08222/boots-wire978.jpg
the "teeth" on the back of the boot are really just placeholder there, i'll make them fit properly, and integrate them into the boot, right now, they're really just sitting there, looking good.
there's something wrong with the heel there, but i can't really put my figner on it.

Sel
May 27th, 2008, 08:11 AM
LOLCLEVAGE.

based of AD lul?

Really nice.

Llama Juice
May 27th, 2008, 10:51 AM
I don't understand how those boots would work.. the front of the ankle there would stab into the shin...... that is assuming that is a hard surface on the boots...

Tweek
May 27th, 2008, 11:06 AM
so?

rossmum
May 27th, 2008, 12:31 PM
Fantasy shit doesn't have to make sense.

Llama Juice
May 27th, 2008, 02:05 PM
Well if he was planning on rigging it... when the character were to lean forward it'd be in great pain.

I'm not here to argue, just saw something that looked odd and pointed it out. That's essentially the point of the thread right? Constructive criticism?

Anyhow...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v287/letshavetea/full_body.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v287/letshavetea/upper.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v287/letshavetea/legs.jpg

Roostervier
May 27th, 2008, 02:08 PM
The head seems rather large for the body. :\

Also, his shoulders seem a little thin... then again that's how he could look anyway, even if I don't like it.

Tweek
May 27th, 2008, 02:44 PM
Well if he was planning on rigging it... when the character were to lean forward it'd be in great pain.
i am going to rig it, as it's going to be a UT3 character, and stuff will intersect propably, but i won't give a shit :downs:

I'm not here to argue, just saw something that looked odd and pointed it out. That's essentially the point of the thread right? Constructive criticism?

entirely correct sir, i just chose to ignore it, as i had already come to similar conclusions, and decided i didn't give a shit :downs:

NuggetWarmer
May 27th, 2008, 03:26 PM
The hands seem really flat and the head is huge, Llama.

TeeKup
May 27th, 2008, 04:52 PM
Looks like a small child.

rossmum
May 27th, 2008, 05:33 PM
PANCAEK HANDS

Proportions need some serious revision.

Llama Juice
May 27th, 2008, 06:17 PM
That's what I don't understand. He's 6.5 heads tall where he should be like 7.5... but everything matches up to the reference image perfectly..... I don't understand why it looks so funny.

http://www.llamajuice.com/img/hongo.jpg

The bottom of the arms don't line up on purpose... the one on the left has the sag from his arms hanging down, I didn't put that in because he won't be standing in a T pose when I do my final pose/render of him....

Is it just that HE looks funny?