PDA

View Full Version : In my head there is problem...

legionaire45
February 9th, 2007, 02:51 AM
and that problem name is focus!

Meh, I generally dont like informing the world of my problems, but right now I have a semi-big issue. Not sure if its just my ADD finally getting the better of me or not, but I have the hardest time actually doing homework when I get home. Having a C average is not good, and as a new semester has already started I currently already have missing assignments. Anyone have any tips on how to actually have self-control? xD im sure that sounds pretty bad.

rossmum
February 9th, 2007, 02:55 AM
None at all, I'm just as bad when it comes to staying on task ._.

n00b1n8R
February 9th, 2007, 03:09 AM
promise yourself a treat after doing work?

idk. i'm a good student anyways :P

Limited
February 9th, 2007, 11:27 AM
C isnt good??

Only word of advice from me is try some work, then have a proper stop at a certain time, try to do some ting physical though if you've been doing mental thinking for homework. This should help get rid of some of your energy thats just itching to escape :)

itszutak
February 9th, 2007, 01:42 PM
promise yourself a treat after doing work?

BAD idea. Promising yourself rewards later only leads to daydreaming, IMHO.

Legionaire, I had the same problems you had, and here are a few tips I used to pay attention.

1) Write down EVERYTHING. It may sound stupid, but if you keep writing what the teacher's saying, you pay attention better and you can always review what you may have forgotten.

2)Learn to write fast; I suggest using arrows and rmving as mny vwls as psbl, as wl as shrtnig wrds so you can understand what you wrote; this way, you won't have to worry about not writing as fast as the teacher is talking.

3) Eat a large breakfast. Nothing drains attention more then the gaping emptiness of hunger. (Try to eat healthy stuff; fast food and junk food is pretty much all air. Won't last for long.)

Good luck!

(I was diagnosed for ADD once. Turned out to just be a crappy doctor. >_>)

EDIT: Also, with homework, DO NOT do something, even something small, like 5 mins on the computer or a light snack, beforehand. You'll end up putting it off and off until it's almost too late to do your work.

mR_r0b0to
February 9th, 2007, 02:14 PM
take off the ethernet cord.

n00b1n8R
February 9th, 2007, 03:26 PM
^N00000000000000ES!!!!!

but itszutak won.

Pooky
February 9th, 2007, 03:32 PM
Also, with homework, DO NOT do something, even something small, like 5 mins on the computer or a light snack, beforehand. You'll end up putting it off and off until it's completely too late to do your work.

I do that SO much... >.<

rossmum
February 9th, 2007, 07:59 PM
I do that SO much... >.<
I do that TOO much. >.<

Leiukemia
February 9th, 2007, 08:27 PM
Less pron... But seriously, try some physical workouts. I'm not talking about "oo, I ran for half an hour yesterday, oo". I mean actually go pick up a set of weights, and workout out for at least an hour. This'll get you in the mindset of "I can do it". Physical work also clears the mind, and can keep you from thinking about the next post on h2vista.

rossmum
February 9th, 2007, 08:31 PM
I have an aversion to effort.

I'm also a natural post whore, so making the next post is impossible to clear from my mind. :D

legionaire45
February 9th, 2007, 11:51 PM
EDIT: Also, with homework, DO NOT do something, even something small, like 5 mins on the computer or a light snack, beforehand. You'll end up putting it off and off until it's almost too late to do your work.

that seems to be my biggest issue right there. My school posts all its homework online. kind of hard not to just click the little link to GBX/H2V xD. I'll keep all of those suggestions in mind for sure, thanks.

I have an aversion to effort.

I'm also a natural post whore, so making the next post is impossible to clear from my mind. :D

more or less same here, although I post far less then you xD.

mech
February 10th, 2007, 12:00 AM
Turn your computer off.

While doing homework: I wonder what the guys had to say about my problem.

O hey this looks cool!

homework done done 6 hours later.

ExAm
February 10th, 2007, 05:03 PM
Give yourself a schedule, write it down on a sheet of paper, and put some time aside to do homework, when you shut yourself away from all distractions. If you have an MP3 player or CD player, play some wordless music. Always helps me.

rossmum
February 10th, 2007, 06:35 PM
Any music helps me work.

legionaire45
February 10th, 2007, 08:01 PM
Give yourself a schedule, write it down on a sheet of paper, and put some time aside to do homework, when you shut yourself away from all distractions. If you have an MP3 player or CD player, play some wordless music. Always helps me.

I'll give that a try. I have to share a room with my brother who is a noisy fuck so it should help.

Mr Buckshot
February 10th, 2007, 09:56 PM
I'm a good student. I always got 7 A's and a C or a B in PE in high school. Now that I'm in the IB program, I dropped to 5 A's and 3 B's, but I continue to work hard.

Remove your video card and lock it up to prevent gaming from distracting you.

a C average? not good. Most gamers on =EP= forums are academically smart.

Stealth
February 10th, 2007, 10:26 PM
Hey, are you lossing focus and room full of people talking, or a room that is so quite, that you can here every pin drop with in a mile.
some people do better when there is some back ground noise, and others like it dead quite, Me, I'm the kind that'll sit there, and have some music going, and I'll do 25% better then what I was doing with back ground noise, but put me in a dead quite room, and... well I just can't keep focus, it is too quite for me, I can stand some people talking, but when it is dead quite, that is just nervewracking, it drives me crazy.

Reaper Man
February 10th, 2007, 10:50 PM
It's been proven that playing violent video games physically alters your brain so that you have less self control.

Stealth
February 10th, 2007, 10:55 PM
lol, never heard that.

ExAm
February 10th, 2007, 10:59 PM
What happened to my post?
Anyways,
I've actually gained more self control since I started gaming. Go figure...

rossmum
February 10th, 2007, 11:12 PM
It's been proven that playing violent video games physically alters your brain so that you have less self control.
My ass it has.

Leiukemia
February 10th, 2007, 11:22 PM
What happened to my post?
Anyways,
I've actually gained more self control since I started gaming. Go figure...

Tell that to the dead homeless person in your trunk.

ExAm
February 11th, 2007, 12:05 AM
There's no body in my trunk.

EDIT: Wait, there is. Nevermind. >_>

legionaire45
February 11th, 2007, 01:38 AM

You know, my GPA actually started going downhill around the time I built my first computer and got Halo =X. Then it was serially raped by RS when I used to play that. LOL I WAZ A LVL 80 MINER LOL IT REALLY HELPS ME NOW! FUCK YOU JAGEX! FOR RUINING MY LIFE!

*straightens tie and goes back to being serious*

I'll give some of those suggestions a try later. I told my brother to STFU (yelled it at him) when he started bellowing out some ZZ Top and Nirvana (the ultimate suffering....), so maybe he will keep quiet for now.

rossmum
February 11th, 2007, 02:21 AM
I actually have more self control since I've started being an FPS whore... OK, so not as far as school goes, but I still get more work done now than I used to. So that "proof" is bull. :)

Reaper Man
February 11th, 2007, 03:42 AM
I've pretty much stopped playing computer games, and I've noticed that I'm much calmer now. So stfu ross >:U

legionaire45
February 11th, 2007, 04:50 AM
you know what, fuck this thread, i'm going to go play some GTA.

hope you notice the irony in light of recent posts...

rossmum
February 11th, 2007, 05:13 AM
I've pretty much stopped playing computer games, and I've noticed that I'm much calmer now. So stfu ross >:U
Shut up, "I conform with poorly-conducted and biased 'scientific' studies" boy. :p