PDA

View Full Version : Steam - Updating...

Agamemnon
February 9th, 2007, 09:26 PM
3% and...

*3 hours later*

3%

Is it always this bad when it comes to updating Steaming pile of crap?

Limited
February 9th, 2007, 09:30 PM
Weird, I just started steam to check and it took about 15 seconds to download, it then said to restart steam..

Agamemnon
February 9th, 2007, 09:33 PM
Well, I'm about to bomb their corporate offices. This piece of shit keeps on crashing for no odd reason.

rossmum
February 9th, 2007, 09:34 PM
It never gives me trouble. :|

Ok, it has once... but I just needed to restart it.

Agamemnon
February 9th, 2007, 09:35 PM
I'll give that a try then.

Agamemnon
February 9th, 2007, 09:46 PM
Nope! Sorry, still a Steaming pile of shit. Seriously. You don't even understand how much this pisses me off. If you're ever in the neighborhood of GameFAQs.com check out the review for Half-Life 2; you'll find that I wrote one and the score is seriously affected by Steam.

k4is3rxkh40s
February 9th, 2007, 10:33 PM
My half life source is perma-frozen at 3% >.> It wont update past it at all.

Pooky
February 9th, 2007, 10:35 PM
Nope! Sorry, still a Steaming pile of shit. Seriously. You don't even understand how much this pisses me off. If you're ever in the neighborhood of GameFAQs.com check out the review for Half-Life 2; you'll find that I wrote one and the score is seriously affected by Steam.

Steam gives me a lot of trouble, but it's never anything I can't fix by restarting it then telling it what a miserable little failure it is

rossmum
February 10th, 2007, 01:59 AM
Maybe your local Steam content servers suck?

WhÎþLå§h ÐÆmØÑ
February 10th, 2007, 02:12 AM
Yeah, I have no problems with Steam, but of course they are only a couple miles away.

rossmum
February 10th, 2007, 02:32 AM
They're a couple of thousand away for me, and I haven't had any serious issues.

Jelly
February 10th, 2007, 07:30 AM
Yeah, I have no problems with Steam, but of course they are only a couple miles away.

So you can go over there and ask them what's wrong?

mR_r0b0to
February 10th, 2007, 07:49 AM
reinstall?

Syuusuke
February 10th, 2007, 08:10 AM
Clean up the Steaming pile of shit?

You'll need a lot of people for that =)

Agamemnon
February 10th, 2007, 10:34 AM
Right now I'm not sure what to do. I don't see why I would have to reinstall, considering the problem is Steam, and after you've bought $70 worth of software that needs Steam to run, you can imagine how pissed off one can be. I've asked at their forums but they claim it to be a problem on my side, saying "your firewall is conflicting with updates." I'm sure it would be, if it was on during updates, but since it wasn't, I highly doubt that. Others suggest that it's some other damn complex problem where I must root out complex errors and move this and that in a remote file folder and then...Well, you get the picture.

NO ONE should EVER have to go into any system folder to fix a God damn program that is "supposedly" to simplify things like downloads and updates. Not a single damn person. Why should I, after not touching a single damn Valve/Steam file, also suffer such user support? "DER, it must be your problem. There are 548,692 different possibilities; all can be found within our 6,982 FAQs. Good luck."

Where's a middle finger smilie when you want one.

CN3089
February 10th, 2007, 11:45 AM
Never had a problem with it. Steam is awesome. http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c251/CN3089/Emoticons/emot-neckbeard.gif

Atty
February 10th, 2007, 02:34 PM
My only problems with Steam are fixed with an easy 3 second restart. :|

I_Am_Error117
February 10th, 2007, 02:44 PM
Sounds like your screwed.

Like everyone else said I wuld just reninstall I mean how long could that take?

Atty
February 10th, 2007, 03:09 PM
Sounds like your screwed.

Like everyone else said I wuld just reninstall I mean how long could that take?Depending on how many games he has, a long time.

I_Am_Error117
February 10th, 2007, 03:17 PM
So how does steam work I've been looking at it for a couple days.....

Agamemnon
February 10th, 2007, 03:42 PM
Depending on how many games he has, a long time.
Half-Life 2: Single Player
Half-Life 2: Multi Player
Counter-Strike: Source
Half-Life: Source
Half-Life 2: The Lost Coast
Half-Life 2: Episode 1
Garry's Mod

Yeah, it wasn't exactly a picnic.

So how does steam work
At random intervals, the server performs a random action, such as quiting unexpectedly, not working, downloading false updates, and telling you that you don't own the games you've bought. Most of the times it doesn't work at all.

n00b1n8R
February 10th, 2007, 05:00 PM
steams been fucking up on me lately >.>

CSS has just been crashing out of the blue >:(

CN3089
February 10th, 2007, 05:15 PM
At random intervals, the server performs a random action, such as quiting unexpectedly, not working, downloading false updates, and telling you that you don't own the games you've bought. Most of the times it doesn't work at all.

Well, there's only one explanation.

Champ hacked it.

Champ
February 10th, 2007, 05:19 PM
sry i hacked ur computer

just reformat everything will be alright.

Pooky
February 10th, 2007, 05:20 PM

I got that one once, told me I didn't own a single one of my 8 games. I got so pissed off at them I actually got a new CD key

Agamemnon
February 10th, 2007, 05:41 PM
To CN3089 and Champ: Can't you fondle each other only at GBH? You kids are too funny.

CN3089
February 10th, 2007, 05:46 PM
I'm sorry but a Champ hacking is nothing to joke about, you should really reformat your computer.

Champ
February 10th, 2007, 05:49 PM
To CN3089 and Champ: Can't you fondle each other only at GBH? You kids are too funny.
sry but i do my fondling in public :XD:

WhÎþLå§h ÐÆmØÑ
February 10th, 2007, 05:56 PM
Champ, CN, stop.

Limited
February 10th, 2007, 06:11 PM
Some one I know got banned from a game he didnt even have...

rossmum
February 10th, 2007, 06:13 PM
Right now I'm not sure what to do. I don't see why I would have to reinstall, considering the problem is Steam, and after you've bought $70 worth of software that needs Steam to run, you can imagine how pissed off one can be. I've asked at their forums but they claim it to be a problem on my side, saying "your firewall is conflicting with updates." I'm sure it would be, if it was on during updates, but since it wasn't, I highly doubt that. Others suggest that it's some other damn complex problem where I must root out complex errors and move this and that in a remote file folder and then...Well, you get the picture.

NO ONE should EVER have to go into any system folder to fix a God damn program that is "supposedly" to simplify things like downloads and updates. Not a single damn person. Why should I, after not touching a single damn Valve/Steam file, also suffer such user support? "DER, it must be your problem. There are 548,692 different possibilities; all can be found within our 6,982 FAQs. Good luck."

Where's a middle finger smilie when you want one.
Has your modem got an inbuilt firewall, or is that off too?

My only problems with Steam are fixed with an easy 3 second restart. :|
Same.

Agamemnon
February 10th, 2007, 07:58 PM
No, the modem doesn't have a built-in firewall. I'll probably uninstall when I get around to it. If that doesn't work, then I'll probably just download a crack to play the games without Steam.

Agamemnon
February 11th, 2007, 04:07 PM
Well, by some profound miracle, it finally decided to work and is downloading the updates to the games now. Topic closed.