PDA

View Full Version : [WIP] Sentinel Interceptor Mk II

TeeKup
May 3rd, 2008, 07:53 PM
Whenever I would go play Halo campaign, I would look at the sentinels and think "these things really aren't that efficient." So I began to brainstorm. I looked at many drones from many games, until finally I focused around 3:

The Pirate Drone from Metroid Prime.

The Dragoon Pod from Gundam Seed.

The last is actually an AI program, the Mobile Doll OS from Gundam Wing.

I designed my new sentinel to have 2 combat functions. The first function it would dodge in and out of fire spasticlly like Dragoon pod while firing in volleys. It's second function was to roll horizontal, envelope its stabilizer in an energy field and attack its target accordingly. When it was not in combat mode, it would patrol assigned area's slowly and cautiously much like the Pirate Drone. If it sighted a target, it would immediately lock down the entire area and summon more. Finally, the sentinel will review every battle its been through, constantly learning new strategies into its combat sub-routines, like the Mobile Doll OS.

I called it, the Sentinel Interceptor.
http://img225.imageshack.us/img225/4161/sentinelinterceptorkl7.png

This is the refined design after my very first one long ago. As is painfully obvious is the lack of detail. I plan on adding more views and detailing in the next few days.

Reaper Man
May 3rd, 2008, 08:09 PM
This is the refined design after my very first one long ago. As is painfully obvious is the lack of detail. I plan on adding more views and detailing in the next few days.
Really needs this. Nice idea though.

TeeKup
May 3rd, 2008, 08:11 PM
This is the Mk I.
http://img107.imageshack.us/img107/4148/interceptor8bw.png

Bodzilla
May 3rd, 2008, 08:38 PM
God dam this forum.
i read the title as Sexual Innuendo. :/

Needs more work mate. Mb try your hand at shading to get some better depth perception.

TeeKup
May 3rd, 2008, 09:24 PM
The Interceptor has been updated.
http://img398.imageshack.us/img398/1520/sentinelinterceptor001nc4.png
http://img73.imageshack.us/img73/3858/sentinelfronthd3.png

I think I need to clarify the propulsion system along with the shielding.

The Interceptor relies on a small gravity well generator which is funneled into 2 small emitters. The emitters in-turn become Distortion Field Emitters (much like the Nadesico); can be seen on the rear of the Interceptor. When engaged, a field is projected around the sentinel that distorts anything and everything that comes in contact with said barrier, ultimately changing the course of any projectile. The gravity well generator can emit small pulses in any given direction which gives the Interceptors ability to act like the Dragoon Pods.

Reaper Man
May 3rd, 2008, 09:30 PM
Much better, start modeling mb?

Sel
May 3rd, 2008, 09:33 PM
Looks nice.

itszutak
May 3rd, 2008, 10:26 PM
I C Marathon symbol.

<3

Pooky
May 3rd, 2008, 11:07 PM
Is there any way with Halo's AI to have it actually lock down the doors?

Zeph
May 4th, 2008, 12:43 AM
Efficient? You dont know any of the underlying technologies that go together to give a sentinel the ability to fly and you're talking about how efficient it is? In turn, you seemingly remove the turret abilities of a sentinel which allows it a high field of fire without moving and replace it with what appear to be static weapon points?

You know, there's a reason that all frequency based weaponry deployed by the military is set on a turret. Moving on to your Gundam Wing reference, the laser beams used by the mobile dolls aren't welded onto the frame. They're set on turrets (the arms).

TeeKup
May 4th, 2008, 09:36 AM
Efficient? You dont know any of the underlying technologies that go together to give a sentinel the ability to fly and you're talking about how efficient it is? In turn, you seemingly remove the turret abilities of a sentinel which allows it a high field of fire without moving and replace it with what appear to be static weapon points?

You know, there's a reason that all frequency based weaponry deployed by the military is set on a turret. Moving on to your Gundam Wing reference, the laser beams used by the mobile dolls aren't welded onto the frame. They're set on turrets (the arms).

The normal Sentinel is slow moving and slow to react. To me, thats inefficient. Concerning the turret, I could continue to add onto the design and place a turret somewhere on its body, although I might had to move the vertical blades. Although I really don't think it needs it. The interceptor is designed to when it encounters potential targets, 20+ other Interceptors immediately swarm the area locking onto their own targets. The power yield of the Interceptor weaponry allows it to eliminate its targets far faster than the normal sentinel, letting it move to other targets faster. Should the Interceptor be forced onto one target for a set amount of time, its Distortion field will protect it from any projectile. I have a good idea for a type of turret that is like a mix between a Phase bank and a phase strip from star trek. Trying to implement that as we speak.

I really don't think you even read my post, I used the Mobile Doll reference for the intellect of the Interceptors AI system, nothing external about it. Yes their arms are technically turrets but I never referenced the Mobile Dolls in that fashion.

The last is actually an AI program, the Mobile Doll OS from Gundam Wing.
Finally, the sentinel will review every battle its been through, constantly learning new strategies into its combat sub-routines, like the Mobile Doll OS.
Is there any way with Halo's AI to have it actually lock down the doors?
Probably not, that effect would be used for Machinma purposes only.