PDA

View Full Version : 3ds Max Student's License?

augie_doggy
February 10th, 2007, 08:45 PM
I want to buy 3ds Max, but the price for the commercial version is obviously too high. I've been playing with the idea of buying one for academic use, but I just need more info. I'm in grade 11, so I already know that I'll qualify for most site's discounts (I saw a lot of grade K-12 eligibility). I just want to know, if I buy a perpetually licensed academic version, will the license ever run out? I know that perpetual means "forever," but hey, I can't be a student forever. And, I'm thinking about getting a new PC, and I'm guessing you'd need another activation key to install it on another PC. So, should I wait for that PC?

Zeph
February 10th, 2007, 11:36 PM
academic use means college ID.

Chewy Gumball
February 11th, 2007, 01:17 AM
Not really. Just prove you are a student and you can get it. You can move it to different pcs with the license mover program, so you don't have to wait. It should last forever, just remember you can't use it for commercial use so you may not want to get a perpetual one.

legionaire45
February 11th, 2007, 01:34 AM
I got Max 8 + Max 9 Student license off of Academic Superstore a little while ago for $650. Thats the full life long license. I'm sure that you get to keep it forever, but if you try to make any money off there work and they catch you they technically can revoke your license. Which is why when I finish my game its going to be free xD. /DNF

augie_doggy
February 11th, 2007, 10:56 AM
Thanks guys, that helps a lot. But now I have a new question: license mover program?

Chewy Gumball
February 11th, 2007, 11:04 AM
Ya, I'm not sure what its called, its like PLU or something. It creates a file that you move from one computer to another and it moves the license. The old computer won't have a license any more.

legionaire45
February 12th, 2007, 08:44 PM
I've installed my copy of 3DS on two differant machines at different times because the mobo on one died and haven't had any issues whatsoever.

Chewy Gumball
February 13th, 2007, 08:48 PM
I had a complete windows blow up, had to reformat my drive, and I reinstalled having no license problems either.