• XBox 360 Update: USB Flash Support!

News to me, but it seems that XBox LIVE just recently published a system update. This update allows you to use any USB flash drive between 1 and 16 gigabytes as a storage device for XBox 360 content, and not just as a read-only source for movies/music/pictures.

While awesome in that you don't need to shell out cash for the proprietary memory units for "portable" gaming, a major concern I have this this is modding; many people are already modding the living daylights out of Modern Warfare 2 with convoluted/3rd party methods of accessing save data... will this make it easier for a person to access their save data? Right now I've seen nothing on the topic, and am looking to test this out. Stay tuned.

Quick Update:
    At the moment, there are no tools that can read the data files stored on an XBox 360-formatted flash drive. The XBox formats the drive as a FAT32 drive and dumps a few files onto it that look like where data is stored, plus some extra information. We don't have to worry about another epidemic yet, at least not until someone makes a tool that can read these files and let you browse them.
    Comments 29 Comments
      Limited -
      This has been floating around the web for a few weeks now, update is now available.

Once you commit the space on your USB, you cannot access the data via a computer. Therefore you cannot edit game saves or make mods for games etc. So it is secure.

You also do not have to use Microsoft certified USB drives (which are really expensive) you can use your own, although it will need some formatting and tweaking done.
      thehoodedsmack -
      That's amazing, considering you can pick up 1TB drives for around $100 these days. What a good, wholesome, consumer benefiting update.
      Llama Juice -
      ^ Only works up to 16 GB. Sorry.

neat though :P
      thehoodedsmack -
      Dayum.
      Spartan094 -
      Only up to 16 GBs for dedicated space in which the xbox 360 stuff can save towards. Im using my 500 GB external drive which has enough space for both use for the xbox and my laptop. So I moved GTA VI to my external drive, halo 3 beta (dont ask why), and a few other arcade games.

Since I have the ORIGINAL xbox 360 back from 2005 (no RRoD yet) since it has the default 20 GB hard drive. Also the xbox 360 came out on my b-day. Nov 22 2005 when I was 10 .
      Llama Juice -
      ^It's letting you use an external HDD?

Also, apparently you can use two 16 GB flash drives at a time if ye wish.
      Spartan094 -
      3 if your that desperate. Don't forget the back USB in the back of the xbox 360.

Also yes im using my 500 GB External Hard Drive I bought from Circuit City before they went out of business in USA.
      http://www.amazon.com/Western-Digita...N%3DB001F9LY14
      That;s what I am using.
      Saggy -
      Quote Originally Posted by Spartan094 View Post
      3 if your that desperate. Don't forget the back USB in the back of the xbox 360.

Also yes im using my 500 GB External Hard Drive I bought from Circuit City before they went out of business in USA.
      http://www.amazon.com/Western-Digita...N%3DB001F9LY14
      That;s what I am using.
      Back USB port does not allow device to be used as storage. Some restriction Microsoft put in place for some odd reason.
      Spartan094 -
      Nvm then. I guess two 16 GB space for usbs is enough with the largest xbox 360 hard drive you can possibly get (I think its 500 GB...or its 250) and the front ports for memory cards. Still it has more space almost next to a computer if you do all that.
      bravo22 -
      Wow, Microsoft is seriously overdue with this, and yet they make it crippled anyway.

I'm liking my 360 less and less now, the only reason I have one is so I can play multiplayer games with my 2 brothers on split screen (if we were doing it on PC we'd need to buy 3 copies of the game). Been thinking of changing to a PS3 but so far most of its best titles are also available on 360, so I haven't gone that far just yet.
      Llama Juice -
      Damn them for adding new functionality!

My guess is they're leaving that USB port open for Natal purposes.
      Warsaw -
      Why switch? Why not use both? There is no law saying you have to use one exclusively.
      p0lar_bear -
      Quote Originally Posted by Llama Juice View Post
      Damn them for adding new functionality!

My guess is they're leaving that USB port open for Natal purposes.
      It's also where the wireless adapter typically plugs into.

Also, it seems the whole point was to let people use flash drives as memory units instead of shelling out an unreasonable amount for proprietary flash memory (isn't the largest MU only 512 MB?), which is cool. Gives me a little portability if/when I go to a friend's house, and I can bring along any save data as well as my gamertag without having to recover it.
      Spartan094 -
      Also if you lose your usb drive with some downloaded full games off the market place, welp sucks to be you.

Also if you lose your usb drive with your gamertag doesn't that mean you CANT recover it or the gamertag is saved somewhere in ms data base.
      p0lar_bear -
      Also if you lose your usb drive with some downloaded full games off the market place, welp sucks to be you.
      You can redownload DLC you purchased from marketplace for free as many times as you want. Or if you're getting at the fact that you'd essentially be giving someone free games, yes, sucks to be you, but it also sucks to be the person who finds it, since if they delete the games, they can't redownload them.

Also if you lose your usb drive with your gamertag doesn't that mean you CANT recover it or the gamertag is saved somewhere in ms data base.
      You can recover your gamertag from anywhere at any time. However, it will invalidate any other instances of your gamertag should it attempt to log into LIVE anywhere else, to prevent multiple people from sharing a single gamertag simultaneously (or in this case, to prevent someone from hijacking your gamertag should they find it on a lost memory unit).

Really, this update doesn't really open any more concerns or possible security holes than before; all that's being done is essentially letting you use a flash drive as a memory unit, something that exists already.
      Spartan094 -
      I think you didn't get what I said about the full downloaded games, they are a good 6 GB to 10 GB and take awhile to download, the pain to wait for it to re-download if you moved it to your usb drive and lost it .
      p0lar_bear -
      At that size you would only be losing one game, maybe two tops. Also, using a flash drive for permanent storage is impractical, considering how easy it is to lose them and the size/price ratio. 250GB XBox HDDs retail at about $130, giving you about 15x the storage space for between 3-5x the price of a 16GB flash drive (priced around $24-50 depending on where/how you get it), not to mention that you can often get an HDD used for less than that.
      paladin -
      Quote Originally Posted by Limited View Post

Once you commit the space on your USB, you cannot access the data via a computer. Therefore you cannot edit game saves or make mods for games etc. So it is secure..

LOL wrong
      p0lar_bear -
      So someone has already made tools to read the contents of an XBox-enabled flash drive?

Not surprised at that if that's the case, though I'm surprised more at the fact that they aren't all over the place.
      paladin -
      ahhh... its the same as if you were using a jtag...