Conversation Between Warsaw and TVTyrant

10 Visitor Messages

1. I am a thread derailing MACHINE!
  2. On a fuckin' roll, dude.
  3. I do. I always check the Studio subforum. =o
  4. Check your studio thread
  5. I actually only just made the outline after I hit the wall. Usually when I write, I only make the outline afterwards as a formality.
  6. Interesting story idea. Once again thanks for the pointers. Maybe I'll put some work in and crunch an outline for the story based on that web. Usually I just let it happen, but organizing is something I need to start doing.
  7. Another thing you need to do is decide what the major events are in your story. Use those to make an outline. You can then add some sub-plots and weave them together using those same rules in creative ways.

As for dialogue...well...not sure how to help there. I just do what feels "right." I also try to avoid having my sentences reading staccato like the sound of semi-automatic rifle fire (e.g. blah blah blah...end. Blah blah blah...end. Blah blah blah...end.).
  8. To maintain believability you have to be able to justify everything without resorting to handwavium or unobtanium unless absolutely necessary (like FTL demands a tiny, tiny bit of handwavium). It's frustrating as hell, but when you look at your final product you can take pride in the fact that if somebody questions something, you can set them straight using the rules you set up.
  9. I have a similar problem. I have a primary story I want to tell following a girl's escapades in the interstellar navy posing as a boy during a civil war. I had trouble justifying her being in the military in the first place, though I feel that I have gotten around that by saying that women's roles have become restricted to their "traditional" spheres due to the constant state of warfare: we need them to rear children to replace the men fallen in combat and to fill some of the roles left open by said men going to war. Now I'm just having trouble deciding where I want to pick my story up after the prologue; do I want to watch my protagonist grow up or do I want to start her off in her mid-teens and go from there? Do I want a story style similar to Ann of Green Gables, Dune, or The Fall of Reach? Decisions.
  10. Cool tips I might keep that in mind. Part of my problem is my thought process on it- I jump too easily into content of a story rather than the world that revolves around it, and then the pieces I want to communicate the most get lost in translation. I once did a thing about and anti-Terror group, and it was going fine until I had to write the actual actions and events into the story. I had this whole elaborate setup with helicopters and a skyscraper and a nuke, and the whole thing fell apart because I progressed the plot points too fast.
Showing Visitor Messages 1 to 10 of 10