View RSS Feed

Skarma

Paused Development

Rate this Entry
So I started this new job a month ago and I have been working 48+ hours a week, fortunately and unfortunately. I am making lots of money towards the purchase of a new car because my other one broke and I had to sell it for scrap. The downside to this is I have no time for my hobbies that I enjoy. I do manual labor and each night I get home I am tired and sore so I just eat and go to bed and wake up doing the same routine. It really sucks but I gotta do what I gotta do right now. All my programming projects including Forge I am putting on hold for a while. At least until the season is over and I have enough time to sit down and do some meaty coding. In the meanwhile I went to the library and picked up a few good books about programming and math to read in my down time when I'm not working to stretch my brain and to get more knowledgeable in the subjects I love.

Before I started this job, I started researching project management and organization and came to realize that my development process of Forge and other projects are completely scrambled and follow no organization or planning whatsoever. I feel like this is what is taking me so long to develop shit and is slowing me down to a grind. I really think planning my Forge project out by setting goals and dates and organizing a list of things that need done will keep me in focus to what's going on. I work on random things here and there but in my mind there is no end to anything. So I think instead of working on coding I will rewind the tape and work on the planning process until I have something I can follow through with and improve on throughout the entire project development.

If anyone has experience in project planning, hit me up! I am open to any and all advice.

Submit "Paused Development" to Digg Submit "Paused Development" to del.icio.us Submit "Paused Development" to StumbleUpon Submit "Paused Development" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Pro tip: Plan everything out. When you know your good to go, make an objective list for things you want to accomplish in a set time period.
    Putting dependent goals into groups and working on one group at a time is a good way to work especially when you can only dedicate bits and pieces of your time. I used to work on projects randomly like you said, and after a long break I would come back to a lot of unfinished functionality and forgotten plans. Make sure you finish enough at a time so later you can pick things up again easily.
    I gave you objectives to work on man. :P