View RSS Feed

The p0lar_blog

Droopul

Rate this Entry
So the new platform we'll be using at my job is Drupal. To ease some headaches in the long run, I've taken it upon myself to convert my personal site from Joomla to Drupal.

Good god, this is complicated.

Having used Joomla (and previously Mambo) for years, I'm used to how a base install of it comes with a lot of core functionality, and thus, a defined way of doing things. Drupal comes with not a lot... but that's not a bad thing. In fact, that's what gives it its flexibility; the community support behind Drupal is amazing, and there are countless modules out there to expand functionality. That said, there's no defined way of doing things; you can shape it to do whatever you need it to do. Hell, we're turning it into an eCommerce platform at work.

At any rate, I just want to get this figured out for myself so I can get to theming it. I had a nice blue-colored template going for Joomla, and converting/finalizing it as a Drupal theme I'm sure will be an interesting and rewarding exercise.

Submit "Droopul" to Digg Submit "Droopul" to del.icio.us Submit "Droopul" to StumbleUpon Submit "Droopul" to Google

Categories
Devblog

Comments

Yeah I've done a couple of Drupal templates as well -- though it was a couple years ago so I'm a bit rusty. Basically it's just a matter of inserting the "blocks" of content you want in the DIVs that you want. It's a lot more than that obviously... and I didn't use Drupal to its fullest (if I knew I wasn't ever doing "X" I'd just remove the option from the template, etc.)

http://drupal.org/project/views

This module is essential. You've been warned.

((It's used for many things... a lot of modules have it as its dependencies... but it's mostly used for making custom table of contents. Example -- you have 3 websites on the same Drupal site... you can separate the content to three different "start pages"... which is really just 3 table of contents with views separating them off based on whatever criteria you choose to sort by -- viewing this page? Okay, display all the content in "X" group.))
    updated November 14th, 2010 at 11:15 PM
    I always had fun tinkering around with different CMS platforms, even though I didn't know php at all. I remember really liking Joomla and really not liking Drupal, can't remember why though. This was many years ago so I am sure they have all improved a lot since then.

What all do you do at your job?