View RSS Feed

Ifafudafi Writes a Blog

Ifafudafi Designs a Weapon

Rate this Entry
As neat as the weapons in my Plasma Packs were, not many of them were very practical. Both variants from Pack 2 are bulky, buggy, and impossible to make AI use properly, and the rest are basically duplicates of each other (i.e. Plasma Beam from Pack 1 and Impaler from Pack 3.) So I sat down to try and make a couple of new ones.

For the humans, I have the following basic non-power weapons:

Assault Rifle - All purpose mid-range weapon. Excellent power and accuracy with a 40 round clip and 2x zoom.
Pistol - Zoom is removed, reduced to an 8-round clip, accuracy cut ever so slightly, power cut drmatacially (6sk). Other than that, same thing.
SMG - 60-round bullet hose. Basically a copypaste of H1's AR with a slight increase in accuracy and slight decrease in power.
Battle Rifle - Not the 3-shot burst from H2/3. I called it this because an actual modern-day "Battle Rifle," according to a cursory glance at Wikipedia, is "intended to engage targets at long distances, but comes with a trade-off of length and weight that make it relatively cumbersome in close-quarter combat." Perfect for what I want. Analogous to Halo, it's more simlar to Reach's DMR. A 15-round clip and 3x zoom at 2.3 rps. Causes headshots and is a six-shot kill on a Spartan (or an Elite on Normal.) Accurate and powerful.
Shotgun - 8 rounds. Other than that, pretty much the same.

For the Covenant, all I have is:

Plasma Rifle - Intended to counter the AR. Slight increase in fire rate coupled with slight decrease in accuracy if continuously fired.
Plasma Pistol - Yeah
Plasma Spread - The shotgun analog. Less powerful than the Human shotgun but with fewer rounds per shot (meaning more damage per round) and a slightly higher fire rate.

And:

Needler - Woo
Impaler - The mid/mid-long range wapon.

The intent is to give each basic human weapon a Plasma counterpart and a Needle counterpart. The Assault Rifle sits alongside the Plasma Rifle and the Needler, for example. So the next on the list was creating a sort of Plasma SMG.

The first thing I thought of was just making a gun that spews plasma everywhere, but that's no fun; it'd just be like the SMG, but with plasma bolts. I then spent the next couple of hours basically inserting random values into the .weapon tag, giving me a wide range of ridiculous combinations of rate of fire, accuracy, and such. Eventually, I came up with this:

Plasma Sprayer - Takes a couple of Plasma Rifle attributes and runs with them. Rate of fire starts fairly slow (8rps), but over 1.5 seconds, increases to 22rps. Accuracy starts at just a little less than the Plasma Rifle, but over 3 seconds, is reduced to a cone wider than the shotgun. It overheats in 3 seconds. This essentially makes the heat meter an gauge of accuracy/rate of fire. If you keep the meter right in the middle, you get maximum accuracy and fire rate. Go below, and you lose rate of fire; go above, and you lose accuracy. Designed for short/mid-short ranges.

And then came the balancing.

As you've probably seen, I have a little map littered with cyborg_mp.bipeds which I use to tweak damage ratios until they're right where I want them. So here's what happens:

-I enter the first values.
-I save the tag.
-I compile the map.
-I open Halo.
-I load the map.
-I shoot some guys.
-Oh shit! Way too powerful
-I close out of Halo.
-I reopen the tag.
-I modify values.
-I save the tag.
-I compile the map.
-I open Halo.
-I load the map.
-I shoot some guys.
-Oh shit! Way too weak
-I close out of Halo.
-I reopen the tag.
-I modify values.
-I compile the map.
-I open Halo.
-I load the map.
-I shoot some guys.
-Oh shit! The fire rate gets too high too quickly
-I close out of Halo.
-I reopen the tag.
-I modify values.
-I compile the map.
-I open Halo.
-I load the map.
-I shoot some guys.
-Oh shit! It doesn't overheat quickly enough
-I close out of Halo.
-I reopen the tag.
-I modify values.
-I compile the map.
-I open Halo.
-I load the map.
-I shoot some guys.
-Oh shit! Now it never exits the overheat animation
-I close out of Halo.
-I reopen the tag.
-I modify values.

And so on and so forth. This goes on and on until I finally reach the perfect setting, at which point I stick it in campaign and see how it fares against good old fashioned AI.

Then comes the part where I design the particle effects, but I've gone into that process already. As of this point, all I know is that this gun will have pink bolts and will probably use a similar electricity/energy/smoke combination shared by the Plasma Rifle and Plasma Pistol, probably with a little favoritism towards smoke (versus the PR's elecricity focus and PP's energy focus.)

But you guys only want pictures and shit so here's what I've done to the Plasma Pistol in the upcoming mod:

Next up will be a walkthrough of the fancy new blood effects I've created (as in, actual new effects and decals, not the bloodfountain video.)

Submit "Ifafudafi Designs a Weapon" to Digg Submit "Ifafudafi Designs a Weapon" to del.icio.us Submit "Ifafudafi Designs a Weapon" to StumbleUpon Submit "Ifafudafi Designs a Weapon" to Google

Comments

You should make a literal blood fountain in halo. That would be cool.