View RSS Feed

Ifafudafi Writes a Blog

English 101 with Ifafudafi

Rate this Entry
Contractions.

I see everybody here keep mixing up your/you're, its/it's, and their/there/they're. Now you don't have to anymore.

Contractions showed up first in spoken language, and later migrated to written language after considerable use, as they provide no benefit to the writer and only slight benefit to the reader. The purpose of the apostrophe is simply to represent an omitted portion of the original phrase. Here's a quick list:

it's = it is
you're = you are
they're = they are
can't = cannot
don't = do not
ain't = not a word, only use sarcastically

So, this is an easy way to see if the word you're using makes sense. An example:

"You're penis is tiny" would translate to "You are penis is tiny." That sentence does not make sense, so you know that you should be using "your" instead. Again:

"I raped all they're sisters last night" would translate to "I raped all they are sisters last night," which also makes no sense. Keep in mind that "there" indicates a location ("over there"), and you know that the proper word to use here is "their." Now in reverse:

"your an idiot", a sentence which I see a lot on these forums. Unless you're trollin' (in which case you're not funny and need to die in a cancer fire), you should realize that your intent is to say "You are an idiot," meaning the proper word is "You're." "Your" is used to indicate ownership; "your pathetic sense of humor," for instance.

Congratulations, your smarter than you were five minutes ago.

Submit "English 101 with Ifafudafi" to Digg Submit "English 101 with Ifafudafi" to del.icio.us Submit "English 101 with Ifafudafi" to StumbleUpon Submit "English 101 with Ifafudafi" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

I'd like to add something else that was barely covered.

"it's" and "its."
    "its" is a possesive pronoun. Correct usage would be "Its tail is very long." Incorrect usage would be "Its going to blow!"

"It's" is a contraction for "it is" or "it has." Correct usage would be "It's going to rain soon." Incorrect usage would be "It's paws are covered in mud."

Wait! There's more!

"Alot" and "A lot."

"Alot" isn't a word. You need to put a space between "a" and "lot".
    A lot of people make this mistake.
    updated June 10th, 2010 at 08:37 AM
    Congratulations, your smarter than you were five minutes ago.
    Ha. You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink from said water. Assuming the horse knew how to consume liquids in the first place...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kornman00
    Ha. You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink from said water. Assuming the horse knew how to consume liquids in the first place...
    That was a test. You passed.
    sorry for you're blog post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ifafudafi
    That was a test. You passed.
    The laugh was at your test but the leading-a-horse-to-water phrase was in regard to the fact that you can preach to the internet all you want but it won't make anyone on it listen to anything you say.

CNnumbers pretty much exemplifies the attitude held by the majority of the interwebs
    updated June 11th, 2010 at 05:03 AM
    Consider it more of a rant than anything else. I'm used to people not learning shit no matter how much I yell at them, but I still like yelling occasionally.
    What are you doing over they're! Your dumb. I ain't gonna stand for you're ignorance!