+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Unreal Engine 1: Chill Out port (WIP)

Unreal Engine 1: Chill Out port (WIP)

There's a lack of UT mappers here, so finally decided to learn some Unreal Editor. Figured I'd start with something basic, Unreal Editor 2.0 (UT '99). I'm actually suprised at how easy it to just start building geometry once you learn how the brush works. Moving around the vertexes, adding, subtracting, etc.

It's very early. Here's a checklist of what I need to do before I'm satisfied with the level:

1. Finish level BSP geometry
    2. Add appropriate textures to the BSP
    3. Add light sources
    4. Add weapons
    5. Bot pathing
    6. (Optional) Static meshes, grass, etc

Quite a bit of work ahead, but I'm willing to see this project to the end. The editor is quite easy to use. Final map name will be DM-Relax.unr.

Here's a very, very early picture of what I've got so far, side-by-side with a top view of Chill Out. Nothing flashy, be warned!

E: Release:

http://rapidshare.com/files/179130758/DM-ChillOut.zip

E2: Youtubing with shitty ingame sound because Fraps is a fucking asshole
    This video is unable to be displayed because the YouTube video tags were used incorrectly. Please review proper use of the tags here.

Blog Entries
    Phopojijo has a brilliant future Phopojijo has a brilliant future Phopojijo has a brilliant future Phopojijo has a brilliant future Phopojijo has a brilliant future Phopojijo has a brilliant future Phopojijo has a brilliant future Phopojijo has a brilliant future Phopojijo has a brilliant future Phopojijo has a brilliant future Phopojijo has a brilliant future

Re: Unreal Engine 1: Chill Out port (WIP)

Cool... people seem to be jumping back into UE1 lately.

I chose it simply because I'm assuming it's the easiest engine to learn how to mod. If I pick this version of the Editor up well, I may consider redoing it for UT2004 as well. UT2004 was probably my favorite game in the franchise, believe it or not (Most of the original Unreal Tournament fans hate UT2004), and I'd definitely consider remaking it for that as well if this project is successful.

I may do a few weapon mutators as well. I've managed a few weapon function changes in UT3, but I know so little about UnrealScript at this point that I figured start with something simple and work my way up.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Inferno is on a distinguished road

Chillout

Good luck with your first mod.

Quote Originally Posted by Muki Hyena View Post
    I chose it simply because I'm assuming it's the easiest engine to learn how to mod. If I pick this version of the Editor up well, I may consider redoing it for UT2004 as well. UT2004 was probably my favorite game in the franchise, believe it or not (Most of the original Unreal Tournament fans hate UT2004), and I'd definitely consider remaking it for that as well if this project is successful.

I may do a few weapon mutators as well. I've managed a few weapon function changes in UT3, but I know so little about UnrealScript at this point that I figured start with something simple and work my way up.
    What ever happened to UT2003?

If I'm correct, then it should be UT1999(UT1), UT2003(UT2), UT2004(UT3), then UT2007(UT4). Why's it called UT3?

My fav. map! Good luck with making the level!

Quote Originally Posted by madkiller92 View Post
    What ever happened to UT2003?

If I'm correct, then it should be UT1999(UT1), UT2003(UT2), UT2004(UT3), then UT2007(UT4). Why's it called UT3?
    well UT2003 and UT2004 were pretty much the same game, 2004 was kind of an expansion in a way. Honestly, I'd be suprised if you could find UT2003 anywhere at this point, 2004 totally replaced it on store shelves because the games were so similar. You don't even GET UT2003 when you buy the Unreal Anthology, you get Unreal, Unreal: Return to Na Pali, Unreal 2, Unreal Tournament, and Unreal Tournament 2004. ... And of course the soundtrack audio disk that they don't mention on the package

So UT99 (Unreal Engine 1) would be UT1, UT2003 (Unreal Engine 2) would be UT2, UT2004 (Unreal Engine 2) would be UT2.5, and UT2007 (Unreal Engine 3) would be UT3. At least, I think that's the way Epic sees things.

Also, the level's coming along great, I've got most of the main rooms done, just need to add a few hallways and slopes and the BSP will be done. Then I have to worry about textures, weapon placement, bot pathing, lights... sigh

I'll post a screen when I've got the BSP done.

Taiko Drums = Win
    Blog Entries
    FRain has much to be proud of FRain has much to be proud of FRain has much to be proud of FRain has much to be proud of FRain has much to be proud of FRain has much to be proud of FRain has much to be proud of FRain has much to be proud of FRain has much to be proud of FRain has much to be proud of

I personally liked the name UT2007 better than UT3. I don't know why.
    [5:58:08 PM] Sascha Burckhardt: going into max with my busted hdd atm
    [5:58:12 PM] Sascha Burckhardt: so if it goes LOLOL BORK
    [5:58:26 PM] Inferno: dont make me send you a fucking HDD on overnight

BSP is pretty much done, so is the lighting, weapon/powerup placement, and teleports. I've made sure that if you can do it in Halo, you can do it in this port. IE jumping from Shotgun to the teleport bridge hall, making sure you can't snipe people coming out of the bridge teleport from sniper spawn, making sure you can see the overshield (shield belt in this case) from the main room. I've also replaced the Halo weapons with their UT equivalent; Shotgun is Flak, Plasma Rifle is Pulse Gun, Plasma Grenades is Bio Rifle, Pistol is Shock Rifle, Sniper is... well, Sniper. Health packs where they need to be, and there's even Invisibility in the right spot. All that's really left are spawn points and bot pathing. Is there a quick way to view Halo spawn points? I've never really done level editing in Halo, just weapon tagging.

E: Made some progress, found the spawn points with Sparkedit.

Here's the map so far, works reasonably well without bot pathing. I may leave it as is. Expect youtubing.

E2: Added LevelInfo as well as background music and a preview screenshot.

http://rapidshare.com/files/177488643/DM-ChillOut.unr

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Inferno is on a distinguished road

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information