I decided to be a write whore again.
For many people, their approach to modeling a M1913 rail starts with something like this:
This is actually rather inaccurate, but lets go ahead and assume you are giving up accuracy for an extra bit of performance. Right now there are only 22 triangles per section, but that is a lot when you think about how many of these sections are in a full rail. Worst case, let’s assume there are 50 of these (around that for something like this
) and you haven’t optimized put much effort into optimizing it.
1104 triangles; ouch, that’s probably a good percentage of your total triangle count. Now, we could remove some of those triangles that aren’t affecting the shape of the model. That would make things a little better, but we can do better than this. If we were to separate the mesh into two objects; one with all of the “teeth” of the rail and the other with the cleaned up base of the rail itself, we could shave off a bunch of triangles.
Wow, that’s almost half as many triangles as we originally had! We haven’t lost a bit of detail either and we can go ahead and add more detail into other areas or even into the rail itself:
(In this example I went ahead and made the “teeth” elements of the base’s mesh)
I've gone ahead and attached an example mesh so you can see what I did.
Have fun :3.