+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Password Authentication feature?

ExAm has much to be proud of ExAm has much to be proud of ExAm has much to be proud of ExAm has much to be proud of ExAm has much to be proud of ExAm has much to be proud of

Password Authentication feature?

Is there a way to activate some sort of password authentication feature, so I can install programs on my brother's account, so he can use them, without me making him an admin? If I install on my account, it gives him an access error. If Windows doesn't have that feature, I don't know what to think. I want to have at least some measure of control over what he does on my computer.

Over 560 ace pins across all characters

rossmum has a reputation beyond repute rossmum has a reputation beyond repute rossmum has a reputation beyond repute rossmum has a reputation beyond repute rossmum has a reputation beyond repute rossmum has a reputation beyond repute rossmum has a reputation beyond repute rossmum has a reputation beyond repute rossmum has a reputation beyond repute rossmum has a reputation beyond repute rossmum has a reputation beyond repute

Re: Password Authentication feature?

Just give him a new non-admin user account. That way, he can't install shit, you have to do it for him. He also won't be able to access your files, I don't think... though I'm the only one who actually ever uses my PC so I'm really not sure.
    sometimes bad posters say stupid things and i put them in here

Is On A Nightrain I_Am_Error117's Avatar
    In The Paradise City Where The Grass is Green and The Girls are Pretty
    I_Am_Error117 is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by rossmum View Post
    Just give him a new non-admin user account. That way, he can't install shit, you have to do it for him. He also won't be able to access your files, I don't think... though I'm the only one who actually ever uses my PC so I'm really not sure.
    yep.

Thanks to Xehsin for the Sig. + Rep me please.

InnerGoat killed my dakimakura waifu because I didn't post my desk :( jcap's Avatar
    jcap has a reputation beyond repute jcap has a reputation beyond repute jcap has a reputation beyond repute jcap has a reputation beyond repute jcap has a reputation beyond repute jcap has a reputation beyond repute jcap has a reputation beyond repute jcap has a reputation beyond repute jcap has a reputation beyond repute jcap has a reputation beyond repute jcap has a reputation beyond repute

Assuming you're running Windows XP (since Vista does this automatically), shift+right click on the application you wish to install and click "Run as...". You can enter the administrator account's username and password from there.

A second option is to limit his rights through gpedit.msc, the Group Policy Editor. You can regulate almost any task a user can perform on a computer through there.

Jcap seems to have the best solution here. Listen to him.

ExAm has much to be proud of ExAm has much to be proud of ExAm has much to be proud of ExAm has much to be proud of ExAm has much to be proud of ExAm has much to be proud of

Nice. Thanks. Now to persuade him to give up his admin privileges.

Over 560 ace pins across all characters

Legion, keep the spam in the april fools threads.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information