+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Password Authentication feature?

ExAm is on a distinguished road

Password Authentication feature?

Is there a way to activate some sort of password authentication feature, so I can install programs on my brother's account, so he can use them, without me making him an admin? If I install on my account, it gives him an access error. If Windows doesn't have that feature, I don't know what to think. I want to have at least some measure of control over what he does on my computer.

Over 560 ace pins across all characters

rossmum has a reputation beyond repute rossmum has a reputation beyond repute rossmum has a reputation beyond repute rossmum has a reputation beyond repute rossmum has a reputation beyond repute rossmum has a reputation beyond repute rossmum has a reputation beyond repute rossmum has a reputation beyond repute rossmum has a reputation beyond repute rossmum has a reputation beyond repute rossmum has a reputation beyond repute

Re: Password Authentication feature?

Just give him a new non-admin user account. That way, he can't install shit, you have to do it for him. He also won't be able to access your files, I don't think... though I'm the only one who actually ever uses my PC so I'm really not sure.
    sometimes bad posters say stupid things and i put them in here

Is On A Nightrain I_Am_Error117's Avatar
    In The Paradise City Where The Grass is Green and The Girls are Pretty
    I_Am_Error117 is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by rossmum View Post
    Just give him a new non-admin user account. That way, he can't install shit, you have to do it for him. He also won't be able to access your files, I don't think... though I'm the only one who actually ever uses my PC so I'm really not sure.
    yep.

Thanks to Xehsin for the Sig. + Rep me please.

InnerGoat killed my dakimakura waifu because I didn't post my desk :( jcap's Avatar
    jcap has a reputation beyond repute jcap has a reputation beyond repute jcap has a reputation beyond repute jcap has a reputation beyond repute jcap has a reputation beyond repute jcap has a reputation beyond repute jcap has a reputation beyond repute jcap has a reputation beyond repute jcap has a reputation beyond repute jcap has a reputation beyond repute jcap has a reputation beyond repute

Assuming you're running Windows XP (since Vista does this automatically), shift+right click on the application you wish to install and click "Run as...". You can enter the administrator account's username and password from there.

A second option is to limit his rights through gpedit.msc, the Group Policy Editor. You can regulate almost any task a user can perform on a computer through there.

Jcap seems to have the best solution here. Listen to him.

ExAm is on a distinguished road

Nice. Thanks. Now to persuade him to give up his admin privileges.

Over 560 ace pins across all characters

Legion, keep the spam in the april fools threads.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information