+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Anybody good with optimizing source maps?

jngrow is on a distinguished road

Anybody good with optimizing source maps?

I got myself a map here, but it chugs like a bitch, and also it won't render if i use the default bsp compiler (crashes in middle of rendering). It's not the best organized map ever or anything, but I still don't see why it would be chuggin this much. Yeah, it probably has to do with visportaling. If someone is interested in helping directly, PM me, but if you have any suggestions here, please post.

P.S.: chugs same amount regardless of vidya settings, on the PC you see in my specs and on a dual 2.5 8800GT 4GB RAM comp, if that means anything.

Banned
    Sel is on a distinguished road

Re: Anybody good with optimizing source maps?

tf2maps.net

As far as I know, here no one has really attempted source other than me, and I haven't got all that far past a spawn room, let alone to the optimizing stage of mapping. You'll probably get more help there.

Thanks

Aerowyn has a reputation beyond repute Aerowyn has a reputation beyond repute Aerowyn has a reputation beyond repute Aerowyn has a reputation beyond repute Aerowyn has a reputation beyond repute Aerowyn has a reputation beyond repute Aerowyn has a reputation beyond repute Aerowyn has a reputation beyond repute Aerowyn has a reputation beyond repute Aerowyn has a reputation beyond repute Aerowyn has a reputation beyond repute

The best thing I can tell you is to use the nodraw texture on every surface that WON'T be seen by a player in-map. Depending on the size of your map, it will take a huge load off of rendering the textures and so on.

Yeah, I did that, sadly made a very small difference. . The map has the same bizzare chug-stutter in all maximum or all minimum settings...

Aerowyn has a reputation beyond repute Aerowyn has a reputation beyond repute Aerowyn has a reputation beyond repute Aerowyn has a reputation beyond repute Aerowyn has a reputation beyond repute Aerowyn has a reputation beyond repute Aerowyn has a reputation beyond repute Aerowyn has a reputation beyond repute Aerowyn has a reputation beyond repute Aerowyn has a reputation beyond repute Aerowyn has a reputation beyond repute

Are you using custom materials/sounds/models/etc?

Because I know that when I made a CSS map, I had to use PakRat to get all that stuff in there and keep the size small.

Nope. All default HL2:Ep2 stuff

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information