+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: [WIP]New Mombasa "Sector 7" Training Facility.

Banned
    English Mobster is on a distinguished road

Re: [WIP]New Mombasa "Sector 7" Training Facility.

Oh dear, the polygon count...

I guess lots 'o portaling would help should it ever go into Halo...

Jean-Luc is on a distinguished road

Well, that bridge alone is 11,000 polygons (a little excessive, I know). Pretty much, if this were to go into Halo, either myself or someone else would have to model a lower res version of it.

or make a higher res version and bake it.

that's how everyone does it anyway.
    gallery-smellery!
    tutorial-brutorial!

Quake was a game where a guy jumped over your head at 30mph, spun, put 3 rockets in your grill and landed without slowing down and no one called "aim bot!" at it."

killer9856 is on a distinguished road

You should bake it, so when you render it it wont take as much time creating the render.

Truth be told, I don't mind high render times, especially when it means I can achieve a more detailed image. Baking high res models is great, but it tends to sacrifice a great deal of depth. Remember, it's the little touches like seeing an indent physically indent that lends believability to the model as a whole.

move to unreal3, and use parallax shaders.
    halo has a hard coded limit on how many triangles in level-geometry it's willing to draw at any given time, which lies around 100k if i remember correctly (feel free to correct me), any over that, and random triangles will just start disappearing.

another downside on having all your small stuff modelled in, is anti-alias edges everyhere, on top of shitty fps.
    CE supports normalmaps, and if you just bake a nice normalmap for your bridge, i'll guarantee you it'll look kick-ass ingame, and you won't be bothered by the no real depth of it, because it'll be properly lit with the normalmap applied. try it, and see for yourself.
    Last edited by neuro; September 9th, 2009 at 09:27 AM.
    gallery-smellery!
    tutorial-brutorial!

Quake was a game where a guy jumped over your head at 30mph, spun, put 3 rockets in your grill and landed without slowing down and no one called "aim bot!" at it."

Hang on a sec. This isn't going to be a map right off the bat, if at all. It is and always has been for rendering purposes. If it were ever to make it to map phase, then I'd have someone who actually knows what the hell they're doing in HEK or Unreal Editor 3 and I'd work with them to make it a map.

Also, sorry for the lack of updates guys. Been going through re-design after re-design on this environment and it wasn't until yesterday that I finally started getting something that worked. Hoping to have something to show later this evening.

double postin once more.

Yay! Progress pics. I've gone through 10 different designs and this is the one that's stuck. I'm less than 30% finished with the rough, and some of the stuff you see in there WILL change. The size is roughly 150-200 feet longer than Blood Gulch.

As far as what I'm designing it after, I'm using the style of Halo 3 ODST as a base, but I'm telling canon to go fuck itself. I'm gonna do what looks

SnaFuBAR has a reputation beyond repute SnaFuBAR has a reputation beyond repute SnaFuBAR has a reputation beyond repute SnaFuBAR has a reputation beyond repute SnaFuBAR has a reputation beyond repute SnaFuBAR has a reputation beyond repute SnaFuBAR has a reputation beyond repute SnaFuBAR has a reputation beyond repute SnaFuBAR has a reputation beyond repute SnaFuBAR has a reputation beyond repute SnaFuBAR has a reputation beyond repute

well i'm going to have to say that i like this a lot better than what you've done before.

paladin is on a distinguished road

Looks cool. I assume the blue is going to be a water feature?

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information