+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Community Mentoring.

Banned
    Chainsy is on a distinguished road

Community Mentoring.

Seeing as one of the big controversies and random bitching and moaning and truths about how fellow communities members treat others and how they deal "crit" in such blunt and unhelpful ways gave way to this idea.
    I say we start a sort of big brother program, where we assign an experienced member to help mentor one of less or equal skill. The point would be that you could learn new things while bonding with a member and enhancing your skills and learning to work as a team, and not in solitude. I believe we have many great artists with potential but they hardly post because of fear of their work not being appreciated and basically being all but mauled.
    So here's how it would work:
    1. Mentoree's post asking for whatever skill they want to learn and maybe offer a skill they can show
    2. A mentor will volunteer.
    3. That mentor and mentoree will then have a 2 week period of working together on whatever they deem fit, giving friendly advice.
    Being how not many mentors will be willing to do this, I set up for a period of 2 weeks so that the members who feel they want to better this place can be opened up for a new mentoree as soon as possible.
    I am hoping yall all see how this community needs some unity and friendliness, so we can all improve and actaully have a good name vs other modding communities, and not look like some back water internet site.
    Oh, also I was thinking of clocking hours on mentors, and whoever has the most hours after 4 weeks gets a prize.
    This is all still in theory and can be changed however we like.

mech has a reputation beyond repute mech has a reputation beyond repute mech has a reputation beyond repute mech has a reputation beyond repute mech has a reputation beyond repute mech has a reputation beyond repute mech has a reputation beyond repute mech has a reputation beyond repute mech has a reputation beyond repute mech has a reputation beyond repute mech has a reputation beyond repute

Re: Community Mentoring.

This is a dumb idea, you must be forgetting that people have lives.

teh lag has a reputation beyond repute teh lag has a reputation beyond repute teh lag has a reputation beyond repute teh lag has a reputation beyond repute teh lag has a reputation beyond repute teh lag has a reputation beyond repute teh lag has a reputation beyond repute teh lag has a reputation beyond repute teh lag has a reputation beyond repute teh lag has a reputation beyond repute teh lag has a reputation beyond repute

Mech has a point. Nothing prevents people from seeking out people on their own; I think most people here would be happy to give pointers to someone who's actually interested in learning without any formal community organization. I don't remember a time when I've turned someone down who IM'd me looking for advice unless I was busy at the time. I have a sense that feeling obligated to help someone for 2 weeks straight - and also being judged by how many hours you put in - could get irritating very fast.

I get where you're coming from, and for a site with more people who are more able to dedicate themselves to helping others it might work. But basically, people can already do this, but without the constraints of formality.

Higuy has a reputation beyond repute Higuy has a reputation beyond repute Higuy has a reputation beyond repute Higuy has a reputation beyond repute Higuy has a reputation beyond repute Higuy has a reputation beyond repute Higuy has a reputation beyond repute Higuy has a reputation beyond repute Higuy has a reputation beyond repute Higuy has a reputation beyond repute Higuy has a reputation beyond repute

this was tried out in halomaps back in late 2007.
    it failed, big time, and some actually decent people were running it.

The idea's alright, but something needs to motivate the actual person to want to learn it, and have more 1 on 1 so there not like, when its alot of other people with them too. Teh lags right, if you need help, find a tutorial, or someone that knows how to do it.
    "I don't know wtf I'm doing. Zbrush UI is like looking into the matrix."
    Lumoria - Youtube - Portfolio

Ganon has a brilliant future Ganon has a brilliant future Ganon has a brilliant future Ganon has a brilliant future Ganon has a brilliant future Ganon has a brilliant future Ganon has a brilliant future Ganon has a brilliant future Ganon has a brilliant future Ganon has a brilliant future Ganon has a brilliant future

not how the internet works sorry

Yeah, it's a bit too formal. People already seem to get a lot of good advice in their own threads/quick-crit. I suppose if the person wanted advice specifically from someone, they could just ask. Getting bored as fuck here at college, will help with any musical work.

I think its a good idea Chains.
    But its wouldnt work on this particular site me thinks.

OR, people can send other people a PM and ask for help and they sort their stuff out together in private :o
    gallery-smellery!
    tutorial-brutorial!

Quake was a game where a guy jumped over your head at 30mph, spun, put 3 rockets in your grill and landed without slowing down and no one called "aim bot!" at it."

Hunter is on a distinguished road

You know what, I have a better idea. People should just post their work no websites like this one, and accept the crit and stoping being pussies.

I had a lot of shit given to me when I joined, with all of my stupid txt language. But in the end you learn to accept the crit. As long as the person giving it isnt being a complete cunt.

I find it difficult to help people over text and recording and sending videos is annoying. The best way for people to learn is to mess around with the tools and try doing parts different ways ect...

Most people who have joined this community only seem to be interested in ripping other peoples work anyway... so whats the point.

(And mensioning the female part alot was not intensional )
    Last edited by Hunter; September 26th, 2009 at 02:28 PM.

Could've Moved Mountains
    legionaire45 is on a distinguished road

I remember way back when I bothered Snaf and ask for some help with 3ds.

He linked me some tutorials, gave me a lot of good advice and from there I moved on.

It's not that hard to click that little AIM button next to somebody's profile, you know. This idea seems rather unnecessary - all that people need to do is jump on aim and ask for some help. You don't need to turn this site into a day care in order to get people to learn some stuff.
    !

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information