+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 263 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 16 56 106 ... LastLast

Thread: Modacity shooters' thread

Re: Modacity shooters' thread

dole? a marine?

Thats cool. Post more gun experiences. also vids.
    With my bare hands

rossmum has a reputation beyond repute rossmum has a reputation beyond repute rossmum has a reputation beyond repute rossmum has a reputation beyond repute rossmum has a reputation beyond repute rossmum has a reputation beyond repute rossmum has a reputation beyond repute rossmum has a reputation beyond repute rossmum has a reputation beyond repute rossmum has a reputation beyond repute rossmum has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Rorschach View Post
    Cold is better than hot, believe me. We were out on the range for five or six hours a pop in 40-45 degree heat, full sun, and with a hot, dry wind. When we went to pick up our Steyrs after the range clearance we just about burned ourselves on them because the OD composite furniture absorbs heat so rapidly. Of course, then there were the two dudes who actually burned their necks on the hot barrels during the weapon inspection

Our section commander told us about how him and a bunch of other tankies actually set half of the Coltana range on fire using tracers a few years back (Coltana is fucking huge)... the fireys weren't impressed.
    sometimes bad posters say stupid things and i put them in here

Agree, cold is a lot better than hot when you're doing almost any kind of military training... To a degree obviously, -40 and colder is debatable depending on the gear and previous cold weather training you've had.

Quote Originally Posted by rossmum View Post
    Cold is better than hot, believe me.
    Well, gosh, even we had 45 degrees at high noon. <>
    But then again it wasn't centigrade.

Yeah, the heat can knock people out just like that no problem. My first month at Parris Island was still summer weather, and guys were dropping left and right. But at MCT in the morning you don't want to get up because the air is freezing not an inch away from the opening of your sleeping bag. Then you climb into clothes that you were wearing and sweating in the whole week (or in my case, most of the month). Then you've got to be in formation extra early to sit around and wait for an hour until you step for the range you're going to that day. Your toes and fingers sting like a bitch until you're well into walking, and before you know it you're sitting on the cold, damp ground and waiting a whole lot longer.

Glad I'm in California now and for the next year. Weather was as close to perfect as I could imagine today, and I've got the most ridiculous view of the desert and the surrounding mountains from where I am, even the snow-capped Sierra Nevada ninety minutes away on the horizon. Kind of landscape I've spent a lifetime in New York City dreaming about.
    Quote Originally Posted by ICEE View Post
    dole? a marine?
    Thats cool. Post more gun experiences. also vids.
    Gun experiences? 5.56 blanks + no earplugs = 5.56 live rounds + earplugs. 7.62 live rounds + earplugs = 5.56 live rounds + no earplugs = ears will hurt. 7.62 live rounds + no earplugs = ears won't feel a damned thing for a good half hour.

Vids? Didn't have a camera in boot camp (being that it was boot camp) or MCT (being that we weren't allowed to carry personal electronics). Most I've got is a picture of me holding an M16/M203 that my mother took before I left for MOS school. It's just me posing with it, as it was taken at an exibitory display for the visiting families, so if you're expecting something really cool, it aint it. Don't expect I'll be doing much shooting until I have to requalify in six months. I don't know. Maybe later, but that's the deal for now.
    Last edited by Rorschach; January 30th, 2010 at 10:52 PM.

rossmum has a reputation beyond repute rossmum has a reputation beyond repute rossmum has a reputation beyond repute rossmum has a reputation beyond repute rossmum has a reputation beyond repute rossmum has a reputation beyond repute rossmum has a reputation beyond repute rossmum has a reputation beyond repute rossmum has a reputation beyond repute rossmum has a reputation beyond repute rossmum has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, kind of bummed that I missed the platoon, section and individual photos (due to hospitalisation). I'll have to wait for the obligatory badass-with-rifle shots.

Finally got camera-PC link cable, owing to being at parents' place. Soon as we hit San Fran the heat was unbearable. Stepping off in Sydney, I was more than a little tempted to go find the next flight back to Canada and sneak on. Anyway, less bitching, more target photos:

First target. First time firing a handgun, first time using ironsights - Ruger P85, 9mm Para. Approx. 50-60 rounds fired at something around 10 yards (possibly 15). Shot on Jan 15th.

Second shoot; H&K USP in 9mm Para, same setup. Not sure if this was the pistol's doing or my own, but I guess it just wasn't made for me. Jan 25th.

Being disappointed with my results, I traded in the USP for the same P85 I'd shot previously. After expending all my ammo with much better results, the range supervisor let me put a mag through a Glock in .40 S&W. As far as I can tell, most if not all of the rounds I fired from the Glock went through the huge fuck-off hole in the centre.

Colt M1911. I am well and truly in love. Jan 28th, last shoot before leaving.

Sorry for the low res; Dad has bloody terrible satellite internet and will not be impressed if I blow his upload/download quota in the one evening.

Quote Originally Posted by rossmum View Post
    Yeah, kind of bummed that I missed the platoon, section and individual photos (due to hospitalisation). I'll have to wait for the obligatory badass-with-rifle shots.

Finally got camera-PC link cable, owing to being at parents' place. Soon as we hit San Fran the heat was unbearable. Stepping off in Sydney, I was more than a little tempted to go find the next flight back to Canada and sneak on. Anyway, less bitching, more target photos:

First target. First time firing a handgun, first time using ironsights - Ruger P85, 9mm Para. Approx. 50-60 rounds fired at something around 10 yards (possibly 15). Shot on Jan 15th.

Second shoot; H&K USP in 9mm Para, same setup. Not sure if this was the pistol's doing or my own, but I guess it just wasn't made for me. Jan 25th.

Being disappointed with my results, I traded in the USP for the same P85 I'd shot previously. After expending all my ammo with much better results, the range supervisor let me put a mag through a Glock in .40 S&W. As far as I can tell, most if not all of the rounds I fired from the Glock went through the huge fuck-off hole in the centre.

Colt M1911. I am well and truly in love. Jan 28th, last shoot before leaving.

Sorry for the low res; Dad has bloody terrible satellite internet and will not be impressed if I blow his upload/download quota in the one evening.
    West Edmonton Mall? Isn't that like the biggest mall in the world? I've been there, place was tight...

I don't think it is THE biggest in the world anymore, but it is one of the largest and most certainly in the top 5. He was in Edmonton for a few weeks, hence him being there... I usually go up once or twice a year, water park/wave pool is fucking amazing.

Oh god the USP groupings... You were most likely shooting at 15 yards, that's what the guys at The Shooting Edge have been setting me up at.

I'm down to a 3.5" grouping with the BHP MK2 as of this morning!

Yeah, I honestly don't know what happened with the USP. For starters I didn't like the sights nearly as much as any of the others; not sure what else did it. Either way, the 1911 more than met my expectations and the P85 was just great. Hopefully I'll be able to find a pistol club and then get a Class H, so I can get in some more practice. If I can put at least 80% of my rounds through an inch-wide radius, I'll be pretty content with that.

I fired a nagant m1895 and it was pretty fun. Wonky loading mechanism and stuff. I wish I'd taken a look at the target board before switching to rifle shooting. wonder how I did.
    With my bare hands

When it comes to sights, my favorite are by far fiber optic sights... Great for low light.

Truth be told however, I'm pretty shitty with the MK23, though I've only put 150 or so rounds down range with it...

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information