+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Linking stuff to the parent node?

Cwatididthar?
    Joe_King is on a distinguished road

Linking stuff to the parent node?

I'm trying to export a biped with bluestreak, but I keep getting "there is no geometry to export" message, I've gathered that I need to link all the geometry to the parent node.
    My question is, how do I do this?
    Im using 3ds max 2010 btw.
    Last edited by Joe_King; March 13th, 2010 at 10:09 PM.

Re: Linking stuff to the parent node?

You have to use hierarchy, in other words you need to do parent/child stuff. Press H to see your hierarchy, and the link tool should be on the top left on the toolbar. I don't know which specific bone you have to link the model to, I haven't done too much biped stuff.
    Last edited by t3h m00kz; March 13th, 2010 at 10:14 PM.

Cwatididthar?

I think I did it. When I try to export it now, I get a "MAXscript rollout handler exception --no "get" function for undefined"

I'm not familiar with that one, but I'm going to take a wild guess here.

Did you apply a multimaterial properly?

Cwatididthar?

When the message comes up, the script opens and this is highlighted "append face_shader_index ((findItem geom_materials geometry_objects[g].material[face_matID[f]]) - 1)"
    And no... when I got the model, there was already a material assigned to it. But it isnt a multimaterial. How can I make a multimaterial?
    Last edited by Joe_King; March 14th, 2010 at 12:03 AM.

I'm no pro on them, but I'll help how I can. Press M to bring up materials, click where it says "Standard," then select multi/sub-object. This will turn it into a "Multi-material," which is basically multiple materials/textures in one, it's how the Halo handles textures and materials applied to models. Assuming you're only going to use one, just delete all but one sub-material and set the last remaining sub-material to the texture you're going to want to use. Apply the material to your model, then you need to select all of the faces of your model and assign them material number 1, 1 being the first (and only) submaterial in the multimaterial.

You're going to want to name the sub-material (Which will be "01 - Default" by default) the name of the shader you're going to want to use, assuming you've already run your bitmaps through Tool and made a shader out of them. If you haven't, you can just do it later, which is what I usually do.
    Last edited by t3h m00kz; March 14th, 2010 at 12:19 AM.

Cwatididthar?

Uh, I think this will be my last question. I'm an absolute nub in 3ds max atm. How do I select all of the faces in the model? :/

Con has a reputation beyond repute Con has a reputation beyond repute Con has a reputation beyond repute Con has a reputation beyond repute Con has a reputation beyond repute Con has a reputation beyond repute Con has a reputation beyond repute Con has a reputation beyond repute Con has a reputation beyond repute Con has a reputation beyond repute Con has a reputation beyond repute

If you're in face editing mode you can just go Ctrl+A to select them all.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information