+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: A Debatable Proposal!

Re: A Debatable Proposal!

Part One: Message to Dwood

This isn't new, so... what's going on in this thread...

The design you're presenting is something I've seen in my Political Science courses, and it is used often for measuring the power and control of states.

But I think we're all confused as to why it's in the debate forum instead of a user blog, when the overall message of the thread is "guys, I think we should..."

Part Two: Revelation of Thread

So now that we understand that Dwood is presenting a common political indicator, we can move onto the real purpose of the thread, which he states in his first post: where is the United States on that line?

In my opinion, it's probably near the center, averaging the different areas of the US's political landscape, some things give citizens a lot of freedom, while others demonstrate high government control. Americans aren't Nazis, but they aren't tree-hugging hippies either. That's just the view of a Canadian, though. What do some actual Americans think?

Shaka when the walls fell sleepy1212's Avatar
    sleepy1212 has much to be proud of sleepy1212 has much to be proud of sleepy1212 has much to be proud of sleepy1212 has much to be proud of sleepy1212 has much to be proud of sleepy1212 has much to be proud of sleepy1212 has much to be proud of

I think our two parties are pretty much the same and that they merely represent the wishes of corporations and NGO's. This, to me, creates an atmosphere of tyranny. Whether we rank left or right globally I'd say we're somewhat right but headed left swiftly. Internally, each state varies quite a bit and on many issues so i think leftness and rightness are potentially extreme in some but still, on average, middle-of-the-road.

This is pretty interesting and relevant : Freedom Index

(I read their FAQ but I haven't double checked their sources)

"Darwinist faggots who are as despicable as the rest, walking around eating your Triscuits."

Republicans and Democrats in the US are the same. The argue the same point, with different representation.

You have diabetes and can't eat a cup cake.

People today aren't so much as Republican or Democrat as they are Conservative, Liberal, or Moderate. I'm a mix of Conservative and Moderate, mainly because most of my opinions are in the middle right. However, I don't like massive government, which means I want the Republican party to represent me. The big issue is that moderates are mostly Independent and conservatives/liberals are automatically labeled Republican/Democrat, which is terrible because moderate Republicans/Democrats are insulted greatly when the former does something stupid.

"We also tried switching back, but they say we're using too many resources. Fuck them."

Your right, theres a difference between liberal/democrat and conservative/republican. People who think they are the same are idiots.

You have diabetes and can't eat a cup cake.

if the shoe fits.

and i'd strongly advocate that the libs on this forum do not see it in this black and white business.
    we call it how we see it, and quite frankly what we see is disturbing.
    found some old assets of mine from 8 years ago lmao

Shaka when the walls fell sleepy1212's Avatar
    sleepy1212 has much to be proud of sleepy1212 has much to be proud of sleepy1212 has much to be proud of sleepy1212 has much to be proud of sleepy1212 has much to be proud of sleepy1212 has much to be proud of sleepy1212 has much to be proud of

Quote Originally Posted by Bodzilla View Post
    what we see is disturbing.
    Australians?

"Darwinist faggots who are as despicable as the rest, walking around eating your Triscuits."

In Germany we just have it like this:

Left
    Social

Center
    Liberal

Right
    National

Obviously the parties are sitting like this in the parliament as well.

Obviously just flipped (Die Linke is Left-Winged).
    Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sitzverteilung%2&#4.jpg‎
Views:	30
Size:	84.4 KB
ID:	1628  

do you guys remember political compass it maps on axes of social control and economic regulation, similar to what's going on here...

...as for the United States, it is pretty firmly locked in the middle in my opinion. It's difficult to get things done in American government, and although we are very adamant about our personal freedoms, our military and corporate machinery represents an unprecedented ability to enforce our will... The United States slips economically left every once in a while as the natural tendency of the market to have money stagnate at the top periodically drives opinion leftward and results in irreversibly popular social programs. As the middle class grows back, opinions again head back rightward. However, the degree to which we are authoritarian depends on a separate perception of national security, well-founded or otherwise. The two party system causes a cycle of discontent which leaves us paddling our national kayak in a circle, with us steadying just long enough to pass through the rapids of serious crises. Although some actions of the US are obviously very dubious ethically, the United States compares quite favorably to and remains a more reasonable actor than its predecessors in the game of empire.

I'd say it's in the middle. We're far from being anarchistic, but also really far from being under tyranny, liberal/far left communism/socilism (which are both very different in many ways but I consider both more liberal), and conservative/far right fascism.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information