+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Forge WIP Thread

NotZac is on a distinguished road

Re: Forge WIP Thread

Rob, as interesting as that map is, it's a little difficult to tell what's for decoration and what actually contributes to the layout. IMO, it just looks difficult to navigate. However, it's aesthetically brilliant, so props.

I think it's easier to tell what's what when you're actually in the space and can deduce depth from your movement and whatnot, but there's a good chance I'm biased.
    The framerate drop is most noticeable in Forge, but it's there in slayer as well, and that's just me in there with no other players or physics or explosions going on... I'm looking into how I might address it.
    Thanks for the input.

ejburke has much to be proud of ejburke has much to be proud of ejburke has much to be proud of ejburke has much to be proud of ejburke has much to be proud of ejburke has much to be proud of ejburke has much to be proud of ejburke has much to be proud of ejburke has much to be proud of ejburke has much to be proud of ejburke has much to be proud of

Check to see if you have a lot of stacked transparencies from that angle. Seeing glass through glass through glass might cause problems.

It seems you have some FX combo working. You might try reducing or turning them off to see if that helps.
    GT - Echo Ten

ejburke has much to be proud of ejburke has much to be proud of ejburke has much to be proud of ejburke has much to be proud of ejburke has much to be proud of ejburke has much to be proud of ejburke has much to be proud of ejburke has much to be proud of ejburke has much to be proud of ejburke has much to be proud of ejburke has much to be proud of

You know what determines the primary hill in KOTH? Spawn Sequence 0? Nope. Highest spawn sequence number? Nope. It is determined by the hill marker's Y COORDINATE. Closest Hill to Y 0 is the only Hill that will ever be active in vanilla King. What in the fuck, Bungie? This is retarded. I can't put the primary hill in the middle of my maps, unless I only place one hill, making Crazy King useless. God damn it.
    GT - Echo Ten

TeeKup has a reputation beyond repute TeeKup has a reputation beyond repute TeeKup has a reputation beyond repute TeeKup has a reputation beyond repute TeeKup has a reputation beyond repute TeeKup has a reputation beyond repute TeeKup has a reputation beyond repute TeeKup has a reputation beyond repute TeeKup has a reputation beyond repute TeeKup has a reputation beyond repute TeeKup has a reputation beyond repute

That guardian stature is very nice. :3

Here's hoping you can emulate the map perfectly when you fix the frame rate issue.

Futzy Futzy Futzy Futzy Futzy Futzy Futzy Futzy Futzy Futzy Futzy

fuck you ↑ you ↖ you ↗ you ↙ you → you ↓ you ↩ you ↪ you ↬ you ↫ you ↪ you ↩ you ↲ you ↯ you ↱ you ↰ you ↷ you ↳ you ↶ you ↴ you ↵ and you ↺

sevlag is on a distinguished road

meh

The dynamic lights in the guardian and the combination of special effects actually don't affect the framerate at all, surprisingly.

Well, I spent a good 60 minutes moving all the objects into the colosseum...

I didn't bother trying to get them properly aligned, as you can tell; I just wanted to see how it would look inside the colosseum and if that would help the framerate issues. It looks fine and it does fix the framerate issues. But, there are a few problems:
    1: The colosseum is about 3 units narrower than the original arena; it's been shortened from 33 units to 30 units, and the change is noticeable in the bases.
    1.5: It's a bit shorter as well, but I'm debating whether a slight decrease in the vertical distance is actually a bad thing.
    2: I can't see the sky out the windows anymore, and I liked that about the other version.
    3: It's dark inside the colosseum- so dark, in fact, that I can no longer get away with that combination of effects, which makes me sad because I really liked the way that combo brought out the colors and contrast.

On the plus side, the walls and floor of the colosseum allow me to use fewer objects to seal the arena in some key areas, and the sound environment in there sounds much more appropriate than it did when the arena was outside, and once again it does fix the framerate issue.

So, should I keep the old map, outside with nice colors and nice skybox and try and reduce the number of objects used to fix the framerate problem, or should I rework the map to fit inside the colosseum and not have pretty scenery outside?

e: side-by-side color comparison:

Looking at those side-by-side, it looks like when I transferred it I squashed the bases a lot more than I needed to. I think I have plenty of room to fit the arena perfectly into the colosseum, so the only downside (other than having to realign all those hundreds of objects one-by-one) is that I don't get the rich colors. Thoughts?

ee: The more I look at it, the more I think it might actually be better without that combination of effects. Hm...
    Ah, yes, I thought I was misspelling that... I wasn't sure if I should capitalize it or not. Anyways, fixed the spelling at any rate.

By the way, I'm trying to decide between two different names right now. Antechamber of Transept... Antechamber makes more sense and I think it sounds better.
    Last edited by Rob Oplawar; October 17th, 2010 at 04:40 PM.

NotZac is on a distinguished road

Colosseum.

Sever has a brilliant future Sever has a brilliant future Sever has a brilliant future Sever has a brilliant future Sever has a brilliant future Sever has a brilliant future Sever has a brilliant future Sever has a brilliant future Sever has a brilliant future Sever has a brilliant future Sever has a brilliant future

You are using nudge values to position your objects, right Rob?

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information