+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Kinect, who has it, used it, thoughts?

Blog Entries
    =sw=warlord has a reputation beyond repute =sw=warlord has a reputation beyond repute =sw=warlord has a reputation beyond repute =sw=warlord has a reputation beyond repute =sw=warlord has a reputation beyond repute =sw=warlord has a reputation beyond repute =sw=warlord has a reputation beyond repute =sw=warlord has a reputation beyond repute =sw=warlord has a reputation beyond repute =sw=warlord has a reputation beyond repute =sw=warlord has a reputation beyond repute

Re: Kinect, who has it, used it, thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Llama Juice View Post
    @Polar

I know you wanted the bastard child of PS Move and Kinect, but is a Wiimote + Kinect okay?
    you mean this?

Delta4907 is on a distinguished road

This video is unable to be displayed because the YouTube video tags were used incorrectly. Please review proper use of the tags here.
    This is pretty funny, and sad at the same time, watch the guy.

Haha that's awesome... and sad. Yes.

Anyhow, this Kinect thing is impressing me more and more.

I just played (and lost) a game of table tennis online... and just.. the fact that it does motion capture you and your opponent is really really interesting. To see the avatars do their little taunts and victory dances that you know some nerd across the world is doing in their living room is just fantastic haha.

That was my first online table tennis game... and just.. even without using headsets you can tell what they're implying and such.

I started the match by pointing at the other player and then pointing at the ground and jumping on it. He started laughing and shrugged. Halfway through the game he got an Ace on me and started a little victory dance and... there's just something about it that makes it awesome haha.

I was laughing and smiling the entire time, while losing.... (5-11)
    <-- click it!

it's gimmicky and retarded. it's a PS2 eyetoy with fancier games.

This video is unable to be displayed because the YouTube video tags were used incorrectly. Please review proper use of the tags here.

the menus in the games are fucking painful. after playing Diablo 1 and 2, I feel content in saying Kinect games have terrible UIs.

the hardware is unique enough, I'm looking forward to seeing some homebrew PC games or something, but as far as XBox games so far, I'm not at all impressed.

Have you used it?

I say that because every experience I had with the eyetoy was horrible and didn't work well. Whereas I haven't had any of those problems with the kinect. If you wanna troll and say "OH IT'S THE SAME SHIT" then by that logic The Xbox 360 is just an Xbox with fancier games.
    Last edited by Llama Juice; November 22nd, 2010 at 11:41 AM.
    <-- click it!

I tested it for three or four months

Also how is having an opinion in a thread asking people's opinions trolling

Where do you work sir? One of my roommates tested it as well haha. He isn't much a fan of it either.

Also, I was assuming you were trolling because I disagree almost entirely on everything you said, and to say that the device is just a webcam is silly, then again to knock it for having "fancier games" just doesn't make sense considering that it was designed to have "fancier games" so.. it's doing it's job there.

I will agree with you partially on the menu stuff... but at the same time have you played Dance Central? The menu system in that game is awesome. I really liked the way they used the motion stuff to make the menus a lot more fluid and less "okay now hold your arm out for two seconds on this button."

The Kinect Dash is horrible though, not a fan of that thing at all. That menu is clunky and horrible and just bad to use. I pick up a controller if I wanna use the dashboard.
    Last edited by Llama Juice; November 23rd, 2010 at 01:48 PM.
    <-- click it!

Tested in a microsoft building in Redmond. Don't know if your friend worked in the same place or not.. Millennium Campus

I've not had the pleasure of playing dance central yet. It does look interesting enough, from what I've seen... though so far the only game I've had any real hands-on with is Kinectimals. Selecting things in the UI is painful.. The UIs need refining, some better way to do things, at least something. I actually think the mo-cap device for the PS3 is doing it right with the whole semi-controller/motion detector thing they've got going on. seems like it'd allow for more movement precision and detection than the kinect could, though who knows, could be a buggy POS

Kinectimals played way better if you just kinda let the game happen to you rather than you trying to force things on the game haha. That being said, I dunno if it'd be really fair to base your opinion of the unit on a game geared for little kids. I enjoyed it, but I tried to avoid the menus as much as I could by just doing whatever the pixie thing or my cat wanted. If you aren't playing with it, it'll bring you a toy and ask if you wanna play. When I actually would be going through menus it wasn't that great of an experience, but I assumed that kind of stuff would just get better over time in these kinect titles.

The dance central menus work where there's a list of stuff on the right for your different game options... so you hold your arm out to the right to hover over whatever option you want (there's no onscreen cursor) and when the one you want lights up, you slide your arm left (or reverse all that for anything on the left) It keeps with the feeling of the game and just feels better than the default menu stuff.

As far as the PS Move, all I've played with it was a tech demo nearly a year ago at GDC. The real difference is that the PS Move doesn't detect your whole body, it can kinda get your arms and face, but the rest of you just doesn't exist.

That and the idea of buying another set of controllers for a console isn't really all that appealing to me. I like that I don't have to go buy something new for every person I want to play with me for the Kinect.

All that being said, I'm not going to buy a Kinect until a price drop. The unit we're using is a borrowed one, so I haven't had to pay anything to play all the stuff I've been playing (which makes it THAT MUCH BETTER for me haha) I don't like the $150 price point, but I can understand why M$ is doing it. (Apparently they have $500 million invested in just advertising for this thing... so as a business they really do need to inflate the price a bit haha.) I'd assume a price drop next year for christmas, and at that point there'll probably be a handful of neat games worth buying the unit for.
    <-- click it!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information