Closed Thread
Page 5 of 39 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Quick-Crit 2011

TeeKup has a reputation beyond repute TeeKup has a reputation beyond repute TeeKup has a reputation beyond repute TeeKup has a reputation beyond repute TeeKup has a reputation beyond repute TeeKup has a reputation beyond repute TeeKup has a reputation beyond repute TeeKup has a reputation beyond repute TeeKup has a reputation beyond repute TeeKup has a reputation beyond repute TeeKup has a reputation beyond repute

Re: Quick-Crit 2011

^ Bad Company and Bad Company 2 try to mask this with their animations as they seem lively and jumpy I've noticed. Still their animations are crisp and well done.

Posts, posts EVERYWHERE! Warsaw's Avatar
    Warsaw has a reputation beyond repute Warsaw has a reputation beyond repute Warsaw has a reputation beyond repute Warsaw has a reputation beyond repute Warsaw has a reputation beyond repute Warsaw has a reputation beyond repute Warsaw has a reputation beyond repute Warsaw has a reputation beyond repute Warsaw has a reputation beyond repute Warsaw has a reputation beyond repute Warsaw has a reputation beyond repute

Screen shake is an inexpensive way to provide the illusion of randomized firing animations. It works. While I do appreciate the finer details of a game more than most, that is one of those things where I honestly don't care. I'm too busy shooting, admiring the lighting, or being dead.

I have to agree. FP animations are only a small fraction of the whole experience.

ODX has much to be proud of ODX has much to be proud of ODX has much to be proud of ODX has much to be proud of ODX has much to be proud of ODX has much to be proud of ODX has much to be proud of ODX has much to be proud of ODX has much to be proud of ODX has much to be proud of

To me, FP Animations are a big big part of the game because you see them all the time. I'm not going to be bothered by one textural error or something because it's in only one area. The animations are in front of me all. the. time. If they aren't good then my experience actually suffers because it just becomes boring when my gun doesn't even look like it's shooting or reloading, or like they were made by someone who isn't even a professional to a point there's clipping and other obvious errors.

The main point is that it's all personal preference though.

Warsaw has a reputation beyond repute Warsaw has a reputation beyond repute Warsaw has a reputation beyond repute Warsaw has a reputation beyond repute Warsaw has a reputation beyond repute Warsaw has a reputation beyond repute Warsaw has a reputation beyond repute Warsaw has a reputation beyond repute Warsaw has a reputation beyond repute Warsaw has a reputation beyond repute Warsaw has a reputation beyond repute

Oh I'm not saying they can look like crap. I agree that if the animation is terrible, then the experience is ruined. However, with one or two good firing animations you can create a good experience and make it even better with inexpensive solutions such as screen shake. Just changing the perspective at which you view an animation slightly can alter how the whole thing looks. It works.

ODX has much to be proud of ODX has much to be proud of ODX has much to be proud of ODX has much to be proud of ODX has much to be proud of ODX has much to be proud of ODX has much to be proud of ODX has much to be proud of ODX has much to be proud of ODX has much to be proud of

I know all too well how screen shaking makes animations "look" better but they really aren't. All the time on Youtube I see inexperienced CS:S animators posting animations, and then making the camera go wild to a point that people comment "OMG THIS IS SO COOOL AND AWESOME GOOD JOB" when in reality it's easy to see through the tricks and notice the animation is really bad.

It really shouldn't be a tool that animators should fall back on, but rather a nifty little trick to make a good animation even better as you've said.

ICEE has a reputation beyond repute ICEE has a reputation beyond repute ICEE has a reputation beyond repute ICEE has a reputation beyond repute ICEE has a reputation beyond repute ICEE has a reputation beyond repute ICEE has a reputation beyond repute ICEE has a reputation beyond repute ICEE has a reputation beyond repute ICEE has a reputation beyond repute ICEE has a reputation beyond repute

at the same time though, theres a big difference between the screen shake that is emulated by the animator, and the shake that is set up automatically by the game. When done right, it can really look good. Most animators on the youtubes just dont do it well.
    With my bare hands

Critique please:

The pose looks a bit stiff, and it's not a terribly interesting perspective, but I can't see any gigantic flaws. Though there is something about the camera left arm that's bugging me.

I see what you are saying. I think the left forearm might be a bit longer than the right forearm; it's hard to tell at that angle. It's the subtle things that are really hard to execute and I'm trying to work on that.

Anybody else have anything to critique on it? Seriously trying to improve my drawing ability here. It's been kind of stagnant for over a year and a half now.

Closed Thread

Thread Information