+ Reply to Thread
Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 12 20 21 22 23 LastLast

Thread: Halo: Cryptum

Re: Halo: Cryptum

Quote Originally Posted by Hotrod View Post
    That's a fair point, and while I do agree with you, it doesn't stop me from enjoying it all the same.
    Fair enough.

"We also tried switching back, but they say we're using too many resources. Fuck them."

Blog Entries
    TeeKup has a reputation beyond repute TeeKup has a reputation beyond repute TeeKup has a reputation beyond repute TeeKup has a reputation beyond repute TeeKup has a reputation beyond repute TeeKup has a reputation beyond repute TeeKup has a reputation beyond repute TeeKup has a reputation beyond repute TeeKup has a reputation beyond repute TeeKup has a reputation beyond repute TeeKup has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Hotrod View Post
    Ur is german (I believe) prefix that means "Original".

Either way, I'm definitely am looking forward to the books, since I loved the first too. And before anybody goes "ER MAI GAWRD, HOW CAN YOU LIKE THAT SHIT?!". It's called opinions, some people have different ones.
    Hotrod that doesn't make any goddamn sense. Didact is derived from Didactic which is latin. Why would a Latin title have a German prefix, that's just stupid.

Halo 4 Plotline:
    What did the Master Chief say to Didact after the Didact insulted him? Ur-Didact.

"We also tried switching back, but they say we're using too many resources. Fuck them."

Hotrod has much to be proud of Hotrod has much to be proud of Hotrod has much to be proud of Hotrod has much to be proud of Hotrod has much to be proud of Hotrod has much to be proud of Hotrod has much to be proud of Hotrod has much to be proud of Hotrod has much to be proud of Hotrod has much to be proud of

Quote Originally Posted by TeeKup View Post
    Hotrod that doesn't make any goddamn sense. Didact is derived from Didactic which is latin. Why would a Latin title have a German prefix, that's just stupid.
    Don't ask me, it's just what I read in some interview about the book. Don't ask for the source, I don't have it nor am I looking for it.

Proof that I'm not an idiot: http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/ur-

In plus, Great Bear stated that there are two Didacts that are alive in Silencium, meaning that the original must not have been executed by Faber, the Master Builder, as was previously thought.
    Last edited by Hotrod; July 17th, 2012 at 07:34 PM.
    What do you call a lasgun with a laser sight on it? Twin linked :3

Blog Entries
    TeeKup has a reputation beyond repute TeeKup has a reputation beyond repute TeeKup has a reputation beyond repute TeeKup has a reputation beyond repute TeeKup has a reputation beyond repute TeeKup has a reputation beyond repute TeeKup has a reputation beyond repute TeeKup has a reputation beyond repute TeeKup has a reputation beyond repute TeeKup has a reputation beyond repute TeeKup has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not calling you an idiot, I'm calling Greg Bear an idiot for not understanding or following the paradigms and patterns of established languages. The vacuous manatee that he is.

Hotrod has much to be proud of Hotrod has much to be proud of Hotrod has much to be proud of Hotrod has much to be proud of Hotrod has much to be proud of Hotrod has much to be proud of Hotrod has much to be proud of Hotrod has much to be proud of Hotrod has much to be proud of Hotrod has much to be proud of

Oh, oops, I thought you were saying that my explanation was stupid, not that Greg Bear's "Ur-Didact" was stupid, my bad.

But yeah, I do agree that it makes no sense and sounds a bit silly, why not just call them "Didact" and "Bornstellar-Didact"?

Or why not say something like "Ante-Didact" or even the "Antecedent" ("antedens" means pre-existing in Latin and we all should know that Antecedent means something preceding) which gives the previous Didact a more serious title? Something as simple as Ur-Didact just seems like it's one of those unintelligent attempts at creative design, like naming something Unobtainium simply because it's difficult to obtain. It also reaches the trope "Did Not Do the Research" which has already been explained in the thread.

More on "Did Not Do the Research" trope:

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...tDoTheResearch
    Last edited by DarkHalo003; July 18th, 2012 at 06:09 PM.

Not to mention that Ante-Didact sounds much better than Ur-Didact. The latter sounds like somebody screaming "LOLOL, UR TEH DIDACT!!1!!1!one!11!!"

Quote Originally Posted by DarkHalcyon View Post
    Screw you, Greg Bear.

[22:33:00] <Rentafence> i scroll down and Tnnaas fucking avatar and signature are giving me fuckign seizures
    ☢ ☢ ☢ Invest in USB 2.0 expansion cards. ☢ ☢ ☢

dazman23 is on a distinguished road

So anyone got Silentium yet? was thinking the other day when does the third book comes out, checked today and was shocked it was already out lol I'm just waiting for the Kindle version.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information