+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Project: Unify Halo Custom Edition

Project: Unify Halo Custom Edition

The Problem
    The most common problem in Halo Custom Edition is that there are players playing on two big versions (v1.00 and v1.09). The latest version has fixed several exploits (mostly DoS) but the only crack that exists is for version v1.00. After v1.08, SafeDisc was stripped from the original executable and thus a CD is not required anymore. Still the majority of pirates are still playing servers on v1.00.

Our Goal
    Our goal was to unify both versions into one by having the Halo Custom Edition Dedicated Servers appear on both server lists (v1.00 and v1.09). This is done by having the server switch every interval its own version and afterwards sends the information to GameSpy. It might be for a short period of time that the server will not appear on one of the lists. Our tests have shown though that this small sacrifice still leads to a higher player count inside the server.

http://www.vivid-abstractions.net/?p=466

Enjoy.

For all you trolls: CD Key Check was not removed.

Re: Project: Unify Halo Custom Edition

Quote Originally Posted by Patrickssj6 View Post
    The Problem
    The most common problem in Halo Custom Edition is that there are players playing on two big versions (v1.00 and v1.09). The latest version has fixed several exploits (mostly DoS) but the only crack that exists is for version v1.00. After v1.08, SafeDisc was stripped from the original executable and thus a CD is not required anymore. Still the majority of pirates are still playing servers on v1.00.

Our Goal
    Our goal was to unify both versions into one by having the Halo Custom Edition Dedicated Servers appear on both server lists (v1.00 and v1.09). This is done by having the server switch every interval its own version and afterwards sends the information to GameSpy. It might be for a short period of time that the server will not appear on one of the lists. Our tests have shown though that this small sacrifice still leads to a higher player count inside the server.

http://www.vivid-abstractions.net/?p=466

Enjoy.

For all you trolls: CD Key Check was not removed.
    you do know that alot of people play1.00 because they like to boat
    meh

boat? Good thing you quoted my whole post otherwise I wouldn't know your reference.

Quote Originally Posted by sevlag View Post
    You do know that a lot of people play 1.00ce because they like to bot.
    ftfy

Then his concern is completely redundant because...

Most bots work on 1.07 and higher and some of them are exclusively 1.07 and higher.
    CD Key Check is still in place.

Great app, finally a solution to this problem.

Does anyone know the total number of players that are normally on at one time across all versions?
    Last edited by Timo; January 24th, 2011 at 03:59 PM.

Higuy has a reputation beyond repute Higuy has a reputation beyond repute Higuy has a reputation beyond repute Higuy has a reputation beyond repute Higuy has a reputation beyond repute Higuy has a reputation beyond repute Higuy has a reputation beyond repute Higuy has a reputation beyond repute Higuy has a reputation beyond repute Higuy has a reputation beyond repute Higuy has a reputation beyond repute

1.00 normally has a around 800 - 1200 from what I've seen at times.

1.09 - like 100.
    "I don't know wtf I'm doing. Zbrush UI is like looking into the matrix."
    Lumoria - Youtube - Portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by Timo View Post
    Great app, finally a solution to this problem.
    Thanks for the positive feedback.

Contacted =CE= and =DG= since they host the most servers...we'll see how this turns out I guess. Though this is to promote more custom maps on v1.00 and they just play the usual crap like Snipers No Shield.

Oh and apparantly some people really have hypochondrias. "When I am playing 1.09 I don't want any 1.00".
    Last edited by Patrickssj6; January 24th, 2011 at 04:42 PM.

Thanks a bunch Pat, I've been talking with Skyline about a different approach to this that might work slightly better. He was thinking of integrating it into his server app eventually (busy now), but how does this idea sound?

Have an app, or some kind of modification to the server that broadcasts a "ghost" 1.00 server to gamespy. Now, it's not an actual server, it's just broadcasting the server data from the "real" 1.09 server like gametype info, player info, etc. However when someone connects to this "ghost" server it actually connects them to the 1.09 server. This would eliminate the current (small) issue where the server alternates between versions instead of showing up on both simultaneously.

Maybe you could look into this Pat? If you get anywhere with it, please share your results with Skyline!

The thing is that GameSpy refuses (I think) the same server from the same IP/Port for two versions. Making it appear simultaneously impossible. Furthermore the client requests the connection IP from GameSpy so there is no way to "ghost" it from somewhere else.

GameSpy would have to accept a connection from a single IP/Port to appear on both lists.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information